Feurio On The Fly or Decommpress

I am using Feurio 1.66 with a P4 2.4, 512m, 80g 7200HD. One of the options in Feurio is to decompress MP3 or do it on the fly. I only burn MP3 from the HD so which would give the better sound. Which decoders does Feurio use for the two options. Also could I use the LAME 3.93.1 decoder and would this sound any better than either of the other two mentioned before and could I use it for either option. John:confused:

There won’t be any difference in quality; feurio uses the same codecs for both options. The only reason why you would decompress them first, is when you want to burn them at +40x and your CPU is too slow to handle this on the fly.
Your P4 is fast enough though, so just burn it on the fly :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info I will just burn on the fly now, no comment on LAME? John

Originally posted by JohnWB
I will just burn on the fly now

no comment on LAME?

John,

The LAME 3.93.1 is just fine, keep on using it.

Also keep in mind to check if your MP3s are OK before burning them on-the-fly, otherwise you’d spoil the party. :bigsmile:

I burn MP3 on the fly.
Well, I decode to WAV before, if Feurio detects defective frames while scanning the MP3.
The quality will be the same. The CPU will have to work more while burning, so there are more chances of buffer underruns/BurnProof.
I burn audio at 16x maximum, so my CPU can do the work perfectly.

Feurio uses its own internal Fraunhoffer routines to decode to WAV.
You can choose LAME as encoder, but it’s not used to decompress.
This is not a problem, because the routines in Feurio are perfect. I’ve compared the resulting WAVs with Winamp 2.666 and Fraunhoffer 1.9, which are ISO compliant decoders (old Fraunhoffer was flawed), and the WAVs are basically the same (the differences are mainly in the length of the WAVs and I’d say that Feurio is better than Fraunhoffer at that with VBR-LAME encoded MP3s).

http://mp3decoders.mp3-tech.org/intro.html
“the MPEG standard sets out the requirement for a decoder exactly – a given MPEG-1 layer 3 stream (typically an .mp3 file on a PC) should always decode to a certain uncompressed digital audio signal (typically a .wav file on a PC). Apart from rounding errors in the last bit (i.e. +1 or -1 on a scale ranging from –32768 to +32767 for 16-bit audio) the output should be exact. Every decoder should produce the same result. They don’t.”

http://www.underbit.com/resources/mpeg/audio/compliance/

A message by the author of Feurio explaining that:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=h17g9toushksnq1ll7uonnu3at5gm3uuii%404ax.com

[QUOTE
Also keep in mind to check if your MP3s are OK before burning them on-the-fly, otherwise you’d spoil the party.
[/QUOTE]

re u actually recommending to decompress to wavs so that he’ll be sure that the mp3 are fine. Otherwise (well never used Feurio) but is there an option to just check your mp3s? i think you have to decompress them and see…

peace.

Originally posted by KurtCocain
[re u actually recommending to decompress to wavs so that he’ll be sure that the mp3 are fine. Otherwise (well never used Feurio) but is there an option to just check your mp3s? i think you have to decompress them and see…

"Well, I decode to WAV before, if Feurio detects defective frames while scanning the MP3. "

Feurio detects defective frames when scanning. No need to decode. Drag and drop the MP3s to a project and they will be scanned.

EncSpot also checks for defective frames if you configure it to scan all frames of the files.

An MP3 file with perfect frames doesn’t mean that it has good quality!! It just mean that it hasn’t been corrupted.

Feurio detects defective frames when scanning. No need to decode. Drag and drop the MP3s to a project and they will be scanned.

EncSpot also checks for defective frames if you configure it to scan all frames of the files.

An MP3 file with perfect frames doesn’t mean that it has good quality!! It just mean that it hasn’t been corrupted. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, bro. i haven’t configured EncSpot to scan all frames. i will go ahead and do that… Also, how about the debate – is feurio or burnatonce producing better quality of AudioCDs?