File count limitations on burn cd / Nero software

vbimport

Does anyone know the number of file names allowed on a cd to be burned?

[QUOTE=mandrakis;2026114]Does anyone know the number of file names allowed on a cd to be burned?[/QUOTE]

Just my two cents but, a cd holds 700MB of data so really depends on how much data is in each named file.
But on the other hand also depends on how you store the data on the cd to, I hsve burned a few music cd as an image file with over 8 hours playing time with some where around 50 or so files.

Hi,
I meant to say, how many files will fit on a regular cd. Lets say the files are 1k bytes each. There is a limitation to the number of files you can store on a cd but I cannot find that listed anywhere. I have asked Nero but they cannot seem to get a handle on what I am asking.

I can burn a hundred or so cd’s and add 500 files at a time till it fails and then subtract 50 each time until it suceeds but it would be a lot easier if I knew the number.

Thanks for the reply…

I have 452000 files that will fit on a cd space-wise but the number of files is what is stopping me.

[QUOTE=mandrakis;2026136]Hi,
I meant to say, how many files will fit on a regular cd. Lets say the files are 1k bytes each. There is a limitation to the number of files you can store on a cd but I cannot find that listed anywhere. I have asked Nero but they cannot seem to get a handle on what I am asking.

I can burn a hundred or so cd’s and add 500 files at a time till it fails and then subtract 50 each time until it suceeds but it would be a lot easier if I knew the number.

Thanks for the reply…

I have 452000 files that will fit on a cd space-wise but the number of files is what is stopping me.[/QUOTE]

A regular cd hold 700MB and like I said depends on the size of each file,…if they are 1k each just add it up until you have 700MB of data you will find the answer.
unless I’m missing something in your Q

I believe the problem you are actually having is related to the disc format that you are trying to use and/or you aren’t complying (or basically your files don’t meet) to the rules of the format you are trying to use. Ref ISO 9660 and any other format you are using on wiki.

In how many folders are those file??

It would be easier to pack them into some packages (rar) and then burn.

Thank you all for your responses.
In answer to your suggestions:
1)

I have approx. 360 folders. For each CD I want to burn.

The cd will not be run out of space. Maybe half full.

When I add the files 1 folder at a time it is painful and when it fails I have to go back and subtract some folders and try again, over and over.

I an old enough to also be a DOS programmer and we knew what the number of files or number of folders (directorys) you could copy at a time. I would think that info has to be out there somewhere. Windows has not answered me yet either.

I do appreciate your answers.

CMTJG

Hello. Most 3rd-party burning programs will show you the amount of CD space your compilation will require before you burn it to disc. Imgburn is a free, versatile authoring/burning program that will calculate the project size before you burn, and it will also let you choose the file system(s) you’d like to use (ISO9960/Joilet/UDF). You might consider giving it a try.

Each sector on a CD-ROM disc is 2048 bytes. No 2 files can reside in the same sector. So, even if a file is only 10 bytes big it will take a complete sector of 2048 bytes.

From the spec:

Inner most start area = 24.80mm
Outer most end area = 58.00mm
Smallest track pitch (distance between the spirals) = 1.50µ
Slowest disc roatation = 1.20 meters/second
Channel bit rate = 4.3218Mhz

With the above parameters there will be 359,837 sectors on the CD. So the max number of files would be 359,837. But the ISO-9660 file system to describe that many sectors will also use some of the available sectors.

RM

RichMan
Your last post seem like a good idea to try. I will try 300,000 files to start and that will probably get me close enough for a trial and error.

Tropic
It shows only about half full when I have 400,000-500,000 files but it will not start to burn. It doesn’t know how to handle too many discreet files. Three (3) diff. versions of Nero software.

Thanks to you both for the info.

mandrakis