Faulty Optiarc AD-7585H

vbimport

Wow it’s been a while. :smiley:

Anyway, my now 3yo Aspire 5739g came with an Optiarc AD-7585H. It has never been great from the very start. It would take forever to read discs and has never successfully burned one (not a big problem as I use my main rig for burning anyway).

According to the Optiarc site the drive was obsolete before I bought it (new) so there was never any official f/w for it. So I just learned to live with it as a dodgy read only drive. Over the years I’ve tried fixing it occasionally by re-flashing with a Dell KD03 f/w in the hope that it might kick it up the arse but it has never fixed anything.

I want to reinstall my OS so I came to need the drive again only to discover that it wasn’t working at all. I took it out cleaned it up and flashed (yet again :)) with KD03. And it reads discs again but it’s still not great.

It would seem that the KX04 version is the most up to date but I can’t find it anywhere. :sad:

Here’s some current (and probably random and unhelpful) info on it… (check out the recognition time :confused:)

[QUOTE=ou7shined;2642244]
It would seem that the KX04 version is the most up to date but I can’t find it anywhere. :sad:
[/QUOTE]

It’s not for your drive anyway.

[QUOTE=chef;2642372]It’s not for your drive anyway.[/QUOTE]

Odd. I’ve seen them mentioned together in a few places over the net.

Here’s another symptom. I decided to burn a test disc with Opti Drive Control. It went through the motions, as you can see in this cap…

… and I could hear the drive speed increase as indicated by the graph, but when I went to verify the disc it said that suitable media wasn’t in the drive. I checked the disc and it was still blank. :confused:

You have an Acer Lappy, right?

So you need a firmware from acer, none else.