Fewest steps from DVD to Divx or Xvid (5.1 format)

vbimport

Hi all, former member here, and long time lurker. I’ve often figured out my own answers by searching but unfortunately i need a little help this time.

I’m looking to backup my personal DVD collection to hard drive in some divx/avi/xvid format with most of the quality and 5.1 audio format, with fewer steps and perhaps greater speed overall in the copy/encoding process. My collection is mixed but includes some of the newest DVD titles which use newer encryption methods. Here’s a checklist of what i’m trying to accomplish:

• Looking for the fewest steps possible to archive my personal DVD collection. This includes newer dvd’s with newer encryption methods.

• Hoping to preserve much of the original quality, but am willing to sacrifice for a smaller file format (average of 900megs to 1.5gigs per movie perhaps?)

• Want 5.1 audio preserved (audio format not important as longs as it’s 5.1)

• I do Not need any menus or subtitles, just the straight up movie is fine.

• I don’t mind babysitting the software while it’s running, just hoping for the fewest steps possible (and the faster speed it would likely provide)

• I am willing to purchase software if necessary.

A hearty thank you for all the help you can provide :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The easiest way is to use AutoGK (free software) with AnyDVD (not free too bad :() running in the background. AnyDVD will take care of the protection removing part, and AutoGK will take care of the AVI encoding.

Bear in mind, however, that if you encode directly from the DVD, the disc (and the drive) will be stressed for all the encoding time. With a dualcore CPU you can encode an entire movie in say half hour, but this is a useless stress for the drive in my opinion.

I suggest to rip first the original disc into the HDD, and then use AutoGK to convert it into AVI. If you choose this method, there is a free alternative to AnyDVD: DVDFab HD Decrypter. With this you can rip the DVD first, and then use AutoGK to create the AVI.

About the audio quality, with AutoGK is it possible to use the original audio as AC3, ensuring the best quality for audio (instead of converting it into mp3 format).

About the video quality, instead of setting a file size (and autoGK allow this), you can select a percentage quality. To obtain an excellent quality you can select 80% quality, and autoGK will run all needed steps to convert the movie with the better quality possible independently by the final file size. The higher is the quality selected, of course, the higher will be the resulting file.

The final quality, however, is also related to the original movie quality, to the screen size, and to the personal perception of the encoded movie. So, each movie requires different settings. You can encode initially a short segment (for example 10 min of the movie), then watch it in your television, and decide if result is good enough. If result is not good, you can increase the output quality until you get the result you think is better.

AutoGK is a one-step software, so once you set the parameters (video quality, audio track to be used [you can also create movies with two or more audio tracks]) and destination folder where to save the avi, simply run press the start button and that’s all (there is no need to remain in front of the PC).

Thanks for the info, will end up using one of the methods you posted.

Strange thing though, immediately after i posted i found a thread in another forum which recommended pretty much the same method you outlined. I began a testrun of the movie Elf about hour ago ago. Ripping the movie to hard drive via DVDfab was fast, but AutoGK has been working for about 50 minutes now and only at 79%

I selected target quality: 100% (to avoid the second pass)
Output resolution = auto width
codec = Xvid
output audio type = original

The specs of the rig i’m using for backups/encoding:
windows XP
AMD dual-core 2.5ghz
Ram 1gb (i have more ram here to add if necessary, but task manager indicates i still have 340 megs available even during the re-encode)
Sata hard drives

I realize that re-encoding takes time, but at 50 minutes i’m at 79%…is this normal or do you think i’m missing something here?

Very much appreciate your help

The easiest way is to use AutoGK (free software) with AnyDVD (not free too bad ) running in the background. AnyDVD will take care of the protection removing part, and AutoGK will take care of the AVI encoding.

Geno, you mention running DVDfab in the background while AutoGK is doing it’s work. After this second test run i’m going to to do a third test run and see if i can figure out how to run DVDfab in the background (?) (i don’t see an obvious way to do this at the moment but will investigate)

By the way, this second test run involves going from DVDfab to DVDshrink to autoGK. I’m using DVDShrink to get rid of all the unnecessary extras, which seems like it will reduce the file size quite a bit. i’m also avoiding second passes in AutoGK and making the target quality 80%

My first run produced a file that was 2.4 gigs, quality was great but the file was rather large for my taste :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again,

There is no ned to use DVD Shrink if you want convert movies into AVI.

And for what I know, DVDFab is not running in the background, like AnyDVD (these are different software)

I must have misunderstood you about having dvdfab running in the background while AutoGK was doing it’s work.

The reason i’m using DVDshrink is to remove all of the DVD “extras” such as menus, extra audio formats etc, this is to reduce the file size further. I am not compressing with dvd shrink however (i select the no compression option). I then take the DVDshrink results and run it through AutoGK. [B]Am i mistaken and that AutoGK or DVDfab removes these dvd extras already?[/B]

In case you’re interested:

My second test run produced a 1.5gig file (target quality 80%). Video quality was excellent imho.

My third test produced a 1.3 gig file, target quality was 70%, video quality is nearly identical to my second test

Total rip and encoding time has been reduced to a little over one hour, will continue to tinker with settings but i’m very satisfied with my results.

Just to clarify :slight_smile:

“DVDFab HD Decrypter” and “AnyDVD” are two different software. AnyDVD is the one able to run in the background while you remove all unwanted contents with Shrink. DVDFab HD Decrypter (I’m not sully sure because I never used it) is not able to decrypt a disc in the background, but it is able to copy the entire DVD to the HDD.

The main difference between the two software is that with AnyDVD you can use DVD Shrink directly on the original disc, and this will reduce the number of steps (You asked the lowest number of steps to do the conversion).

So, the various possibilities you can do are the following:

[ol]
[li]Run AnyDVD
[/li][li]Insert the original DVD and run AutoGK, select the options you like, and then run the conversion.
[/li][/ol]

In this way you can convert each disc with only 2 steps, but I personally don’t like this method because it is too stressing on the drive mechanics.

An alternative method is the following.

[ol]
[li]Run AnyDVD
[/li][li]Copy all the original DVD in HDD.
[/li][li]Run AutoGK and start the conversion in AVI.
[/li][/ol]

In this way you have a three step process. Using DVD Shrink is not really needed, because you only must have care to select the correct files in AutoGK. All other files will cause no interference with AutoGK operation.

If you don’t want purchase AnyDVD, the same steps can be done with Using DVDFab HD Drcrypter:

[ol]
[li]Run DVDFab HD Decrypter
[/li][li]Copy all the original DVD in HDD.
[/li][li]Run AutoGK and start the conversion in AVI.
[/li][/ol]

About the avi, I think that 70-75% quality is a good choice then, but if you are worried about quality the only way to be sure about the correct value to be selected is testing each single movie (this method is very time consuming, but it is the safest).

To improve further quality, I have another suggestion. In advanced options in AutoGK select “Fixed Width 720”. This will create an avi with high size, so when playing it at full screen you’ll have lesser artifacts in the video. Creating an avi with a lower resolution can give a lower quality in the video when played at full screen.

Ahh, makes more sense now, and thanks for clearing up my confusion. Will look into experimenting with [B]AnyDVD[/B] next.

Good news, apparently DVDfab HD can copy the movie and soundtrack only, and leave out all of the silly dvd extras, there was no need for me to run DVDshrink after all.

DVDfab HD and AutoGK is the best combo i’ve tried. I set AutoGK quality between 70% and 75%, fixed 720 width, xvid codec and original AC3 audio. Perfect blend of quality and file size imho, not dvd quality but close enough.

I’m now testing DVDfab and [B]Handbrake[/B]. Still playing with the settings to increase the quality, but file sizes are tiny (500 megs for 90min vid). But like i said, i’m still trying to increase the overall video quality to match my dvdfab/autogk results, so i imagine the file size will eventually be much larger than 500 megs.

I never heard about Handbrake, but I’m curious :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2191647]I never heard about Handbrake, but I’m curious :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]Besides google searching the info here’s a post in the handbrake forum that lists some of the better settings to try: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?t=382

I’ve only tested Handbrake twice so far. The first test resulted in lower video quality but a tiny file size (500 megs). The second test resulted in exact dvd quality but much larger file size (about 2.2 gigs). Will soon experiment with medium settings.

You might try the newest DVDFab Mobile option 5.2.3.0. It was running 170-190 fps with my E6600 4gigs RAM Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit.