FAT32 DVD-RAM msg: "Files waiting to be written to the CD"

vbimport

This is for a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4374 laptop with a Matshita UJ-841S DVD-RAM drive under Windows XP.

I was able to use Windows Disk Management to format a new no-cartridge DVD-RAM disc to FAT32 (the only native read/write format for DVD-RAM under XP). From that point I should be able to use the drive like a hard drive with Windows Explorer. But if I try to create new folders, copy files, etc., Windows treats those actions the way it would if the disc were a CD. I get the message “You have files waiting to be written to CD.” That seems wrong, but if I play along and tell it to write those files to CD, I get a message along the lines of “The disc is full or the wrong type.”

The Matshita UJ-841S is not on Microsoft’s list of supported DVD-RAM drives, but it came from the factory with XP installed, so presumably it should work. (I’d press Toshiba but this is out of warranty.)

Anyone recognize this?

Hi and Welcome!

FAT32 is not recommended for DVD-RAM at all. You just experienced one of the reasons why.

Just ask Iris at Toshiba.com for DVD-RAM drivers, grab the newest ones and use UDF file system then. Perhaps check, if there is an update to a newer version available on http://www.bha.co.jp/en/ after successful installation.
In former times, these drivers were preinstalled on Toshiba computers with DVD-RAM drives.
Additional note: You should uninstall any packet writing software like InCD, Drag-to-Disc etc before installing DVD-RAM drivers.

Michael

Most Toshiba RAM-equipped laptops also come with the Panasonic RAM driver installed. If it is, disable the XP burning service before using it. If it’s not, get it.

I think that’s equivalent to what I ended up finding as a solution. On the Recording tab of the DVD-RAM properties (accessed from My Computer rather than Device Manager), I un-checked “Enable CD Recording on this drive” and the disc became instantly usable as expected.

[quote=mciahel;2032481]Hi and Welcome!

FAT32 is not recommended for DVD-RAM at all. You just experienced one of the reasons why.

Just ask Iris at Toshiba.com for DVD-RAM drivers, grab the newest ones and use UDF file system then. Perhaps check, if there is an update to a newer version available on http://www.bha.co.jp/en/ after successful installation.
In former times, these drivers were preinstalled on Toshiba computers with DVD-RAM drives.
Additional note: You should uninstall any packet writing software like InCD, Drag-to-Disc etc before installing DVD-RAM drivers.

Michael[/quote]

Hi, Mciahel, I didn’t see your reply before I replied to CDDan.

I previously looked for Toshiba DVD-RAM drivers for this Satellite model, but none were listed. I also did a general search for Satellite DVD-RAM drivers, and looked at the supported model list for the most recent driver it found, and this A105-S4374 was not listed. Do you think it will work anyhow?

Who is BHA? I looked at their download page and saw that what they were offering was an updater. It seems that the download is not a full version of the driver, that I would have to have a qualified driver installed already. True?

Though FAT32 seems to be working fine now, it would indeed be nice to know that I had a UDF option.