FDISK Vs Partition Magic

Hey anyone knows whether part magic is much more better than Fdisk. I know abt the multiple primary partitions that can be made. But the fact remains that i have been using fdisk for as long as i can remember also can i get part magic for dos or can i use it to partition my HDD with the new ver 7.0?

Also i lost abt 1 gig after partitioning my 20 gig is this normal? and does it happen with PM too?

Well I for one think Partition Magic is more userfriendly than FDISK, heck anything is more user-friendly than FDISK. :slight_smile:
But it sounds as if you are already aquinted with FDISK, and I can’t find any real reason to use one over the other.
Maybe if you are in some “special” situation, I completly wipe my disk when formatting so I don’t have such big demands on partition software :wink:

What did you use when you “lost” one GB?
You know Windows calculates disk-space a little different (1024MB = 1GB instead of 1000MB = 1GB) so you’ll always lose a little space, but if you had 20 gigs before I see no reason why there should be 1 missing…

PM is an awesome tool. You can move free space between partitions, merge partitions, convert file systems and much more.
Version 6 and up are fine for NTFS, 7 and up for merging NTFS partitions. (I think) I’m always fiddling with drives and partitions, PM and DI are 2 of the best tools I’ve ever bought.

@Airhead: You wrote 1024 MB vs 1000 MB.
You meant 1024 MB (= about 1.073.000.000) vs 1.000.000.000 bytes of course :stuck_out_tongue:

Eventho i lost the gig i was talking abt i cant afford to format since i got 98, 2000, XP and abt to install advanced server. I have all my cisco configs and unless i get a new drive? is the seagate baracuda 60 gig sufficient? also tell me abt SLACK? is it more on fdisk or PM and tell me abt the DI u said wht is that?

thank u

how does PM work for an instance once the HDD is formatted. Can i run thru dos and configure like FD also i lost the gig i was talking abt thru FD>

regards

Yes, you can run PM off a floppy, I also keep a copy on a FAT partition to run from DOS. Very handy.

PM7 is 22mb after all so tell me how do i get it on a floppy and also if so whts the ver ?

thanx a mil

You create the floppies from the program, it’s a stripped version of the PM program. I have ver 6, I can’t say for sure if later versions can make the floppy or not. The floppy version does most of the same things Fdisk will do. The .exe is about 34KB.

I got win xp home pre installed on my new computer and it doesn’t have FDISK! does win xp come with fdisk normaly? or is fdisk on the xp bootfloppys that you cam make with a tool you have to download from microsofts site

FDISK vs Part Magic, this is a debate that goes on forever.

Fdisk can be very ruthless if a mistake is made. But the reason that space gets lost is due to cluster size. Lets say you have a 100k file( I know its small but its for example purposes). And you formatted the drive initally after you set it using Fdisk. Whatever the default setting is correct?? Ok lets say its set up to use 16 k clusters. When Windows writes the file to disk it divides the 100 k up over a few clusters ( 100 divided by 16 is 6.25), it writes it over 6 clusters. If it is, lets say 32k clusters, it would write it as
3 clusters( 100 divided by 32 is 3.125).

Hence the more clusters that are used , the more space is used. I have a 60 gig drive in one of my computers and it says I have 57 gigs free, because I was lazy when I parttion the drive. This is due to it taking the default cluster size.

under XP when you go to set up the drive, you can actually change this to something other than default.

I’ve been using PM for a couple of years, and it’s great! I run 3 partitions with 98se and one with XP (for experimenting with - I’m not about to rely purely on XP yet). It let’s me try out software with relative peace of mind - if I stuff something up (which I have a tendency to do) I still have a working OS on another partition and can still burn cd’s, use the 'net etc. I can reformat/re-install at my leisure. Only problem is it’s a somewhat inefficient way to use the available space on the drive - I need a bigger drive:Z

As for running it, if you want to adjust/modify the partition it’s installed in, you have to run it from a boot disk. If, however, you want to adjust/modify any of the other partitions (hidden or otherwise) you can run the installed programme under windows.

I wouldn’t be without it :slight_smile:

Originally posted by alexnoe
@Airhead: You wrote 1024 MB vs 1000 MB.
You meant 1024 MB (= about 1.073.000.000) vs 1.000.000.000 bytes of course :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes of course I meant that… But thank you for enhancing my message :wink:

Donald_Duck: Here you go.

Partition Magic 8 is out. I just installed it. It faster and better for ntfs partitions. XP don’t have to restart now to see the new size of a partition.:slight_smile:

Originally posted by panos

Partition Magic 8 is out. I just installed it. It faster and better for ntfs partitions. XP don’t have to restart now to see the new size of a partition.:slight_smile:

Have had PM 7 since a while ago but thanks to your tip the new PM 8 has just been intstalled,
which as it looks is better than ever.
:bow: :smiley:

Jippie, thanks to PM8 I have now made an emergency format and reinstalled XP without saving my personal documents… Yehoo… :frowning:

Donald_Duck: Here you go.

thanks airhead doesn’t work in xp though but i’ve got PM8 now so i dont need fdisk anymore and i think ms have switched out fdisk with “diskpart” but I haven’t had the time to try it out

Another new addition to PM8 is an internal browser from which you can view directories and copy / delete files from a linux ext 2/3 partitions:bow: :bow: :slight_smile: .

Originally posted by Airhead
Jippie, thanks to PM8 I have now made an emergency format and reinstalled XP without saving my personal documents… Yehoo… :frowning:
That sounds like fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Airhead

That’s why I store all my documents on my Linux server (LAN connection) ;0