File missing

vbimport

I just had to re-install my system, just would not boot. Well I have it up and running, but when I try a crossword puzzle I do a lot it tells me the puz. extension is missing, I’m sure there are going to be others, does anyone know of a freeware program that deals with missing file extensions: I used one a long time ago and cannot find it. I hate those programs that are all over the net charging $30.00 and up just to replace one file.

You don’t have a missing file extension.

What you have is that you are trying to open a file that Windows does not know anything about. A file with the extension .PUZ is not a standard Windows file. To use these files before you rebuilt your system, you would have needed to download the specific software that understands PUZ files. Maybe you did this so long ago that you do not remember doing it.

Now that you have re-installed Windows, you will need to re-install the software or program that knows how to open and use PUZ files.

Did you try to Google for ‘what are PUZ files’ or ‘how to open PUZ files’?

RM

I just did a quick look on Google and found several sites describing and a few showing software downloads to open these PUZ puzzle files.

This one is from the creator of the crossword puzzle software and it’s free:

http://www.litsoft.com/

There are even some browser plugins tha make it so your web browser understands how to open these files.

The PUZ format is even used by the New York Times online paper.

[QUOTE=RichMan;2567685]You don’t have a missing file extension.

What you have is that you are trying to open a file that Windows does not know anything about. A file with the extension .PUZ is not a standard Windows file. To use these files before you rebuilt your system, you would have needed to download the specific software that understands PUZ files. Maybe you did this so long ago that you do not remember doing it.

Now that you have re-installed Windows, you will need to re-install the software or program that knows how to open and use PUZ files.

Did you try to Google for ‘what are PUZ files’ or ‘how to open PUZ files’?

RM
Thanks again . To answer your question , yes I tried Googled several references to Puz. but the one you gave me was the right one, worked. Thank you very much, I can now do my NY Times puzzle again.

I just did a quick look on Google and found several sites describing and a few showing software downloads to open these PUZ puzzle files.

This one is from the creator of the crossword puzzle software and it’s free:

http://www.litsoft.com/

There are even some browser plugins tha make it so your web browser understands how to open these files.

The PUZ format is even used by the New York Times online paper.[/QUOTE]
Tryed Google several times, could not find a way to do it for free, was about to buy some program I would probably never use again, but guess what, yours was the solution. Thanks very much.