File capturing question

Where “capturing” is concerned,what’s the difference between these files? VOB, AVI and DVD

Avi is one of the many types of video formats.

DVD video is another type of video format, and contain VOB files.

vob’s are mpeg…mpeg2 I think…they take more hard drive space…:slight_smile:

seems to me that DVD[VOB] files have better quality than AVI?

yes, because use a lower compression, so have less artifacts introduced with compression

So what’s the downside to DVD, meaning why would someone opt to use avi instead?

because avi files are smaller (also 1/4 than a dvd movie)

divx .avi can have really good quality…at about a 1/4 the file size as mpeg as geno says…but still not true dvd quality…thik of it as cd audio vs mp3

Be careful here, or people will get confused. The following is according to Doom9.org.

AVI
Audio Video Interleave. The video format most commonly used on Windows PC’s. It defines how video and audio are attached to each other, without specifying a codec.

VOB Files
All DVD movies are stored in so-called VOB files. Vob files usually contain multiplexed Dolby Digital Audio and MPEG2 video. Vob Files are called as follows: vts_XX_y.vob where XX represents the title and Y the part of the title. There can be 99 titles and 10 parts, although VTS_XX_0.VOB does never contain any video, usually just menu or navigational information. There’s 2 ways to find out which files contain the main movie: First: Play the movie in any DVD player and watch the LED on a standalone or the status window on a software player. Second: The main movie is the largest number of consecutively numbered VOB files. For instance it’s vts_05_1.vob, vts_05_2.vob… vts_05_8.vob (I haven’t seen movies with 9 partial files but that doesn’t mean that they don’t exist).

AVI is just a format which contains audio and video, as is .wmv (windows movie maker), and there are others. If you capture a video as AVI, you can capture it in uncompressed format. This would be a very large file (as much as 40 to 60 gb. If you then encode this to mpeg2, it can compress it down to 4.4gb which will fit on a DVD5 DVD. So an mpeg file doesn’t really take up more hard drive space. And an mpeg4 or DIVX file takes up even less space. But the more you compress a file, the less quality that you have.

Anyone new to DVD’s, or wanting to learn more, should visit www.doom9.org, or www.videohelp.com, to learn the basics and terminology.

The main thing I wish to know here guys is if I were to capture a DVD movie from my TV to my HD in DVD file format then burn that movie unto a DVD, would I have enough space on the blank DVD?

It is related on the movie length and on compression you use. What input device you use? What software? What mpeg encoder?

divx, xvid are mpeg4 clones, dvd’s are mpeg2, mpeg4 can have all the video quality
of mpeg2 with smaller file size.

I will be using a leadtek capturing card/software to capture movies/video files and I have the options to capture in avi [uncompressed], mpeg-2 and DVD formats, I want the best “quality” here which is why I would prefer to capture in DVD format but I just want to make sure that whatever movie I capture will fit when I burn it back unto a DVD. What’s the procedure to achieve this please?

If you want the best quality you must capture in DVD format.

If the resulting is too large you can always fit on a single disc using dvd shrink

I like what I’ve seen so far from your link [thanks], free one-click operation between shrink and Nero sounds great to me and I will take up that issue more in detail in the appropriate forum but just want to ask now if when making a copy of a DVD and using this shrinking method, won’t it cause quality loss?

Any compression cause quality loss. Shrink usually give good results with acceptable quality, especially if you use deep analysis option.

Also original DVD are compressed files (vob are mpeg-2 files). Uncompressed video require a too large space for storing.