File Systems

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung NC10, Black. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have bought a Samsung SLC ssd (32gb) to install in my new Samsung NC10. I run Windows XP Home. What is the best file system to use for this, FAT32 or NTFS?

I use the netbook for Email and web browsing mainly, with some photo manipulation with Adobe Photoshop 7 on my travels .

I am new to ssd’s.

NTFS and turn off page file.

Thanks Jethro. How exactly do I turn off the page file? I am a retired accountant and not very computer aware. I travel a lot since retiring, and bought the ssd for its robustness. As you can see I am verfy new to the club and am very impressed with such a prompt reply.

1. Head to Start
    2. Select Control Panel
    3. Select Performance and Maintenance
    4. Select System
    5. Select Advanced Tab
    6. Under Performance, select the Settings button
    7. Select Advanced Tab
    8. Under Virtual Memory, select the Change button
    9. Adjust as needed, or select “No paging File,” then select the Set button
  2. Select the Ok button to apply the settings
  3. You must reboot for the changes to take effect

Hi,[QUOTE=johnedlord;2222151]How exactly do I turn off the page file?[/QUOTE]Leave it as is, especially since you want to use Photoshop.

Michael

Thanks to you both. To get the best of both worlds, would it be correct to turn off/on page filing as and when I am using Photoshop I perhaps only use this prog for a couple of hours per week. Would doing this have any bad effect on my new machine? I have upgraded the Ram to 2gb, if this is relevant. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2222178]Hi,Leave it as is, especially since you want to use Photoshop.

Michael[/QUOTE]I agree, since it’s a netbook and probably doesn’t have a large amount of ram.

You may require a BIOS update for the laptop for the SSD drive to work properly though, and you will probably require SATA drivers to re-install Windows on the SSD.

Alternatively for the Windows re-install. Use something like Acronis True Image to made an image of your existing HDD and just clone this to the new SSD. Having said that, you may not have enough room on the SSD to do this.

[QUOTE=johnedlord;2222213]Thanks to you both. To get the best of both worlds, would it be correct to turn off/on page filing as and when I am using Photoshop I perhaps only use this prog for a couple of hours per week. Would doing this have any bad effect on my new machine? I have upgraded the Ram to 2gb, if this is relevant. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
Leave the page file as is unless you love Windows trouble.

Thanks for your advice. I will certainly leave the page file alone. As mentioned my new ssd is SLC. I only considered FAT32 files because I notice that some read/write speed tests were done on MLC ssd using FAT32… I am pleased to be able to use NTFS. I am enjoying my first day on this forum. As mentioned I am new to ssd’s.