Feurio cd manager won't open or play ripped songs

I have been using Feurio 1.66 with Windows XP Home successfully for over a year. During that time, I have ripped and burned a number of compilation cds. All without incident.

Over the last year, I have ripped a couple of hundred songs from CD to my hard drive, stockpiling them into 8 or 10 different “projects”, intending to burn them onto CD when each project gets up to about 75 minutes or so.

Until today, I have been able to play these songs from the hard drive using Feurio CD manager. Today, I was working on a new project and decided to play back a few tunes from older projects and was horrified to find that Feurio won’t open or play ANY of the older projects. It will play all of the songs on this new project that I have been compiling for the last week or so.

Here is a sample error message I get when I try to play a song from a project:

"Error in wave list: C\program files\feurio 1.66\projects\june christy-various.cdl. The wave list couldn’t be initialized because a file was wrong.

Track: 1
File: (June Christy Sing something simple)
Error: file couldn’t be opened
The file on the playing list couldn’t be opened"

I get that message for each project. The only difference is the project name and artist/song title. The message pops up as soon as I highlight the project name.

All the artist names and song titles are shown in red print–which apparently means something is wrong. They originally were in black, and the names in the single remaining good project are still in black.

I haven’t knowingly done anything to cause this.

Does anyone have a clue??? Am I hosed and must all these songs be ripped again???

For what it’s worth, the songs will play from the hard drive using Windows Media Player, so they seem to be intact but Feurio has a problem with them.

I get the same errors when I try to access the projects in Feurio CD Writer.

thanks for any insight.

this happens if the tracks are moved from the original location/folder to another folder (or deleted).

but it makes no sense that all tracks are in red. Only the “moved” tracks should be in red.

Check Feurio CD-Manager -> Program -> Select data paths.
Check that the correct folders are selected (“Settings” of the project).

You can update to Feurio 1.67, but it won’t probably solve it.

Another option would be to uninstall it.
You only have to backup the .CDL files in the “Projects” folder.
Install it again, select the old data paths to store projects and copy the CDL files to the new installation.
It makes little sense, but possibly one file/track is making Feurio behave not correctly.

minix:

thanks for your quick response. still no joy.

here are new developments:

i checked the paths as you suggested. it looked ok to me. all my wave files are in various folders under e:\wave. the path shown under “select data paths” is e:\wave. the cdl files live under c:\program files\feurio.

i atttempted to uninstall 1.66 through windows control panel, only to discover the program is not listed there; possibly that is normal, but i doubt it. i have had that occur occasionally with other progs.

i backed up the cdl files, downloaded 1.67 and began the install. the install prog detected a prior version and offered to uninstall it, but failed to do so. nothing happened when that button was poked. probably for the same reason windows couldn’t uninstall it.

i then let it overwrite the existing install, copied the backed up cdl files, only to end up where i began–those same older project folders won’t properly load or play, and all song titles are shown in red.

only other idea i have is to use control panel to deinstall again, try to eliminate any remnants of feurio from the registry, and then reinstall–possibly going back to version 1.66.

and i am going to find out if i can access and burn those ripped songs with nero.

any other ideas???

Originally posted by ignatzatsonic

the path shown under “select data paths” is e:\wave. the cdl files live under c:\program files\feurio.

That’s not the default path.
They should be in c:\program files\feurio\projects

I guess you probably meant this.

You can change the default paths at Feurio CD-Manager -> Program Parameters -> Program Paths

If you didn’t change it, something strange happened there.

i atttempted to uninstall 1.66 through windows control panel, only to discover the program is not listed there; possibly that is normal, but i doubt it.

It’s not normal.
I can find it there.
Feurio also has an unistallation program in its menu folder.

only other idea i have is to use control panel to deinstall again, try to eliminate any remnants of feurio from the registry, and then reinstall–possibly going back to version 1.66.

It’s easy to uninstall it.
Feurio only installs files in its own folder and the settings in the registry.
You can delete the folder manually and delete the registry settings at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Jens Fangmeier.

Install again, remember to select the exact same paths for waves at “Select data paths” and then copy the old “projects” folder with CDL files to the new “projects” folder.

minix:

thanks to your help, i got through it and the new install is OK.

some of it was inexperience, i am sure. but some of it i can’t fathom–such as feurio not acknowledging (displaying in red and not playing) a song title which was in the proper path and project. certain songs in a project it would see and play; others it would not. i eventually copied the known good songs to another directory, and then deleted the “project”, leaving the ripped songs on my hard drive elsewhere–but not in a “project”. if worse comes to worse, i can burn them with another program.

i think file managment is some of the problem–ripping files to a certain project and later moving them or burning them as part of another project.

the lesson learned is not to assume that all is well just because the files are on a hard drive. i think in the future i will get them burned off onto cd as some type of “project” sooner, rather than just stockpiling them on the drive, which leads to problems, at least with my modest experience.

thanks for your help.

Originally posted by ignatzatsonic
i eventually copied the known good songs to another directory, and then deleted the “project”

When you delete the project, the .CDL file is moved from the “projects” folder to “projects\old”… so you can still use the projects for the new installation.

i think file managment is some of the problem–ripping files to a certain project and later moving them or burning them as part of another project.

It can be true. It has happened to me a couple of times that the project may become wrong for some reason (difficult to trace, it’s easier to rebuild it). Anyway, I move a lot of songs from certain projects to others and it’s no problem.
In your case, something strange was happening with your Feurio installation or system, but, as you say, those tracks should be playable.

the lesson learned is not to assume that all is well just because the files are on a hard drive.

Anyway, the WAV or MP3 files will never be lost. There’s no way Feurio can delete them unless you press “Delete” somewhere.

I think you should be able to recover your projects if you saved the CDL files…