Fastest ripping drive?

vbimport

Hello guys. I recently have been reading a lot about ripping BR and read that most drives come with riplock the prevents you from accessing the whole BR, and only lets you rip the parts it lets you access little by little.

I am hoping someone can help me and tell me what would be the best fastest drive for me to buy so I can rip at optimal speed?

I heard a lot of talk about an LG and light-on drive but I am hoping someone can confirm.

Thanks.

I have an LG WH14NS40 and can confirm it is rip-lock free.

Awesome,… SOLD! Lets hope tigerdirect has them :slight_smile:

I got mine from Newegg. The WH14NS40 is the OEM version of the BH14NS40.

Hey can you explain what you mean by OEM? I found both models in tiger direct… Now I am confused in shuck to buy :confused:

Let me know. Ty

Complex question and no single answer fits that same question for all products.

With NewEgg products, first I check the DETAILS and see if one is Retail Box, Comes With Software, With Any Cables, etc.

No? (And in this case, no - it seems both units will be packaged the same, although one may come in a Retail Box, and one will not - the OEM won’t, probably - it may come in simple bubblewrap.)

Often “OEM” indicates “Our manufacturer made their model number and then ran the factory for days longer, produced 10,000 extra units that we shipped to other brands that will relabel them as their own.”

So you might get a Drive (or a product) that was made by Factory XYZ but will have a Sony label on it, while the XYZ Brand has their own. Identical drives, different logos.

Sometimes, OEM products can be updated more easily, and sometimes, with much greater difficulty.

MyCE is a favorite site of mine because, often, I’ll see these very explanations here. “This version of that drive allows better firmware updates, the OEM version doesn’t.” Or vice versa.

The LG BH product, in this case, will probably have firmware updates only available thru LG. The LG OEM unit (WH…) might have firmware ujpdates made available thru other sources.

This means, “Sounds like more research!”

So both models are the same products so do the same thing and have the same specs. Interestingly enough they are both LG, so the change if logo is throwing me off a bit.

On another note. I am at work on y phone so I can’t really do much search on the drum till I get back home in 2 days. But, is there a thread were I can find a firmware update to my current drives? Maybe that would help my rip speed.

Just so much to learn so fast.

Teddy might be able to give specific clarifications about these two models. It might be as simple as “one comes in a retail box, one without”.

To a distributor, this means he can stack far more ‘bare’ units on his shelves than he can for those in a retail box - those might take up, cubically - 3 times as much space.

The reason for the different part numbers would be, then, so the distributors could re-order these ‘bare’ OEM units vs. the retail-box model.

Down the supply stream, a distributor might be selling these drives to PC assemblers and sellers. Just about every city still has a few ‘clone’ shops that build their own computers, or build them to-spec for their customers. For those companies, they’d never want the additional trash that a Retail Box entails, so they’d always want a huge box of bare drives.

When I bought mine the main difference was about $20. The WH had no software, but I really didn’t want some crippled BluRay playing software anyway. There are some threads about these drives and several people on this forum who know better than I do what the difference is.

[QUOTE=juan71287;2679027]So both models are the same products so do the same thing and have the same specs. Interestingly enough they are both LG, so the change if logo is throwing me off a bit.

On another note. I am at work on y phone so I can’t really do much search on the drum till I get back home in 2 days. But, is there a thread were I can find a firmware update to my current drives? Maybe that would help my rip speed.

Just so much to learn so fast.[/QUOTE]

The “BH” and “WH” simply distinguish the market segment that the drives were aimed for. BH being consumer, and usually including software, and WH being commercial, and normally just a bare drive.

They are the same drives, as I have cross-flashed my WH BD drives to BH firmware and back again many times. Other than getting them a bit dizzy, they were fine ;).

LG used to support the BH drives at their consumer website, and the WH drives at their commercial website, but I see they got smart and made the firmwares for both available at the consumer site now :clap:.

What drives are you using?

I honestly dont know what I am using :(… I have a “LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Model ihes112-3”

And i would like to take teh riplock off that one… but I am not sure how to flash the firmware nor do I know what firmware I need to use on it :confused:

Any extra help?

PS: I use my HP db340i to burn my Blu-Rays. I just want to flash my other BR drive to make it rip faster.

[QUOTE=juan71287;2679387]I honestly dont know what I am using :(… I have a “LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Model ihes112-3”

And i would like to take teh riplock off that one… but I am not sure how to flash the firmware nor do I know what firmware I need to use on it :confused:

Any extra help?

PS: I use my HP db340i to burn my Blu-Rays. I just want to flash my other BR drive to make it rip faster.[/QUOTE]

That Lite-on isn’t rip-locked. Its just that that model only reads BD-DL at 6x. Many commercial movie releases are on DL.

Not familiar w/ that HP. What kind of rip speeds do you get with it? And what software are you ripping with? Are you “ripping” the movies, as in copying the whole thing to your hard drive, or “transcoding” the movies, as in compressing them to 25GB or changing them to a different size/format?

I have no clue how to check the speed it is ripping at :(… I have actually never used my HP to rip, only to burn. I use DVDFAB 9 to copy the entire BR and then I try to shrink it to BD25.

Is there a better program to rip?

[QUOTE=juan71287;2679604]I have no clue how to check the speed it is ripping at :(… I have actually never used my HP to rip, only to burn. I use DVDFAB 9 to copy the entire BR and then I try to shrink it to BD25.

Is there a better program to rip?[/QUOTE]

1x speed equals 4.5 MB/sec. If you watch the speed while ripping, you’ll get a sense of how that program/drive combination is doing. Do try the HP. I suspect it will rip faster(8x vs 6x) with BD DLs.

The HP 340i is an iHBS212.

This is what I goth:/ seems to slow. How can I fix that,!!!

I’ve got the feeling using decrypting progs. is not the way to check true rip speed.
These type programs have to sort out stuff as they go therefore some rips can be slower than others.

Is that how everyone rips their BR, or is there another better way?

[QUOTE=juan71287;2680465]Is that how everyone rips their BR, or is there another better way?[/QUOTE]

What is the maximum read rate that you see while ripping? It will be highest at the 50% point for DLs, and at the end for SLs. I do find that some DL discs do rip slower than others. Some will start ripping at nearly twice that speed.

sucks for me… at around 50% I was getting 8mb/s… That means my drive sucks :frowning: