Feed back for Olli

vbimport

Hi Olli thanks for the reply in my previous post, I have done a test with the options that you suggested with my Plextor 401240a.

As you recall I had a problem with CloneCD 4 beta 30 copying over 24x speed with a 32x rated TDK 80min media.

Here are my results:

CloneCD set with "Data CD","On the Fly", media size=462MB.
All CloneCD settings have been left on the Default settings apart from the Write mode.

Raw Dao= max write 24x, time 2:50mins
Raw Sao+Sub= max write 32x, time 2:34mins
Raw Sao=max write 32x, time 2:34mins
Sao=max write 32x, time 2:34mins

This was the same result with the Plextor Media.

The time difference are small, but should be a bit better if the Media had reached 40x.

I hope this helps your quest for one of the best Copying Software so far.....( boy what a creep I am:rolleyes: )

I test all my media for speed and always get the latest Plextor CDR-W drives, so if happen to need any more testers for CloneCD pm me.

Bartman:cool:

You used an image of 462MB? Not completely sure here but that might just be a little too small for the Plextor to reach 40x. See this screenshot of a TEAC 40x writer:

As you can see the writer hits 40x at the 50 minute mark (at about 440MB mark). The Plextor 40x shifts even later at the 54 minute mark (about 473MB). I wonder if the drive will change its Z-CLV zones when writing a smaller image, else your image size will be too small for the writer to reach 40x. You can try re-doing the tests with an image of 700MB (or close). Then you’ll know for sure. Please report back what you find out if you try it.

Originally posted by Bartman@MASH
[B]Hi Olli thanks for the reply in my previous post, I have done a test with the options that you suggested with my Plextor 401240a.

As you recall I had a problem with CloneCD 4 beta 30 copying over 24x speed with a 32x rated TDK 80min media.

Here are my results:

CloneCD set with “Data CD”,“On the Fly”, media size=462MB.
All CloneCD settings have been left on the Default settings apart from the Write mode.

Raw Dao= max write 24x, time 2:50mins
Raw Sao+Sub= max write 32x, time 2:34mins
Raw Sao=max write 32x, time 2:34mins
Sao=max write 32x, time 2:34mins

This was the same result with the Plextor Media.

The time difference are small, but should be a bit better if the Media had reached 40x.

I hope this helps your quest for one of the best Copying Software so far…( boy what a creep I am:rolleyes: )

I test all my media for speed and always get the latest Plextor CDR-W drives, so if happen to need any more testers for CloneCD pm me.

Bartman:cool: [/B]

Well, this explains a lot. Looks like Plextor drives don’t switch to full speed when doing DAO-RAW (the only real raw mode).

This is surely not a CloneCD problem. I am afraid you’ll have to live with this until Plextor releases an updated firmware (if this problem can be fixed by a firmware upgrade, of course)

Originally posted by Olli
[B]

Well, this explains a lot. Looks like Plextor drives don’t switch to full speed when doing DAO-RAW (the only real raw mode).

This is surely not a CloneCD problem. I am afraid you’ll have to live with this until Plextor releases an updated firmware (if this problem can be fixed by a firmware upgrade, of course) [/B]

Thanks Olli, it looks that way…thanks for your input on this.

BTW I will try it on a full CD to see if it hits the 40x mark.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
[B]You used an image of 462MB? Not completely sure here but that might just be a little too small for the Plextor to reach 40x. See this screenshot of a TEAC 40x writer:

As you can see the writer hits 40x at the 50 minute mark (at about 440MB mark). The Plextor 40x shifts even later at the 54 minute mark (about 473MB). I wonder if the drive will change its Z-CLV zones when writing a smaller image, else your image size will be too small for the writer to reach 40x. You can try re-doing the tests with an image of 700MB (or close). Then you’ll know for sure. Please report back what you find out if you try it. [/B]

Hi GameFreak…BTW nice sig:) …

I have just done the same test with a CD of 695MB, wow you where right my friend…

all but the RAW DAO got to 40x and each took 3:18mins.

Its a shame the plextor can not do it with RAW DAO at 40x cus thats what backs up protected CD’s properly…I think:confused:

I did manage to back-up my copy of Renegade with the latest CloneCD beta…which I could not do before, that was using Raw DAO with the Game Settings…on my Plextor 401240a:slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback Bartman. I think we can conclude that the Plextor PX-W4012A is limited to 24x recording when recording in RAW-DAO just as it is when writing audio…

Thanks for the feedback Bartman. I think we can conclude that the Plextor PX-W4012A is limited to 24x recording when recording in RAW-DAO just as it is when writing audio…

God, this sucks … i wish i knew that before i bought the 40x plexie. :mad:
Shouldn t someone contact plextor first to check out what they have to say about it?? Maybe i’ll do it tonight … :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Hemispasm

God, this sucks … i wish i knew that before i bought the 40x plexie. :mad:
Shouldn t someone contact plextor first to check out what they have to say about it?? Maybe i’ll do it tonight … :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t bother. They’ll probably tell you that “CloneCD and Raw writing is not officially supported with Plextor drives”…

Don’t bother. They’ll probably tell you that “CloneCD and Raw writing is not officially supported with Plextor drives”…
But Olli from what i gather, the inability of the plextor drive to write x40 in RAW DAO is shown not only with CCD but with all other programs, like nero etc. They won’t be able to deny it if someone will send them the Nero CD Speed logfiles :wink:
I suppose that at the end of the day, we all want our drives to get better (us consumers and Plextor), so maybe they’ll appreciate the feed-back :rolleyes:

Here’s a statement from last year when there was a big discussion regarding SafeDisc 2 and the Plextor 1210A firmwares (1.04, can you remember that one ;)):

RAW writing is a technology that is not officially supported by Plextor, when it works on Plextor drives, then it’s luck. There are many reasons why Plextor doesn’t support RAW writing, but let’s not get in that discussion. Plextor just wants to make clear that there is one reason to use RAW write, and that’s copying of protected CD’s. All the rest can easily be done with normal software, and Plextor doesn’t want to be associated with copying of protected CD’s.
Well that says it all doesn’t it.

Source: CD Freaks

[B]Here’s a statement from last year when there was a big discussion regarding SafeDisc 2 and the Plextor 1210A firmwares (1.04, can you remember that one ;)):

Source: CD Freaks [/B]

All I can say to Plex…tossers:mad: …

The 40x can copy with RAW DAO but only at 24x…

Shame cus I want the speed aswell:p

[B]Here’s a statement from last year when there was a big discussion regarding SafeDisc 2 and the Plextor 1210A firmwares (1.04, can you remember that one ;)):

Source: CD Freaks [/B]
Well this was over a year ago, maybe they have changed their point of view by now :wink:
Besides i don’t think there is any product out there that doesn’t officially support RAW these days …

I finally did mail Plextor about the matter… It’s been 2 days now (no response), but hey when (or if) i get an answer you’ll be the first to know :stuck_out_tongue:

Well i finally got a reply from plextor (4 days isn’t that long now is it? :wink: )
Well as you will see, it is the same old story again … quoting both my mail and the reply … :

My mail

[I] … I have used the P40/12/40 to burn a data image file (462MB) in both raw-sao and raw-dao modes. Both are supported by the drive according to drive specifications (link: http://www.plextor.be/English/products/pxw401240a.html). The result was a perfect copy in both cases but with a large difference in overall write speed and time. Burning the file with DAO took 2:54min with an ending write speed of 24x, while in SAO it only took 2:39min with an ending write speedof 32x. I have tried this several times, with the same result. I used 32x
rated TDK 80min media each time.

Is this normal with any P40/12/40A drive? I can see no reason why there should be different perfomances with my drive while writing the same data file on the same media. Is it that the drive is limited to 24x while writing in DAO mode, just as it is when writing audio? Or is it just my drive?[/I]

Plextor’s reply:

[I]Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in our Plextor products.

All Plextor devices can read and write subchannel data according to the standards mentioned in the Orange book.

The subchannel data format used in some recording programs is not a standard of this Orange book and not supported by Plextor.

If you have problems with this standard, please try another recording software or contact the manufacture of the software using this unofficial standard.

Best regards,

Wim Viaene
Support Engineer[/I]

Although i didn’t mention anywhere in my letter about the burning program i used, they seem to have just assumed it. For once more it all comes down to clonecd not being supported by plextor … :mad:

Originally posted by Hemispasm
[B]Well i finally got a reply from plextor (4 days isn’t that long now is it? :wink: )
Well as you will see, it is the same old story again … quoting both my mail and the reply … :

My mail

Plextor’s reply:

Although i didn’t mention anywhere in my letter about the burning program i used, they seem to have just assumed it. For once more it all comes down to clonecd not being supported by plextor … :mad: [/B]

Funny thing is, that this problem is not subchannel related at all. And DAO-RAW writing is an official MMC standard.

[B]

Funny thing is, that this problem is not subchannel related at all. And DAO-RAW writing is an official MMC standard. [/B]
Yeah i know Ollie :confused:

Actually i am thinking of writing back saying that i used Nero for burning. There’s nothing in my letter that indicates otherwise… i think. Nero 5578 supports SAO, DAO, and RAO 96 right? Anyways it shouldn’t matter which program i used if results are the same… I just want to see if they’d admit that the P40x is limited to 24x Raw DAO …

They can’t say that plextor don’t support Nero, cauze they ship their machines with it :wink:

I just get irritated when they try to get away with something using the same stereotypes again and again… :mad:

I couldn’t resist and wrote them again…

I write:

"[I]My concern lies on the fact that there is a significant time difference when i am writing in different modes (rao - dao). I am using nero for making copies so your previous reply about some software not being supported by plextor should have nothing to do with it (otherwise you wouldn’t have shipped the drive with Nero).

And i can’t find a reason why subchannel data should have anything to do with the total duration of writing. (Mr. Wim Viaene suggested that the subchannel data format used in some recording programs is not a standard of this Orange book and not supported by Plextor.)

Anyway i have repeated some sesions using different modes and found the time difference getting smaller (it is actually dependent on the file size and type for some reason). It is something i can live with in case it is standard for all plextor 40x drives to write in lower speeds in dao compared to sao, but i would like to know if this is a limitation of the drive (just like the fact that it writes music at 24x) or a fault.[/I]"

They reply:

"[I][B]Dear sir ,

We don’t give any kind of support regarding creating copy’s of copy protected cd’s .

Kind regards ,

Peter Vermeulen
Support Engineer[/I][/B]"

Where did i mention anything about making copies of protected cds?? :confused: + :mad:

Are they checking cdfreaks’ threads or what??

Probably they think that DAO-RAW is a synonym for piracy…

By the way, maybe sending them an email with a lot of sarcasm in it would be an good idea. :slight_smile:

im waiting for that “fb” guy to post “boycott plextor and the riaa” :stuck_out_tongue:

no offence pal.

if you do write back again, mention that backing up protected CDs is not your priority, but having full control over the burner and what it writes.

this is what its all about after all eh ?

What “fb” means?