Fengtao, Is There Ever Going To Be Blu-ray Support?

vbimport

I know this question has already been asked (numerous times), but I’ve never seen a definate, helpful answer, so I’m asking again in this thread.

Fengtao, I’ve been a registered user of Fab Platinum for 2+ years now and it is the BEST copy software I’ve ever used. However, I started to switch over to Blu-ray a few months ago and I would love to be able to rip my blu-ray movies (and eventually copy them as well). So is DVD Fab ever going to have BR support (that works)?

I don’t know exactly how AACS works but I know it’s more complicated than CSS, but AnyDVD HD is able to remove the AACS protection and keep up with the latest security, so it CAN be done. I was thinking about checking out AnyDVD HD to give me this ability, but with the HD functionality…IT COSTS OVER $100!!! No way in HELL I’m paying that!

This hasn’t become too big a problem yet, mainly for 2 reasons. 1. I still do buy DVD’s too; I only get Blu-rays when it is a movie that has a lot of visual effects or where HD is a must for details. 2. About half the blu-rays I do have come with digital copys anyway, so ripping them isn’t necessary. (Except for the ones that DON’T come with them!)

DVD’s are still the most popular/used format for movies right now, but the times are a changin’ and blu-ray is gaining more and more ground everyday. Eventually, DVD’s will be surpassed by Blu-ray, and when that happens, we’ll need some support for them!

[QUOTE=Hectic;2163657]I know this question has already been asked (numerous times), but I’ve never seen a definate, helpful answer, so I’m asking again in this thread.

Fengtao, I’ve been a registered user of Fab Platinum for 2+ years now and it is the BEST copy software I’ve ever used. However, I started to switch over to Blu-ray a few months ago and I would love to be able to rip my blu-ray movies (and eventually copy them as well). So is DVD Fab ever going to have BR support (that works)?

I don’t know exactly how AACS works but I know it’s more complicated than CSS, but AnyDVD HD is able to remove the AACS protection and keep up with the latest security, so it CAN be done. I was thinking about checking out AnyDVD HD to give me this ability, but with the HD functionality…IT COSTS OVER $100!!! No way in HELL I’m paying that!

This hasn’t become too big a problem yet, mainly for 2 reasons. 1. I still do buy DVD’s too; I only get Blu-rays when it is a movie that has a lot of visual effects or where HD is a must for details. 2. About half the blu-rays I do have come with digital copys anyway, so ripping them isn’t necessary. (Except for the ones that DON’T come with them!)

DVD’s are still the most popular/used format for movies right now, but the times are a changin’ and blu-ray is gaining more and more ground everyday. Eventually, DVD’s will be surpassed by Blu-ray, and when that happens, we’ll need some support for them![/QUOTE]

You can use the app you mention which has the ability to rip a bluray/(HD-DVD )(Rest in peace btw format) to your HDD. Only problem is: Takes too much space your talking about extracting a 40 GB disc… DVD is the best solution! Burning a Bluray disc image to a BD-R disc that cost 15 bucks is pointless. When retail is $20. If you want the bluray disc experience buy a upconvert DVD Player that supports 1080p resolution. I seen one of these action and, honestly? I can’t tell them apart.
DVD is here to stay UNLESS bluray disc media becomes as cheap as DVD recordable media. And, the bluray players hit the 50 dollars mark then maybe…bluray may win. If not, DVD will continue to be the winner!

Dear all,

We will support Blu-ray in the future, that’s what we can say for now.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

I agree…

why back up a 40 gig movie for 3-5 dollars less than it cost’s to buy a 2nd one…
upconverting dvd’s to a HD tv isn’t 100% true HD but close enough unless you have a 2nd setup in your living room to compare each…

OK, I guess a couple of us are missing the point, so I’ll make it more clear.

1. You need to keep an eye on the keywords; such as “eventually”. Blu-ray burners/media may be expensive NOW, but it won’t in the future as it becomes more widely accepted. (Which won’t really happen till it becomes cheaper.) DVD burners/media were expensive when they first came out and hey, that was just earlier THIS DECADE! Look how cheap it is now!
  2. When ripping a blu-ray (or DVD for that matter), you DON’T have to rip it at its full resolution/quality. I mainly want a quality that is just good enough to watch on my computer and play on my ipod nano (which only has a 320x240 screen!). Such as the kind of quality you get with the digital copy that comes with some blu-rays. (Which is typically only 1.4GB in size and 480p quality.)

Does that get my point across a bit better? As I stated in my original post, it’s not that big a deal yet, but my blu-ray collection is growing while my DVD collection is slowing. It would be the most convenient to be able to rip the blu-ray I paid for and not have to pay $10+ to download the same movie (which I already paid for) to just have it in another format! Do you do that with the DVD’s you buy? Of course not! That’s what the DVDFab program is for!

[quote=rago88;2163715]why back up a 40 gig movie for [B]3-5 dollars less [/B]than it cost’s to buy a 2nd one…[/quote]:disagree: :disagree: Some misinformation here.

Only uninformed people is paying that price, some others are paying ~$4 for BD-R. http://club.cdfreaks.com/2162824-post26.html

[QUOTE=zaina;2163922]:disagree: :disagree: Some misinformation here.
[/QUOTE]

Not really:…:bigsmile:
BD-R for $25

I would say this again as I mentioned in another thread but forgot the link. I say cd/dvd is here to stay and BD until it comes down in prices and is avaiable worldwide. This “Worldwide” is what people are missing cd/dvd are worldwide and BD isn’t so to say cd/dvd is going to die is a misinformation to the rest of the others whom have and still use cd/dvd media. I am happy with Fengtao and Slysoft holding off making their core programs backing up BD as with the market turn down doesn’t make it feasible to buy BD when you can have it in DVD. Also with all the format war they forgot about the consumers whom they should’ve benefit but it hasn’t yet. Most of the movies I watch are on the good old working DVD format. As also mentioned to really get the usefullness of BD you have to make investment in other entertainment hardware which can in itself can add up in cost to just a BD itself. So there are other factors to consider other then just saying go BD. I find it cheaper to backup the dvd then to buy BD. As I don’t use and most likely will not go BD anytime soon or in the future.

I agree coolcolors.
Bluray is gonna be the next betamax format. If SONY does not sell the BD players for 50 bucks in the coming days people are gonna resort to DVD
as they are now… :smiley: As you can see there are no bluray standalone recorders
available in the USA unless you buy one in japan from Panasonic for $2,000 bucks…:eek:
so, DVD IS YOUR WINNER BY TKO. DVD was introduced in 1995 by Philips in an infomercial it was priced at the time for $499.99 however, DVD’s started going down on the price 'til it was affordable…when $100 was the price for a DVD player…DVD’s were getting alot of attention. The fact that there was no rewining and, the discs were astonishing quality compared to VHS quality. the DVD Format became a hit…everyone wanted a DVD player. Then, DVD burners started showing in computers and, DVD Recorders were introduced
in 1999 from Panasonic for $799.99 remember this was something big!
Record to a DVD disc back then was a big deal! No one had one of these.
And, the DVD discs blank discs were $10 bucks each. Now, you can buy 100 DVD-R for 20 bucks hahaha :wink: So, in order to for bluray to be the format of choice…bluray recorders have to exist in the us. ANd, Bluray burners have to burn at a higher speed…it takes 3 hours and, 20 minutes to read &write to one bluray disc. I’m sticking with DVD…thank you :bow:

[quote=Macrovision3500;2163932]Not really:…
BD-R for $25[/quote]

Understood Macro. :slight_smile: Some like to hunt for deals online or ebay and others are only comfortable buying in stores.

If people wants to stay with DVD thats fine, I too watch DVD most of the time and only watch blu-ray when I know the quality is worth viewing.

The point is there are plenty users out there (as we also see in this dvdfab forum and other forums) starting to try blu-ray as the drives and BD media are becoming cheaper everyday.

it takes 3 hours and, 20 minutes to read &write to one bluray disc.
That is probably during their first new drives. The new Panasonic SW-5584 or its Buffalo OEM reads at 8x in 27 mins (BD-ROM DL 50GB). Here you go http://club.cdfreaks.com/2159031-post4.html

ok… raise your hands if:

when watching a dvd thru your Upscaled player & Hd LCD or Plasma tv [ [I]hey. never hear much about rear projections [/I][I]much anymore[/I]] , you say to yourself, “I sure wish I was watching this in Bluray”…

[Know it’s not pertained to bluray price/blank media/ripping etc but think the latest info has been covered by these knowledgeable replies pretty much.
HD Movies thru Comcast Cable or FIOS and a Plasma tv are stunning to say the least…

[QUOTE=zaina;2163988]
That is probably during their first new drives. The new Panasonic SW-5584 or its Buffalo OEM reads at 8x in 27 mins (BD-ROM DL 50GB). Here you go http://club.cdfreaks.com/2159031-post4.html[/QUOTE]
Okay, that’s a BD-Rom not a burner. So, to get a fast read & write results…
you would need 2 BD drives one for reading & one for writing…noone is gonna install 2 bd drives on a pc unless your in the money. :wink: I have seen a BD Burners burn at max of 4 x @ 400 bucks…thats kinda slow. Bluray is hype
with smoke & mirrors. Not everyone has a 720p - 1080 p resoltion HDTV set people are still using the Tube…:bigsmile: so, of bluray replaces DVD…people are gonna have to trash there tube TVs for a HDTV in the later days. So, bluray is always gonna be an “option” format. However, DVD will always be a
universal format works with standard & HDTV resolution.

just my 2 ¢’s

♫ ÛžDVD…yeah! ۞♫

[quote=Macrovision3500;2164009]Okay, that’s a BD-Rom not a burner. [/quote]Macro, the media is BD-ROM, the drive is a blu-ray burner. :smiley: And yes it’s expensive still (300 bucks). :stuck_out_tongue:

There is more to this than making backups and the cost of blank bluray disks. At this point it is hard to disagree with the cost being prohibitive as in why would you even bother? I fully agree. But its more than that.

Personal media devices are here to stay. And watching movies we own on our personal media devices is legit as in not making illegal copies. I use DVD Fab as much for creating files for iPods, Creative Zens and yes, even my laptop so I can watch *.avi files or *.wmv’s, etc., from DVD’s I own.

For me I am more interested in using DVD Fab to rip blurays and then convert them to a file format that is not 40gig way more than making bluray copies.

[quote=jsmiddleton4;2164022]For me I am more interested in using DVD Fab to rip blurays and then convert them to a file format that is not 40gig way more than making bluray copies.[/quote]:iagree: I’m interested in DVDFab ripping blu-ray and use VideoFab to convert the M2TS to 25GB structure while retaining the video/audio quality and then burn to the cheaper BD-R 25GB. Hope that can happen in the (near) future. The only apps that can convert is ripbot but it takes 10+ hours on a quad core. Ah reminded me those early days converting dvds overnight.

[QUOTE=zaina;2164026]The only apps that can convert is ripbot but it takes 10+ hours on a quad core. Ah reminded me those early days converting dvds overnight.[/QUOTE]
Hahahaha, thanks for the memories.
Yeah, suddenly I flashed back to having to configure windows 3.1 HIMEM.SYS so I could play the first wing commander game on my speedy 386SX…cost me $100 to upgrade from 2 MB RAM to 3…:eek::bigsmile:

Thanks for the tip on ripbot. My kid is getting a PS3 for XMAS so I’m starting to look at BR technology. I’m planning on some serious upgrades when we build our retirement home…hopefully next year…fingers X’d

[quote=Macrovision3500;2164009]Bluray is hype with smoke & mirrors. Not everyone has a 720p - 1080 p resoltion HDTV set people are still using the Tube…:bigsmile: so, of bluray replaces DVD…people are gonna have to trash there tube TVs for a HDTV in the later days. So, bluray is always gonna be an “option” format. However, DVD will always be a universal format works with standard & HDTV resolution. [/quote]Then blu-ray is also universal based on your criteria because it can play in 480i, 480p (standard CRT tube), and you can use composite video (yellow cable) and stereo cable (read and white). :doh:

Seriously, why the negativity if people wants to try blu-ray, nobody push anyone… and you don’t need to ditch your dvd collection, they all can play with blu-ray player and you don’t need hdtv or cool soundsystem… :smiley:

THANK YOU helsenvan!

After reading all the other posts, it seems nobody is really interested in talking about my original post, but instead opt to go out on some tangent to bash blu-ray. You do realize that people were talking the same way about DVD back in the day?

Why all the blu-ray bashing anyway? With everyone here loving DVD’s, you’d think everyone would be excited about a new format that has 5x the quality and storage space as a DVD, wouldn’t you? (Even if your not ready to jump on board yet.) I know I am. I’m also getting tired about hearing some of the whining going on. “Upconverting is just as good!”…“I don’t have a HDTV!”

No it’s not cause I can sure as hell tell the difference and go out and buy one for Godsakes!

Join the 21st century! Black Friday is coming up, so grab a crowbar, pry open those wallets/purses and take advantage of those deals! New tech. IS expensive, this is true, but after it’s been out for awhile it gets cheaper. Look how far DVD has come, and how much BR has since its release 2 years ago! Even then, you have to swallow your money clip and shell out some bucks to adopt it. That’s just the way it works…you don’t get anything for free!

But really, I got my answer to my original post since Fengtao responded (thank you by the way). He’s basically saying, “Yes there will be BR support in the future, I just don’t know when.”

So everybody else, go ahead and keep debating about stuff that doesn’t have anything to do with this original post, I don’t care. If you don’t like BR, fine, that’s your choice! Continue to be a technological troglodyte.

@Hectic, What do you watch movies on? Just curious. “Pirates of the Caribbean” on a 40" Sony XBR was the worst experience ever (viewed at 1080p). The Blue Ray brought out all the artifacts from the post production and showed the shortcomings of the movie. I have an LCD Projector and watch movies at 1080i upconverted. It looks fine to me. I don’t think Blue-Ray will last another year unless the economy really picks up. The machinery is completely different than DVD production . I wouldn’t blame Fengtao for not bothering with it though he does say it is coming. It would be nice to do what you say (converting to smaller format) but why bother when you could just buy the disc? It would be almost the same economically if you scratched that disc to purchase another, at current prices.

[QUOTE=rago88;2163990]“I sure wish I was watching this in Bluray”…

.[/QUOTE]

(guffawing)…:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile: nice!