Feb 09, 2009 & HDTV

vbimport

I was talking to a tech at Dish today and the conversation turned to HD chanels, and what was coming soon in HD programming, I was quite surprised when she stated about 4 more chanels will go HD this year, HBO 2, AMC, IMC, and 1 other chanel I can’t remember.

She stated that companys like Best Buy, and Walmarts started all the mis-information regarding HDTV and Feb 09, 2009, that is the date that over the air stations must go HD, she stated that it will be many years before Dish goes all HD.

I know that some good HD chanels were cut from Dish in the last couple of months, to make room for other chanels.

With the money they are charging for programming, they should be required to put enough birds in orbit to transmit all signals at 1080p in 2009. I told them they should cut all the buy programs, and some of the preachers to make some room for HD. Ron:a

Indeed that’s a misinformation but I’m pretty sure not from Bestbuy or Walmart.

You can find the correct information here: http://www.dtv.gov/

On February 17, 2009 all full-power broadcast television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting on analog airwaves and begin broadcasting only in digital.

So it’s not from standard to HD but analog to digital.

I’m aware of that information, I believe what she was getting at is the fact that stores like Best Buy push the large screen HDTV with misinformation pertainimng to future HD programming.

I went through this when we bought our HDTV in the last 6 month’s, I stated that we had Dish network and was told by the salesman that the programming on Dish would all be HD by Feb 9, 2009.

It’s as much my fault Zevia, for not checking this out further before I purchased my set, not sure if I would of purchased it then, if I knew what I did now.

It is highly unlikey we will see any 1080p signals from Dish in the near future. Ron

[QUOTE=rlmack;2083678]
It is highly unlikey we will see any 1080p signals from Dish in the near future. Ron[/QUOTE]
I’d settle for 1080i at a decent bitrate. But this is not unique to Dish. Most all providers are using 720p or bit-starved 1080. Actually, 720p often looks better.

FWIW, 1080p is not an HDTV broadcast standard, and never has been.

[QUOTE=CDan;2083707]I’d settle for 1080i at a decent bitrate. But this is not unique to Dish. Most all providers are using 720p or bit-starved 1080. Actually, 720p often looks better.

[B]FWIW, 1080p is not an HDTV broadcast standard, and never has been.[/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly! And never will be!

[QUOTE=zevia;2083646]Indeed that’s a misinformation but I’m pretty sure not from Bestbuy or Walmart.

You can find the correct information here: http://www.dtv.gov/

So it’s not from standard to HD but analog to digital.[/QUOTE]

Yup, get tired of hearing that one myself. For those who aren’t really bothered with it AND don’t have a set-top box of some kind they can solve the problem for $40-$50 with a DTV converter on their existing set.

RIMACK,
I thought it was digital eliminating analog [over the air free analog
signals] was what they are talking about?. Anyway if dishnetwork
is going to switch to total H.D. I am cool with that since I have dish
H.D. already
Thanks for the info.ZAP.

that’s ridiculous.

finding the right tv and making the choice to go HD is already hard enough without claims like that floating around.

Dish network is in the process of up-dating there hdtv recievers so that they can recieve 1080p signals, there will be one pay-per-view channel that will show these movies at this time.

It would be nice if we could utilize our av recievers to enjoy dolby digital without having to spend $5 every time.

Dish is advertising up to 150 hd channels by years end, how many of these will be pay-per-view?

I don’t like it when company’s spew false information, read up on dish networks new Turbo HD programming if you want a laugh about deception.

Ron

While DISH is still a few weeks away from delivering 1080p VOD, some of the details of how it’ll actually work are starting to emerge. The content will be delivered to your HD PVR the same way some of DISH’s VOD is, via your broadband satellite connection. It will be downloaded whether you want it or not, and once the transfer is complete, it’ll show up with the rest of the VOD offerings. Before you’ll be able to play the content though, the box will run a 1080p test to ensure your TV is up to snuff. If for whatever reason your display isn’t capable of displaying 1080p, then the box will convert it to whatever resolution you usually use.

:cool::cool:

Now that is complicated…

My 622 reciever has been up-graded to recieve 1080 p signals.

The pay-per-view movies that you will be able to rent are on chanel 501, and appears to be 16 different selections.

On aother note, the dish tech was at my house yesterday to replace a cable on my dish. He stated that dish has put 3 new birds up that are off to the side of the existing ones, he did not know when these birds would be put on line, but did state that the 129 bird could not handle all of the HD chanels.

Maybe we will see some improvements in HD in the near future,

Ron

[QUOTE=rlmack;2113063]My 622 reciever has been up-graded to recieve 1080 p signals.

The pay-per-view movies that you will be able to rent are on chanel 501, and appears to be 16 different selections.

On aother note, the dish tech was at my house yesterday to replace a cable on my dish. He stated that dish has put 3 new birds up that are off to the side of the existing ones, he did not know when these birds would be put on line, but did state that the 129 bird could not handle all of the HD chanels.

Maybe we will see some improvements in HD in the near future,

Ron[/QUOTE]

Actually, there are no 1080P “signals”. What Turbo will do is download movies to your DVR, and VOD will play them from there. It also will not work unless it recognizes a 1080P monitor connected by HDMI.

Also good to note that, as usual, your Dish tech was wrong. There’s currently one new bird that will effect HD programming, and it’s at 110 next to several other birds. It will allow Dish to proceed with a conversion to MPEG-4 on all channels, not just HD. There’s no published timetable for that change.

One other note, it’s my understanding that you will only be able to watch one of these movies off the dvr 1 time within a limited amount of time, I believe it’s 9 day’s. I was told previously by dish that you would have unlimited access to the movie for 24 hrs, and then if you recorded to the dvr, you would be able to view it once. Once somebody uses it, we will know.

I believe hbo and cinemax will also start limiting thier programming that is down loaded to the dvr to a number of days, not sure when this will start.

The dish tech did not state that all 3 birds were for HD, he did say he just had schooling where he was made aware of it.

Ron