File size on a cd

vbimport

I have two Mpeg files both which I wish to burn to cd one is 723mb and the 715mb how can I burn them to cd without cutting them.
Can it be done without losing quality I really don't want to convert them to DivX as I'm not sure about the settings to use.
help they are sitting on my drive taking unecessary space.

thanks G.

If your writer supports it, try 90 minute media.
Perhaps you can overburn just enough to fit it on a 700 MB cd…

If the MPGs are vcd compliant and each clip is 80 minutes or less then you can burn them onto an 80 minute cd as a vcd. VCD’s go by time instead of size.

Use nero & and create a vcd, can take files up to around 800 MB on an 80 minute cd. The actual capacity of an 80 minute cd is over 800 mb, data cd’s use approx 100 mb for error correction PSX, VCD & Audio dont

Originally posted by JoeSoap
The actual capacity of an 80 minute cd is over 800 mb, data cd’s use approx 100 mb for error correction PSX, VCD & Audio dont

“is over” = read “is”

You could try to use TMPGenc Plus with a KVCD template (PAL or NTSC) to record more than 80mins on a single CDR.

So far I have managed to get 1hr 40mins on a single 80min CDR.

All you have to do is adjust the bitrate to fit onto the cd.

chrome ;0)

You can also go in to nero, file, preferences, look for the expert tab, when you get there, look for the enabling overburn, mine is set at 84 minutes for the maximum time. Try changing that also and usuially Nero will not ask the not enuff space question.

But be careful, because overburning can cause the drive to go out of specs and damage itself.

A 650 MB 74 minute data disk will hold about 737.8 MB in the VCD format without overburning due to its no error correction sector size of 2,324 bytes (ISO Mode 2 Form 2). A standard data disk uses a sector size of 2,048 bytes.

If your MPEG files are VCD compliant, you won’t have any problem fitting them on a CDR.

when I go to burn them using nero it says my cd is too small
I’ll just get some 90min cds
thanks for the help’

You havent really got the point, in nero create a new VCD project, drag the mpegs in at the bottom (like you do when creating audio cd from mp3,s) and they WILL fit on on 80 minute cd. Also this way you can play on stand alone dvd aswell as pc

I don’t wish to loose any quality as it very good and to convert it to vcd format I’d loose quality. So I think the best option is to use 90min cds.
thanks for the help.

VCD is exactly the same as MPG, you dont loose quality, why do you think they split the files into 700mb plus sizes, just to fool you?, no so they can be put on VCD - what they are intended for

Originally posted by Inertia
no error correction sector size of 2,324 bytes (ISO Mode 2 Form 2). A standard data disk uses a sector size of 2,048 bytes.

random thought - mode2 form2 = 2328 bytes

source : http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dank/software/cdrom.h.html

its trivial :wink:

Yes, your comment is trivial - and misleading. :cool:

There are 2,324 bytes of [b]usable[/b] user information in a CD-ROM/XA Mode 2 Form 2 format. CD-I Bridge (conforms to the CD-ROM/XA specification) is the format used for VCD, and 2,324 bytes is the sector size that must be used to determine the capacity of VCD recording.

See CD-ROM Specification
and CD-ROM Formats
and CD-ROM/XA Mode 2/Form 2
and CD-ROM Capacity
and CD-ROM Sectors

those 4 bytes of overhead though…god damned windows ;)…just goofing

on a side note - someone in another thread mentioned whether their vcd was PAL or NTSC? kinda freaked me out…