File Structure and Naming Questions

vbimport

I am just starting out with DVDFab, and am very excited to hopefully convert my DVD collection so I can get rid of the crappy Sony firewire changers I have now. I have been messing with DVDfab, and it seems to rip very well. However, it always puts things in several layers. I get this, for instance, with the movie Chicken Little: MainMovie\LTL0NNF1\Video_TS\All the VOBs are here. XBMC, and a few of the other programs I am considering, do not seem to recognize any of this. Any ideas on the best way to arrange the folders? Also, can I change the name of the Movie file in the setup before I rip? If I do, will it mess anything up? I would prefer not to have movies listed as LTL0NNF1, and as Chicken Little instead.

Thanks!
Brian

Moved to the DVD Fab forum. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=twitami;2130551]I am just starting out with DVDFab, and am very excited to hopefully convert my DVD collection so I can get rid of the crappy Sony firewire changers I have now. I have been messing with DVDfab, and it seems to rip very well. However, it always puts things in several layers. I get this, for instance, with the movie Chicken Little: MainMovie\LTL0NNF1\Video_TS\All the VOBs are here. XBMC, and a few of the other programs I am considering, do not seem to recognize any of this. Any ideas on the best way to arrange the folders? Also, can I change the name of the Movie file in the setup before I rip? If I do, will it mess anything up? I would prefer not to have movies listed as LTL0NNF1, and as Chicken Little instead.

Thanks!
Brian[/QUOTE]

Once ripped you can rename the ‘LTL0NNF1’ folder and move it anywhere you want on your hard drive.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2130575]Once ripped you can rename the ‘LTL0NNF1’ folder and move it anywhere you want on your hard drive.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

dvdfab uses whatever it finds in the dvd title field on the original DVD to create the main folder name - usually this is similar or identical to the movie title, but not in this case, apparently.

so just rename it, but don’t rename the video_TS subfolder. you can delete the audio_TS sub- folder which will always be empty for a regular DVD & you can delete the .xml file if you don’t need it.

NB you can turn off the use of full disc, customise, main movie etc subfolders somewhere in the user options

[quote=cybmole;2130576]dvdfab uses whatever it finds in the dvd title field on the original DVD to create the main folder name - usually this is similar or identical to the movie title, but not in this case, apparently.

so just rename it, but don’t rename the video_TS subfolder. [B]you can delete the audio_TS sub- folder[/B] which will always be empty for a regular DVD & you can delete the .xml file if you don’t need it.

NB you can turn off the use of full disc, customise, main movie etc subfolders somewhere in the user options[/quote]
:eek: That is not always a good idea because some standalone dvd player will not play the disc without it :doh:
besides it being empty it takes up no memory on the disc

twitami
Read this page in the Tutorial:
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsGeneral
The volume name can be changed after you click Next, near the bottom of the page on the left. This is also in the Tutorial, here:
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToDVDMainMovie
Scroll down to the second screen capture.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2130576]dvdfab uses whatever it finds in the dvd title field on the original DVD to create the main folder name - usually this is similar or identical to the movie title, but not in this case, apparently.

so just rename it, but don’t rename the video_TS subfolder. you can delete the audio_TS sub- folder which will always be empty for a regular DVD & you can delete the .xml file if you don’t need it.

NB you can turn off the use of full disc, customise, main movie etc subfolders somewhere in the user options[/QUOTE]

The sub folders within the volume folder (‘LTL0NNF1’ in this example) should remain untouched.

I’m with StormJumper on this one.

Although in practice you can manage without the AUDIO_TS folder most of the time, there’s no practical benefit from removing it so why take the risk.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! Didnt see a few of those settings in the menu, think i got it now.

Glad you was able to get it sorted out from all the mumbo-jumbo between us members(friends) :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2130615]The sub folders within the volume folder (‘LTL0NNF1’ in this example) should remain untouched.

I’m with StormJumper on this one.

Although in practice you can manage without the AUDIO_TS folder most of the time, there’s no practical benefit from removing it so why take the risk.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I though that the OP wanted to organise & store his DVD backups on hard drive. in that case it is safe to delete all the empty audio_TS folders. no practical benefit - I guess I’m just obsessively tidy :slight_smile:

IF you view only with powerDVD, then you can actually rename the video_TS folder - it does not care & will play anyway, but other PC players are more fussy.

as for standalones, is it really the case that any recently made player will insist on seeing an empty audio_TS folder. I know that it’s in the DVD spec but I figure that 99% of stand-alones don’t check for it. none that I’ve ever owned have refused to playbackups which did not have that empty folder.

i will always change the name in DVDFab before ripping if i do not like the original name.

also if burning with ImgBurn, an empty audio_ts folder will be created by default if not present.

not sure if your player will play ISO files, but this might be an easier to handle option.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2130819]as for standalones, is it really the case that any recently made player will insist on seeing an empty audio_TS folder. I know that it’s in the DVD spec but I figure that 99% of stand-alones don’t check for it. none that I’ve ever owned have refused to playbackups which did not have that empty folder.[/QUOTE]

That’s basically what I’ve said.

A very high percentage of standalones won’t have any problems but there’s no point in not including it as it takes up virtually zero space.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I am not making any DVDs from them, it is only for ripping to HD for my upcoming super awesome DVD server (once I figure out what the hell I am going to use…Drobo, HP Mediasmart, etc)

Leaning towards the new XBMC for Windows for the software part, it is really slick looking.

Need to decide for sure if I just want to rip to VOB and leave it at that, or some other format.

You should have a look at some network media players like the Popcorn Hour, Ziova CS615, etc.

I also favour the standalone HDD HDMI Players like the MIDTE range where you can store a terrabyte of movies created with Fab’s mobile option and fit around 800-1000 movies on their newest model.

[QUOTE=twitami;2131358]I am not making any DVDs from them, it is only for ripping to HD for my upcoming super awesome DVD server (once I figure out what the hell I am going to use…Drobo, HP Mediasmart, etc)

Leaning towards the new XBMC for Windows for the software part, it is really slick looking.

Need to decide for sure if I just want to rip to VOB and leave it at that, or some other format.[/QUOTE]

rip to vob if you have space & if you watch on big screen - 500gb will hold about 100 mian movies. that way there’s no hassles with preserving subtitles, coping with out-of sync etc problems that some people experience when altering the format. VOB will stream OK on a good wireless g connection.

any other (compressed) format ccan only make the pircture a little worse, it can never be better than the original, only smaller in fale size, but as hard disc space is so cheap, whay bother ?