Few Questions: HP DVD A DH-16AAL LHD7 2009/06/11 11:53

Hi, I am new here and I wish to crossflash and I was following instructions outlined here ( http://club.myce.com/f44/plds-dh-16aas-307269/#post2485866 ). When I reached the unscrambled firmware part, I downloaded latest iHAS424 A unscrambled firmware,as explained in footnotes of the instructions, from CK’s website. It unfortunately didn’t detect any iHAS424 drives. Am I doing something wrong? what is the correct unscrambled firmware that i should install?

The reason for my curiosity is simply that I have tried modding my bios (so it is oem w/ slic 2.1, my old mobo failed in power surge) using a CD but dos won’t recognize my drive, i have wasted like 7 cd’s already and I have no idea how to get the damn cd-rom drivers to load so I can mod my mobo. The reason for me not using a floppy is because I don’t live near a technology museum and my mobo can’t take usb/removable drives. I really hope that this might spark something in the dos and install the cd drivers.

[QUOTE=d23ewdef2q;2579891]Hi, I am new here and I wish to crossflash and I was following instructions outlined here ( http://club.myce.com/f44/plds-dh-16aas-307269/#post2485866 ). When I reached the unscrambled firmware part, I downloaded latest iHAS424 A unscrambled firmware,as explained in footnotes of the instructions, from CK’s website. It unfortunately didn’t detect any iHAS424 drives. Am I doing something wrong? what is the correct unscrambled firmware that i should install?
[/QUOTE]

Make sure you back up your current firmware using CK’s Flash Utility and back up your EEPROM using CK’s EEPROM Utility. Keep those two safe.
You might as well post a copy for us in here … you never know who might be in need of that firmware now or in the future …

What you missed is this bit: “flash that copy to your drive using the Flash Utility” … yes that means loading the unscrambled exe file you downloaded from CK’s website in the Flash Utility and flashing it!

By the way, you could crossflash your drive to an iHAS624 A since that firmware is now available …

well I tried your technique and it didn’t work, it looks like that my drive is unusable at this point. It can’t read any dvd, I have tried restoring my firmware from backups and it still wont work. I must say after I flashed my drive and restarted, windows 7 was installing drivers for the iHAS624 A

This is How I tried to restore my drive…
I wrote flash from the backup, then restarted
restored eeprom, restarted
inserted disk, no response
in crossflash, I converted my drive, restart, no response
uninstalled windows driver (device manager), reinstalled from an older backup, restarted,
noticed windows searching and installing another driver, still not working

I really don’t know what has gone wrong here… maybe someone can help
I have all my backups and not sure if this will ever work.

edit:
nevermind… the restore worked

I didn’t restart after restore-flashing my drive and then I restored the eeprom, then uninstalled my driver, restart and windows auto installs new driver… 3 mins later boom the drive comes alive.

Maybe flashing is not for me. Why do you guys need my backups?

We don’t need your backups, they’re there for you in case you run into situations like you’ve experienced.

Not all drives are made for crossflash, even though your drive is a LiteOn OEM, but perhaps it was never meant to burn faster than 16x.

I really don’t know why this didn’t work for you … if you followed the instructions properly it should have worked just fine…

[QUOTE=d23ewdef2q;2580166]Why do you guys need my backups?[/QUOTE]

Because OEM firmwares are very rare, particularly HP ones, and in *.bin format (unscrambled) and someone might have the same drive as yours but with an older firmware and they can use your firmware backup to update their drive to a newer version.

Other people might want to crossflash their drive to the HP OEM firmware because that is perhaps newer than the one they currently have in their OEM drive.

Others with the same drive as yours might have forgot to make a backup and won’t be able to go back to their original firmware … etc … etc

In a nutshell, firmwares are a very useful resource for this community, and sharing them is a good thing. Its not like you lose anything by doing so, quite the opposite, you’re doing a good thing which sooner or later will help someone, and that someone will be very grateful for it … just imagine that you wouldn’t have had a firmware backup available to get back to …

Besides some ‘nutters’ like me are in the habit of ‘collecting’ firmwares :doh:

ok fine ill give you the damn firmware, even thought I have no idea what information I am sending in those .bin files…

eeeprom:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15485612/hp_DVD_A_DH16AAL_LHD7.bin

flash:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15485612/LHD7.bin

original drivers (backed up before anything really ran):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15485612/gencdrom.zip

I have noticed that after restoring, my drive seems to be buffering a lot and running fairly slow, I didn’t check the write to boot option and kept all the default settings

[QUOTE=d23ewdef2q;2580445]ok fine ill give you the damn firmware, even thought I have no idea what information I am sending in those .bin files…
[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Relax, the firmware is is simply a dump of the content of the flash chip inside your drive, it doesn’t contain any information about you or your computer, so you’re not sharing anything which other thousands of people who own that drive do not have already :slight_smile:

I had a look inside the firmware and it is appears to be a typical DH24AAL firmware (OEM version of the iHAS224/424/624 A) as expected, so crossflashing should have worked just fine.

If you want to have another go at it, try following the process from the other thread step by step as instructed, but instead of restarting the computer when instructed to do so, do a full shut down instead. Some motherboards/computers don’t cut the power completely to the optical drives when you restart, and that might have interfered with the process.

Just to make sure … this: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/stock/ATAPI.iHAS624_A.ZL2U.stock.rar is the firmware you used when you crossflashed right? Just for the record, you should never attempt to flash an iHAS624 B (DH16ABL) type firmware to an iHAS624 A (DH16AAL) type drive!

PS. Sharing the drivers is not necessary. They are standard ones anyway and every computer already has them (besides they also depend on the operating system of a given computer, so from that point of view are even less useful as different people will use different operating systems).

Ok I did a shutdown insdead of a restart and now it seems to work, I am still not sure what the difference is, I mean is there anything special that I get? any improvements?

[QUOTE=d23ewdef2q;2580674]Ok I did a shutdown insdead of a restart and now it seems to work, I am still not sure what the difference is, I mean is there anything special that I get? any improvements?[/QUOTE]

Great!

YES, you get lots of advantages: a 24x drive, a much newer firmware dated 2010/07/09 instead of your old HP one dated 2009/06/11, SmartErase and LabelTag.

The newer firmware means better media support and improved writing quality on some media, and you also stand a much better chance for future firmware updates from LiteON than you would have got from HP (HP never released a firmware update for the DH16AAL and they are known for their poor firmware support for optical drives).

You can also use C0deKing’s patched firmwares if you want: see the first post of this thread: http://club.myce.com/f44/new-liteon-plds-patched-firmware-thread-new-267641/.

many thanks for the useful instructions and provision of all the necessary tools!

here are some results:

hp DH16AAL @ iHAS624 A