File Renamer ! Need Help!

vbimport

Hei to you all. I have a Problem. Its like this : I have collected pictuers from 4 digitalcameras and in total around 500 of them but they are not very organiced. Every digi.cam. has its own namingsystem on the files but there are details like date and time added to the files and thats how I would like to sort them. I need a Rename program that can rename all these files by the time and date they was taken starting with the oldest firsth and the newst last. I have tryed Lupas Rename 2000 but can`t find such future in there … anyone know of such proggi ?

Im gonna burn out the pictures on a DVD / CD so I can play it on a DVD player and had hoped that I could sort it fisth so the oldest starts first and whit the oldest last. I also had hoped that I could add a soundtrcakt to it all but Ill take that laster. I need to sort the files first.

TheRename

Flexible File Renamer

and

Rename Master

both freeware

the first is more complicated to use, but have many more functions and presets

I personally recommend TheRename since I personally use it, and it tends to be more flexible and get around trying to rename complex filename structures with a little work with the template syntax

Rename a Series of Files

When you download photos from your digital camera, they often have unrecognizable names. You can rename several similar files at once with the following procedure. This also works for renaming other types of files.

1.Open the My Pictures folder. (Click Start, and then click My Pictures.) Or open another folder containing files that you want to rename.
2.Select the files you want to rename. If the files you want are not adjacent in the file list, press and hold CTRL, and then click each item to select it.
3.On the File menu, click Rename.
4.Type the new name, and then press ENTER.

All of the files in the series will be named in sequence using the new name you type. For example, if you type Birthday, the first will be named Birthday and subsequent files in the series will be named Birthday (1), Birthday (2), and so on. To specify the starting number for the series, type the starting number in parentheses after the new file name. The files in the series will be numbered in sequence starting with the number you type. For example, if you type Birthday (10), the other files will be named Birthday (11), Birthday (12), and so on.

from http://freepctech.com/pc/xp/xpindex.shtml

Thanks everyone I`ll try out the programs …

[QUOTE=KickF]Hei to you all. I have a Problem. It`s like this : I have collected pictuers from 4 digitalcameras and in total around 500 of them but they are not very organiced. Every digi.cam.[QUOTE]

I recommend to try Fast Photo Renamer.

My personal favorite is Bulk Rename Utility [freeware]:
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Another good one is 1-4a Rename [also freeware]:
http://www.1-4a.com/rename/rename-features.htm

Remember in renaming files BY DATE that you do indeed get a proper sort. [IE, you obviously don’t want a name like File001_Oct 1, 2005.JPG or a name like File001_1Oct2005.]

For this reason, I recommend renamers that have a preview window so you can see/test your renaming before you commit. And, an “undo” option is also nice as well.
Too, you mayl need to consider file extensions as well, if they’re not all the same, ie, JPEG and JPG may sort differently depending on your program, since some will take the extension into account. And here, you could conceivably wind up with two files with same basename but with different extensions? eg File001_10-10-2005.BMP & File001_10-10-2005.JPG. This could affect your sorting order, but maybe not enough to matter.

If you can’t find one that works to your satisfaction from here [several good ones have already been listed], then I’d suggest trying alt.comp.freeware [Usenet]. First search for recommendations; if you don’t find any relevant postings, then post your own. If you don’t have Usenet access, you can search/post from groups.google.com for free. It’s easy – you can search quickly; if you want to post, you simply need an email address. To set up a Google Groups acc’t takes but a minute or two.