Few questions :s

I came here b4 asking help on how to convert from AVI to MPEG. I’m using Tmpgenc to do this.

I bought 800mb/90min cds and did a cd speed test using nero, it turned tht I could over-burn the cds to 93 min MAX

1. How do I know how many minutes are MBs ? I did a lil math, but I’m not sure of it.

2. Minutes on CDs reflect to Audio only or Video as well ?

3. I had converted an AVI file to MPEG and the final size of the movie was 800mb, when added onto Nero while creating a VCD. I went to the compilation info and also while burning it said 700mb ? How, why & where did the 100mbs go !?

4. Once I converted an AVI to MPEG, on the computer it was good, but after burning it on a cd, only blocks of colors were able 2 be seen, but no movie !?

Guys plz help me, Ur help & time is highly appreciated, if U do answer plz answer according to the numbers so tht I don’t get confused.

Thnx in advance.
Ken

Originally posted by ken777
[B]I came here b4 asking help on how to convert from AVI to MPEG. I’m using Tmpgenc to do this.

I bought 800mb/90min cds and did a cd speed test using nero, it turned tht I could over-burn the cds to 93 min MAX

1. How do I know how many minutes are MBs ? I did a lil math, but I’m not sure of it.

2. Minutes on CDs reflect to Audio only or Video as well ?

3. I had converted an AVI file to MPEG and the final size of the movie was 800mb, when added onto Nero while creating a VCD. I went to the compilation info and also while burning it said 700mb ? How, why & where did the 100mbs go !?

4. Once I converted an AVI to MPEG, on the computer it was good, but after burning it on a cd, only blocks of colors were able 2 be seen, but no movie !?

Guys plz help me, Ur help & time is highly appreciated, if U do answer plz answer according to the numbers so tht I don’t get confused.

Thnx in advance.
Ken [/B]

1. Depends on the bytes per sector , Don’t think in minutes , always think in bytes.

2. Nope , different bytes per sector and different protection schematics (I am not talking about copy protections but about scratch protections)

3. VCD have more bytes per sector and less protection schematics

4. You probably did not follow the correct MPEG schematics. Check the extensive tutorials made by Chickenman elsewhere on this forum.

thnx a lot …

1. actually the 800mb/90min cd was a part of the 1st question, so how do i know how much in mbs is 93min ?

2. could u plz tell me wht i’ve done wrong, or point me 2 the correct tutorial since there r a lot, and as i’ve mentioned, i had successfully converted the avi to mpeg, i played the mpeg b4 burning it, it had no probs, but after burning it, only black and colored blocks appeard !?

it seems no1’s gonna answer

(sigh)

A sector contains 2352 data bytes. Of these 2352 data bytes, at least 2048 bytes are typically reserved for user data (2048 in Mode 1 and 2336 in Mode 2)

For more info check here.

The VideoCD format is quite similar to the AudioCD format. It uses a data track, which is usually used to store the data files of a VideoCD player, and a video track, where a strictly defined video stream is stored. Each sector of this video track contains 2324 bytes of user data.

I think with 93 minute cd’s you’ll be able to put about 50 minutes of decent quality video on it. Naturally it totally depends on the amount of compression you use on your movie and what you consider decent might not be what another considers decent.

So to answer your question on how much MB a 93 minute cd is around 800 megs , BUT you have no idea how much TIME it is , since that depends on your COMPRESSION rate.

And no , i have no freaking clue how your program compresses.

The most compliant tutorial of Chickenman is here.

If you did a teeny amount of research you might have found out way earlier , rather than complaining that no one answers your question. We’re not a freaking helpdesk here, helpdesks get PAID.

also look here;

www.vcdhelp.com

www.doom9.net