Feurio Questions

Hello,

I’ve got a couple of questions about Fuerio. Hope this is the right place :slight_smile:

Firstly, from the Writer, if I do “Extras>Test bus transfer rate” I only get 2.2MB per second :frowning: It suggests enabling DMA, but this is already on or that I’ve got an old CDRW, but mine’s brand new. Any ideas?

Also, I’ve got a few scrathced CDs which I’d like to backup before they get worse. Does Feurio have a error-correction mode or something like that?

Lastly, I notice that the most recent version is from 2001 - is it still developed at all?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Feurio 1.67 was released on February 2004.
It’s being slowly developed, but Feurio 2 is expected some time.

Feurio doesn’t have error correction (this is mostly done by the reader), but it has error warning if your drive reports C2 errors.
EAC can repeat readings, Feurio not (but it warns if there are errors)
What drive do you have?

I’ve never been able to do the Transfer Rate…
I don’t know how reliable it is…

> Feurio 1.67 was released on February 2004.
Oops! My mistake - the download page says “last update Jan 01”…

> Feurio doesn’t have error correction (this is mostly done by the
Is there another program I should use for this task then - or is it kinda irrelevant?

> What drive do you have?
Optorite 52x24x52

I’ve got another problem now :sad: :
When I do the “test device” option from “device parameters” it seems to always get stuck with read errors when it gets down to about 19x. I’ve tried different CDs but it still does it.

Adam

Originally posted by adamr
[I]
> Feurio doesn’t have error correction (this is mostly done by the
Is there another program I should use for this task then - or is it kinda irrelevant?

well, you have EAC.
I prefer Feurio because it’s much faster and is as secure in the sense that you get a warning (in fact, EAC can miss errors if you don’t configure it properly).
The difference is that if EAC finds an error, it can repeat the readings several times and choose certain pattern if it’s repeated several times (it’s supposed to be the best one)

With scratched (discs with errors) EAC does a better job with most drives. Sometimes, ripping in burst mode (like Feurio) gives better results.

I usually rip with Feurio, and only use EAC if there are a lot of errors (and always combined with “Compare WAVs” tool in EAC).
Notice that not all C2 errors are errors in fact. A lot of them are corrected by the drive.

Of course, you would need a drive that supports reporting C2 errors and enable that option in the “Device Parameters” (only the 1st box should be selected)

[B]

I’ve got another problem now :sad: :
When I do the “test device” option from “device parameters” it seems to always get stuck with read errors when it gets down to about 19x. I’ve tried different CDs but it still does it.
[/B]

I’m not sure what you mean.
Speeds faster than 19x cause reading errors?
That would be a problem with your drive. Try another ripping program to check if only happens with Feurio.
Maybe you need to select a slower speed to accurately rip.

In order to check if other programs are ripping correctly, you will probably have to compare several WAV rippings with the same program and the same track.
If your drive is able to consistently get equal WAVs from a clean CD, then it could be enough for you.

Comparing WAVs is what Feurio does in that test. Try other ranges apart from the start of the disc.

According to this:
http://www.feurio.de/English/cd_roms/frame_list_ide.html
Your OPTORITE CD-RW CW5201 should be able to get equal data in succesive extractions.
Make sure you’re using a good disc.

Hi Minix,

Sorry - I guess I’m missing something - what’s EAC?

I’m not sure what you mean.
Speeds faster than 19x cause reading errors?

Bizaarly, no! The test starts at the maximum speed and works happily down until around 19x then starts stopping all the time with read errors.

Thanks for the link to the feurio site - I’d not found any Optorite drives there before. (Although mine, CW5205, is still not there, I guess it must be pretty close to the 5201)

Adam

http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/

Does your drive report C2 errors?

Can you post the “Test Device” results?

Try CDSpeed and more ripping programs to check if your drive always does that.

Thanks, I’ll have a look at CDSpeed and EAC…

I’ve just done a test, with the results here as they’re quite long.

It started giving errors (“SCSI/IDE sense code: 03, Additional sense code: 06, Additional sense code qualifier: 00”) when it got to 19x and I finally gave up and cancelled it in the end.

Thanks,
Adam

But the error you mention doesn’t appear in the log you attached…

I guess these errors only appear when you try to rip severely scratched CDs.

That error probably happens because the disc is too scratched for your Optorite drive.
Does it happen with clean discs?

The drive lost the track and can’t continue reading.
Another reason is that the disc is not compliant (protected) and the drive can’t read it (disable “read index marks”).

With Feurio you can only slow down reading speed and retry.

EAC might be more helpful with these discs (it depends on drive).
Select “Secure mode” with “Accurate ripping” and “Drive caches audio” enabled. You can try with “C2 errors” enable or disabled.

Be careful because EAC is very hard on drives.
When red lights appear, EAC is repeating the reading and choosing a certain samples if 8 out of 16 tries are the same data.

Then compare two WAVs from the same track to look for errors.

I know the error isn’t in the log - I can’t help that :frowning:

The errors are:
“SCSI/IDE sense code: 03, Additional sense code: 06, Additional sense code qualifier: 00”

I’ve tried with numerous CDs. I’ve specifically tried to find new and old ones with no scratches. I get the same problem every time.

I’ll have a play around with EAC…

Thanks,
Adam

if it happens when reading clean discs, then disable “read index marks” and “C2 errors reporting”.
The problem is that you drive hasn’t been tested and maybe a wrong read command is used.

What I don’t understand is why the problem doesn’t happen when testing. Notice that the testing only goes during the first 5 minutes of the disc by default.

Sorry, I think I’ve not been clear.

The error does occur during the test cycle (indeed, I’ve only seen it then) but it doesn’t get recorded in the log - there’s just a pop-up window with ignore/retry/cancel options.

I’ve just tried it again with yet another CD and with C2 error reporting and index marks turned off.
Just the same thing - it gets to 19x then starts giving errors :sad:

If it’s using the wrong read command, how do I know what one to use?

Adam

it shouldn’t be a problem then…
an less worrying if it happens during the “set speed” test… maybe it happens when trying to set a certain speed… a bug in the drive could cause an error when trying certain command…

The test speed test is useless once you know the reading speeds the drive supports. (There’s nothing more in Feurio tests after those setspeed test).

The pity is that your burner is not supported and you would have to try generic drivers (Feurio CD-Writer -> Info -> Driver) and hope for the best…

OK, thanks :slight_smile:

The main thing I was hoping to find out was what speed I could read/write at since I’ve got quite an old system.

Is there a better way I can find this out?

Adam

by burning…
and checking if the buffer gets empty.

it depends on burning program (Feurio has the best burning engine and better if we’re talking about Win98) and more importantly on DMA status. If you have an Intel TX chipset you have good chances of making DMA work.

Simulate at maximum or whatever speed and if the RAM buffer doesn’t get empty, then it means it’s OK.
If it gets empty, then the drive will stop making the burning much slower.
If Feurio doesn’t work, then Nero has a similar RAM buffer.

Reading is a different matter.
Audio discs are read at slower speeds than rated on most drives.
Anyway, the Optorite 5201 seems to read starting at 15.2x and ending at 50.3x according to that Feurio page.
Check yours by setting max. speed.