Feature rich drive?

vbimport

Which drive has a lot of features, mainly being able to scan and detect jitter? And it has to have good read/burn qualities too. I only burn DVD+R (verbatim) and DVD+R DL (verbatim) and CD-R. I don’t need lightscribe or any gimmick like that.

The thing that I’m willing to sacrifice is speed, both read and write.

No asus/pioneer please.

Thanks.

Lite-ons are the only readily available drive u can scan with so :slight_smile: id use a combo of drives imo , Pioneer 215/115 for burning with a patched firmware and a lite on for scanning :slight_smile:

Ah gay i gotta stop skim reading , see u dont want a pioneer , can i ask why ? , i have 2 pioneers and they out some superb burns :clap::clap:

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2111684]Lite-ons are the only readily available drive u can scan with so :slight_smile: id use a combo of drives imo , Pioneer 215/115 for burning with a patched firmware and a lite on for scanning :slight_smile:

Ah gay i gotta stop skim reading , see u dont want a pioneer , can i ask why ? , i have 2 pioneers and they out some superb burns :clap::clap:[/QUOTE]

I don’t hate pioneer, I don’t like Asus, and they seem to have teamed up? So I would avoid them together. It’s not about their “features”, it’s because Asus makes bad quality products that always breaks.

I have a Lite on 165SH, it is picky with audio CDs, and some other pressed CDs as well. Like a driver CD too. It won’t read those CDs.

I installed a second samsung h62n, it can read more pressed CDs, but it has bad reading accuracy, when ripping with EAC, it always have problems. Sometimes even in secure mode it fails, and the Liteon rips perfectly. And the H62N can’t scan media.

And the Liteon can’t detect jitter, just PI/PF errors.

Do newer model Liteons detect jitter?

Are Liteon drives generally know for good scanning ability? And burning DVD+R DVD+RDL and CDR?

Well asus are rebaged pioneers as far as i know , also its only the firmware that makes em poo , and get a newer litey mine reads anything i throw at it

H62N = LG, not Samsung. :wink:

I also like my Pioneer (115D).

LiteOn drives can indeed detect jitter (with CD-DVD Speed), although I think there maybe a problem with jitter and DL media on some models.

I agree with Marc, in that I would go with a pair of drives - LiteOn for scanning, and Pioneer or one of the Samsung 203x drives for burning (the Samsungs are also excellent readers, if that interests you).

[QUOTE=Arachne;2111702]H62N = LG, not Samsung. :wink:

I also like my Pioneer (115D).

LiteOn drives can indeed detect jitter (with CD-DVD Speed), although I think there maybe a problem with jitter and DL media on some models.

I agree with Marc, in that I would go with a pair of drives - LiteOn for scanning, and Pioneer or one of the Samsung 203x drives for burning (the Samsungs are also excellent readers, if that interests you).[/QUOTE]

So is the samsung the best all around drive? Can it scan and detect jitter?

What’s the difference between the 203 and the 223?

I like it (I have a 203N). There’s some debate about how good it is at scanning (and I don’t think it does jitter) - though someone may like to correct me there, as I don’t use mine for scanning - but for burning they’re excellent drives.

As for the 223F, results I’ve seen so far don’t impress me (scan thread here), so personally I’d stick with the 20x drives for now.

And the difference between the two drives is the 203x drives are 20x drives, while the 223x drives are 22x. :slight_smile:

Oh, and you don’t say what interface you require. If you have no SATA, the Sammy 203x is out the window :wink:

With needing all of what you mentioned only drives that are hard to find and are no longer in production would fit that description. [B]Real[/B] BenQ’s and Plextors.

Only way to get what you need now is with having multiple drives like suggested.

Beings how you need quality CD-R burning the Samsung drives would be the best for that. For CD scanning i have no idea what to suggest to you.

This is my opinion and you can use my info for whatever it’s worth. Let the flaming Bob begin…

Samsung drives cannot scan jitter with any known tool.

You’d need what some of the others have suggested above to get the best balance for what you are attempting to get. :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
The best all round drive would be a genuine BenQ 1620/1640/1650/1655.(Genuine Plextors, but then you’d need to use Plextools & not CD/DVDSpeed for best results.)
Will scan DVD’s both SL & DL including jitter in a single pass.
The Samsung can do all this except jitter. Which is absent.
Asus/Pioneer could be seen as Lite-On/NEC clones.
So add them to your do not want list.
Seriously if you are only going to have a single drive then the Samsung may well be the solution.
However the 203B which is scarce now is the best of the 203 range.
203N comes very close though.
223 as a reader is as good, but the burning aspect not so.
If you don’t want to scan DL or CDR’s (CDR scanning is futile with Lite-On) then the latest Lite-On’s have to be considered.
Need a second pass to include jitter.
Though not my favourite burner by a long way.
As for the burning aspect Pioneer have been my choice for a while now.
Latest offering from Optiarc (72** series) worth considering too.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2111713]I like it (I have a 203N). There’s some debate about how good it is at scanning (and I don’t think it does jitter) - though someone may like to correct me there, as I don’t use mine for scanning - but for burning they’re excellent drives.

As for the 223F, results I’ve seen so far don’t impress me (scan thread here), so personally I’d stick with the 20x drives for now.

And the difference between the two drives is the 203x drives are 20x drives, while the 223x drives are 22x. :slight_smile:

Oh, and you don’t say what interface you require. If you have no SATA, the Sammy 203x is out the window ;)[/QUOTE]

I see, as I said, speed isn’t important. I Yes, I do use SATA.

Is the S223 bad just bad at 22x? Or is it worse than the 203 at lower speeds as well?

What I meant by good quality is that the burn should last long, like it shouldn’t degrade in a short while.

What if I don’t need good CDR burn quality, just

DVD+R
DVD+R DL
can read all pressed CDs
Scan with PI/PF and jitter?

Is there an ideal drive for that? I’m kind of annoyed that some drives like the liteon h165sh can’t read so many pressed CDs.

I had the Lite-On LH-16S5H, which is what you mean.
It wasn’t very good.
I thought it a bit of a stop gap filler drive from Lite-On.
Their other models are better.
If you must have scanning, then Lite-On - in terms of current drives is the only option.
If you are more interested in burn quality. (Don’t forget the TRT’s can give a fairly good idea here).
Then the latest Pioneers (or possibly Optiarcs).
The 223 is not as good as the 203, in terms of burning.
But this is likely to be addressed by f/w updates.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2111717]Hi :slight_smile:

If you don’t want to scan DL or CDR’s (CDR scanning is futile with Lite-On) then the latest Lite-On’s have to be considered.

[/QUOTE]

Why does the lite-on have problem scanning CDRs? I do need to scan CDs, both pressed and burned.

Edit: What’s the best liteon model?

[QUOTE=Goit;2111723]Why does the lite-on have problem scanning CDRs? I do need to scan CDs, both pressed and burned.[/QUOTE]An inherent trait with all MediaTek-based DVD reading/writing drives. They don’t report all the errors encountered, leading to a false scan

Edit: What’s the best liteon model?
There is no official best. Right now, though, the DH20A3 and DH20A4 series are both pretty good.

The DH20A4 is probably about the best of the bunch, but there’s not a lot in it.

“An inherent trait with all MediaTek-based DVD reading/writing drives. They don’t report all the errors encountered, leading to a false scan” (Albert.)
Applies to the Samsung too.

So there isn’t a drive that can scan everything? And read everything?

[QUOTE=Bob;2111714]
For CD scanning i have no idea what to suggest to you.
[/QUOTE]

Nec drives are very good at scanning and burning cd’s:bigsmile:.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2111717]
Asus/Pioneer could be seen as Lite-On/NEC clones.
[/QUOTE]

Funny, I thought that Pioneer was only using the nec chipset, and that the PCB and the rest parts was designed by pioneer.
No idea about new ASUS drives, but i think that the only use the mediatek chipset, not sure about it.

[QUOTE=vroom;2111731]Funny, I thought that Pioneer was only using the nec chipset, and that the PCB and the rest parts was designed by pioneer.[/QUOTE]Right, except when Pioneer rebadges an Asus drive.

No idea about new ASUS drives, but i think that the only use the mediatek chipset, not sure about it.
Also right. Some old Asus drives were rebadges Pioneers, but the new drives are of their own design [although, IIRC, Asus decided to stop making drives recently].

[QUOTE=vroom;2111731] [B]Nec drives [/B]are [B]very good [/B]at [B]scanning[/B] and burning cd’s:bigsmile:.[/QUOTE]

Really!!
I’d say passable.

[QUOTE=vroom;2111731]
Funny, I thought that Pioneer was only using the nec chipset, and that the PCB and the rest parts was designed by pioneer.
No idea about new ASUS drives, but i think that the only use the mediatek chipset, not sure about it. [/QUOTE]

Yes there is a Pioneer model with LS function, just like one of the Optiarcs.
Both Lite-On clones.
Asus has swapped chipsets & will no doubt do so again in the future.

As Albert points out Asus no longer make their own ODD’s. So they obviously farm out to the best option at that time.

[QUOTE=vroom;2111731]Nec drives are very good at scanning and burning cd’s:bigsmile:.[/QUOTE]

Forgot about that, and I agree :wink:

Edit: At least, my 4551A (and newer Optiarc 5170S) do pretty well at it, at 32x :wink: