File problem

hi!

what do i do if i am downloading a big 30mb of rar file which has video file inside and i wish to open it half-way to verify the content in it before downloading the file fully ??? the main reason is i have dial up connection :frowning:

Regards ,
arun_34

bet with Mr.B who posts the fastest reply for this problem i have…

You need to get the whole file
//Danne

Originally posted by DiiZzY
You need to get the whole file
//Danne

that is NOT possible

please help me

Originally posted by arun_34
bet with Mr.B who posts the fastest reply for this problem i have…

Only found a Linux version so far :slight_smile:

There are some methods in winrar itself though :

Three ways to view an incomplete Rar Archive:
Way One - in WinRar

1. UnRar the typical way via WinRAR, but with the Keep Broken Files box checked
  2. once the program gives you the incomplete error message, before hitting okay or cancel, go into the folder the program has created.
  3. The video should be there.
    If you have the first parts it should play up to the first missing chunk, and if it’s a mpg it might play past it.

Way Two - in Dos

You will need to have Winrar to use this. As long as you have the first (.RAR) section and any consecutive sections - .r00, .r01, .r02, etc from a DOS shell you can assemble all consecutive sections and STILL SAVE the file.

1. Place a copy of Rar.exe into the directory with the rar parts you do have, up to the “break” in the chain.
  2. From a DOS prompt type: rar e -kb moviename-~1 .The e command extracts the file, and the -kb paramater says to keep broken files

Some problems encountered and how to correct:

1. Since you are in DOS you need to do a DIR to make sure how the RAR file is named.
  2. I found that the filenames for the different sections vary slightly (nymph_-_XXX.rnn, Nymph–XXX.rnn, etc.) I had to go back and rename some of them so they would be consistent with the chain. You’ll recognize this when you get the error message "file Nymph??? fails CRC check. If you have that section go back and make sure it has the same name RAR.EXE is looking for.

Way Three - misc

Or, I’ve noticed using WinACE that it’ll unRAR incomplete RARs.

Source : http://usenethelp.codeccorner.com/WinRar.html

If you use Opera’s download manager or some other download manager it might be possible to open the file you are also downloading. However , if you use RAR , it expects a closed file. It might close the file itself (thus failing the download !) automagically.

I will try those 2 methods today and report it back to you . thanks for the information btw .

do you have any idea , which program is the best to crack open encrypted(i think otherwise : password protected ) files in compressed formats and also for ms office application protected by a password .

Originally posted by arun_34
[B]I will try those 2 methods today and report it back to you . thanks for the information btw .

do you have any idea , which program is the best to crack open encrypted(i think otherwise : password protected ) files in compressed formats and also for ms office application protected by a password . [/B]

Most archive programs use a DES or DES3 algorithm to password protect the content. It’s virtually impossible to crack a DES3 password on a single system , but there are tons of shareware programs that make use of backdoors, keywords listings and other stuff. I suggest taking a peek at the software that www.snapfiles.com offers.

MS protection is pathetic , there are tons of shareware products for that.

It’s usually some pr0n video that’s password protected, but i’m not gonna tell ya how i obtained such information :slight_smile:

Also, if the file inside happens to be an AVI file you need to strip its
index and rebuild the file before you can watch it.
http://www.divx-digest.com/ has tools for this. Search for “divxfix”.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Most archive programs use a DES or DES3 algorithm to password protect the content. It’s virtually impossible to crack a DES3 password on a single system , but there are tons of shareware programs that make use of backdoors, keywords listings and other stuff. I suggest taking a peek at the software that www.snapfiles.com offers.

MS protection is pathetic , there are tons of shareware products for that.

:slight_smile: [/B]

@Mr.B , i tried those two methods without any success. dont bother abt it since i got fed up of the problem .

snapfiles.com is very useful and i will later download a software for office application key breaker .

It’s usually some pr0n video that’s password protected, but i’m not gonna tell ya how i obtained such information

you are right abt pr0n video . i downloaded one another day and couldnt crack its password . tried Advanced password utility and it didnt work out . :slight_smile: