Favorite Copy Software and Why

vbimport

This is a question that I have been wondering about for a long time. There are so many DVD Copy programs these days, I would like some feedback on what your favorite program is and why you chose to buy it. I was going to make this a poll but there are way too many programs. Discussion is fine here in this thread, all programs can be included even if we do not have a sub forum for them. All I ask is that you do not post links.:smiley:

I use AnyDVD HD to break encryption on dvds. Most of the time I use DVDShrink to examine the disk, to see how much compression is necessary on a main movie backup (I rarely do full backups). If there is no compression necessary, or if it is less than 5%, I’ll go ahead and use Shrink to rip the movie to the hard drive.

There have been a few movies with strange structures that cause problems with the AnyDVD + DVDShrink combination. For those I’ll rip the entire movie with the built in ripper in AnyDVD or use DVDDecrypter (with AnyDVD in the background).

For those movies that require a bit more compression, I’ll rip the uncompressed movie to the hard drive and use DVDRebuilder Pro to make the main movie backup. Using ProCoder as the encoding engine, the backups are excellent quality, second to none in fact.

Burning to disk I use ImgBurn.

Nearly forgot to add my reasons for buying the programs. AnyDVD HD has the ability to decrypt both dvds and Blu Ray, so that was part of my reasoning for getting it. I don’t have Blu Ray equipment yet, but probably will soon. Also, it has free updates for the life of the program. Another good incentive.
I bought DVDRebuilder Pro early on, in the beta stage, and it has been a great program. Very fine quality output, flexibility in encoder selection, and the author has continued to add features like mobile encoding. DVDRebuilder Pro also has free updates for the life of the program.
The other programs I use are free, though I have donated for DVDDecrypter and ImgBurn.

Thanks for your reply Kerry56, I hope we get more feedback. :clap:

Dang Kerry; you have just stated my procedures to the T.

I also have Rebuilder Pro but have not used it much lately; I sometimes play around with FAB, 1Click Pro, CloneDVD, Recode just for comparison sake, but am still a big fan of Shrink.

Well, I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 most of the time, in case I use CloneDVD to create a ISO and for all other DVD isos I use ImgBurn to burn.

DVDFab 5 is a great program too.

so one can say my favourites are

-AnyDVD, CloneDVD2
-ImgBurn
-DVDFab

DvdFab or RipIt4Me full rip everytime/Dvd Shrink, (unless I am doing DL)/ImgBurn. Another movie only plus audio fan. TV shows mostly DL, but some I will compress, see how they look & if okay will burn to SL.

[quote=Blu-ray;2149628]Well, I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 most of the time, in case I use CloneDVD to create a ISO and for all other DVD isos I use ImgBurn to burn.

DVDFab 5 is a great program too.

so one can say my favourites are

-AnyDVD, CloneDVD2
-ImgBurn
-DVDFab[/quote]
Hi Blu-ray and Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for your feedback, I hope you will take your time and look around our forum and post anything you have questions about, maybe you can answer some also. Its good to see a new member getting involved. Again Welcome to CDF.

The application I consider as most useful is

1. AnyDVD HD
  2. CloneDVD
  3. DVDRebuilder
  4. DVDShrink
  5. ImgBurn

I bought AnyDVD + HD option + CloneDVD some months ago and this is the application package I consider the most useful on my PC (except my music-creation tools, of course).
Slysoft has a great update policiy (free lifetimes updates which are released frequently), and I NEVER EVER had a dvd movie I could not back up. Also, I never ran into compatibility propblems with any standalone I threw my backup-discs at. Every disc was easy to be backed up and worked everywhere I tried.

DVDRebuilder also has this free-lifetime-update policy, even though it’s very cheap.
Since I discovered it, I don’t use Shrink any more, since DVDRB gives me a better picture quality and is updated regularly.

ImgBurn is THE tool for burning my data files and ISO images to DVD, it never crashes on my mashine, is easy to use and free!

My routine for backing up movies:
[B]1)[/B]
Starting AnyDVD
Starting CloneDVD

• choosing “Backup DVD”
  • set the target size to DVD-DL, so it does not transcode
  • copy the entire dvd to my hard disc, only blanking some unwanted stuff (copyright warnings…)
    Starting DVD-Rebuilder
  • choosing MovieOnly mode
  • set up HCEnc as Encoder
  • click Backup :slight_smile:
    Burn the output with IMGBurn

[B]2)[/B]
Starting CloneDVD again

• choosing BackupDVD
  • Unselect the main movie!!, keeping everything else
  • set the target size to DVD-5
  • click "start"
    Burn the output with ImgBurn
    [I]This gives me the whole menu with all extra features (eg interviews, making-of…etc)
    Of course I do this only if the disc contains some interresting extras. [/I]

[B]Backing Up episodic dvds:[/B]
let’s assume this is a dvd containing four episodes of a TV series

Starting AnyDVD
Starting CloneDVD

• choosing “Backup DVD”

• set the target size to DVD-5

• blanking episode 3 + 4, keeping everything else, including the menu, only removing unwanted stuff (copyright warnings…).

• set output to ISO, naming the file e.g. “Anatomy S1 D1.1”

• go back to the screen where you can select the titles

• blanking episode 1 + 2, keeping everything else, including the menu, only removing unwanted stuff (copyright warnings…).

• set output to ISO, naming the file e.g. “Anatomy S1 D1.2”

Burn the Iso files with ImgBurn

Now we’ve got 2 dvd’s instead of one, but with all extra features, menu and perfect picture quality.

Nov

of course, blah blah blah, one click solution, DVDFab Main Movie Mode. yes, that is my voice.

i really like anydvd and dvdshrink, as such i have setup a batch file to open both at the same time. [as a dvdfab user i can not have anydvd running at the same time]

@echo off
cd /d "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD"
start anydvd.exe
echo.
cd /d "C:\Program Files\DVD Shrink"
start DVDShrink.exe
cls

and for the clonedvd2 fans

@echo off
start anydvd.exe
echo.
cd /d "C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneDVD2"
start clonedvd2.EXE
cls

just create a text document and save as a .bat file, easy cheesy. :slight_smile:

My favourite program is dvdfab as it has never failed me for making a perfect full disc backup that has no compatibility issues with any of my dvd players. The reason I chose dvdfab was because dvd region+css free stopped being updated and dvdfab was made by the same creators. I also purchased anydvd hd around the same time because dvd region+css free was no longer being updated and I wanted to be able to watch my other region originals on my computer. I purchased clonedvd2 along with it as an extra option for backing up my dvd’s with. I just purchased dvdnextcopy pro recently and the reason for that is because I read that it can make better quality backups than dvdshrink can and I am starting to like it more as I learn how to use it. My all time favourite dvd copy programs are still dvdshrink and dvd decryptor even though they are not updated anymore. I have other programs but they are not worh mentioning. Hope I said all that was required

[quote=troy512;2149861]of course, blah blah blah, one click solution, DVDFab Main Movie Mode. yes, that is my voice.

i really like anydvd and dvdshrink, as such i have setup a batch file to open both at the same time. [as a dvdfab user i can not have anydvd running at the same time]

@echo off
start anydvd.exe
echo.
cd /d "C:\Program Files\DVD Shrink"
start DVDShrink.exe
cls

and for the clonedvd2 fans

@echo off
start anydvd.exe
echo.
cd /d "C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneDVD2"
start clonedvd2.EXE
cls

just create a text document and save as a .bat file, easy cheesy. :)[/quote]
Very impressive video Troy, congrats, I bet that video get alot of hits, great job.:clap:

I tend to play about with and optimise by backups so my routine is:-

1. Rip [U]full[/U] disc with RipIt4Me or DVDFab

B For movie only backups with little or no compression[/B]

1. I completely ignore the disc structure and use the movie only option in DVD2One. I use DVD2One not only because of the speed but also because it allows me to automatically reduce the process of stripping unrequired audio/subtitles and generating the required fileset to virtually one click.

2. Burn with Nero or ImgBurn. ImgBurn is the best burning software available but historically I’ve always used Nero so I tend to stick to it for single layer burns.

B For full disc backups[/B]

1. Examine structure and edit with PgcEdit.

I use this for removing unwanted trailers, useless commands, uncalled PGCs, selectively removing unrequired PUOs, editing DVD navigation structure and editing menus to remove selections that are no longer valid (if required).

I used to use VobBlanker for blanking titles but to be honest PgcEdit is now so powerful and comprehensive that I use it for everything these days. Superb piece of software and I couldn’t manage without it.

1. Check that all works as planned in PowerDVD

2. A quick pass through FixVTS to remove the blanked cells.

3. If very slight compression is required I run through DVD2One.

For higher compression I use DVDRebuilder with the CCE encoder used for compression and bitrate redistribution handled by the HC encoder (the HC encoder is better and I’d like to use it for compression as well but it runs very much slower on my now aging single core processor)

1. Burn with Nero or ImgBurn

[B]Wombler[/B]

RipIt4Me, Shrink 2.3 and VobBlanker, DVDRebuilder Pro (if needed to fit DVD5), Image Burn

Why: Free, Free (to view in RAW), Free, High Quality Compression, Free (no coasters yet with Verbatims).

Hmm there is really so many out there but I have to say that my favorites are :

1. DVD neXt COPY

2. DVD Rebuilder Pro

3. Using anydvd hd as my decrypter

I have found while testing that DNC uses more less a one pass encoder (HC) I think but not sure.

Before that I used to use CloneDVD2 and remove the unwanted titlesets out then use DVD Rebuilder Pro, this was before DNC could do advanced backups similar to CloneDVD2. DVD Shrinks was/is a great program, 1click has a great trouble shooting log (if needed). DVD Fab is great just because of it’s all in one. I still at times use Imgburn but it is mainly to change the booktyping to DVD-ROM now days and look at filters and such. I used to be a great big fan of most of these transcoding applications till I was introduced to the world of encoders and feel the time = better PQ out weighed the hurry up and do something else. Of course this is just my opinion as others may want to burn and hurry to watch.

AnyDVD HD, because it can do DVD as well as HD DVD and Blu-ray.

ImgBurn, because it’s a very comprehensive burning tools and it’s FREE!

Very interesting. I agree that Imgburn used in conjunction with another software is great, and being a free program is almost to good to be true, I have my own favorites and Imgburn is certainly one of them, but I would like to know what compression softwares people are using with it, the members above have given me a good clue but I sure would like more feedback. Most of the older programs will have to update to do some sort of Bluray feature in the future, I am wondering if anyone has a clue what programs will implement this. I have heard and read about some R&D in this format but not much is known. As we move forward and prices on Bluray players come down I am sure a Bluray feature will be something that might sway a customer to spend a little more and get something for the future.

Not sure when but I ensure you that DVD neXt COPY Ultimate will be doing this sometime in the future. I know That Imgburn can do BD’s but no compression. There is another software company working on backing up BD’s with compression but you’ll just have to wait to hear about that one.

I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 most of the time. EZ to use and works nearly 100% of the time.

There is another software company working on backing up BD’s with compression but you’ll just have to wait to hear about that one.

No, you won’t. DVD Rebuilder is very advanced in developing this.

Regards

[QUOTE=blutach;2157357]No, you won’t. DVD Rebuilder is very advanced in developing this.

Regards[/QUOTE]

Cool, so maybe there will be more than one choice for BD backups.