Fastest transcoding software

vbimport

I know that to convert an AVI to something playable on a standard DVD player, it is necessary to reformat the video file. I have tried several applications, including ConvertX, Nero, DVDFab and the free FAVC. I assume that coding speed is mostly a function of my CPU, but does anybody have a view as to the fastest software to create a DVD image?

Silly at it may seem, FAVC seems to be the easiest to use and gives perfectly acceptable results (I tend to download, watch the program, and then rewrite the DVD so quality is not such an issue). Any thoughts on how to speed up the process?

Have you tried Quenc instead of the HC encoder in FAVC? Quenc has a reputation of being the slightly faster one of those two. HC is generally thought to produce better quality output.

There are a couple other free programs that can do the same basic conversion as FAVC. They are DVDFlick and AVStoDVD. Thought I’d mention them in case you haven’t tried them.

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not tried the other two applications but I just downloaded them and will take them for a test drive. I have not tried the the alternate coder in FAVC either, but I will give that a go as well.

I am kind of an old school guy (I built my first computer in the late 70’s from parts) so I don’t mind the multiple batch files FAVC creates. I configured 20 DVD burns yesterday and just renamed the “Title.bat” files to the output names. I can usually run 3-4 overnight and expect them to be 100% coded by morning, which isn’t too bad. The only annoying thing about FAVC is that is “forgets” the last directory used so I have to drill down the folder tree each time.

Still, with Nero trial at a 382MB download there is a certain charm in the old ways.

A little feedback for the next person looking for the same answer.

1. HCenc is a tad slower than QC, but not by much. I tried to convert the same file using each and the difference was only about 4 minutes (52 minutes vs 48 minutes). This was as close to an “apples to apples” comparison as I could manage with similar resolution, audio, etc.

2. HCenc is nicer is some ways. Most importantly, it has a “suspend/resume” button while QC does not. If you are doing a long convert and suddenly need to regain control of your system temporarily, it is possible with HC but not QC; with QC you pretty much have to wait until it is done or abort and start over.

3. I also tried DVDFlick and AVStoDVD. I didn’t think much of AVStoDVD because is was very sluggish on my machine. Users with a faster system may think otherwise. DVDFlick has a very nice user interface and does seem to be a bit more speedy in converting but it has a limited menu system. I like to be able to choose my menu background by downloading a JPG (which you can do in FAVC) but it was not apparent how to do that in DVDFlick. In the final analysis, I deleted DVDFlick because it is designed to do one conversion at a time. Since I like to stack a bunch of conversion jobs and run them overnight, the batch file mode of FAVC is perfect since I can daisy chain the batch files. If DVDFlick has this capability, it was not evident.

Bottom line, there is no perfect tool and it is necessary to experiment a bit. FAVC with HCenc seems to be the best for my system and needs. Your mileage may vary.