Fastest file type to use and not lose picture quality

vbimport

Hello,
This question may have been asked before and I just couldn’t find it.
Currently when copying my DVDs I have been using MP4 as the output file, as this is the default setting. It seems to take as long to copy the DVD as it would take to view, if not longer.
Is there a different file format that I can use to speed the process up without losing sound and picture quality?
BTW my video player opens every time I put my DVD in the drive. Should I shut it down before starting the process?

[QUOTE=guyo;2786295]Hello,
Currently when copying my DVDs I have been using MP4 as the output file, as this is the default setting. It seems to take as long to copy the DVD as it would take to view, if not longer.
Is there a different file format that I can use to speed the process up without losing sound and picture quality?
BTW my video player opens every time I put my DVD in the drive. Should I shut it down before starting the process?[/QUOTE]
So why don’t you make it mkv? And what your describing is two different problems that you need to fix. Increasing the speed is asking for problems. You player opens because you have it set to run media that is placed in the drive. So this is something you need to fix. Decoding and video process isn’t a quick process it takes time and what you think it should do is not what it will do.

I don’t know what options Digiarty’s software offers, but you can trade space for speed & just copy the entire contents of the disc as-is to your hard drive. I’m not ~quite~ the expert on how to do that. Maybe coolcolors can give you a little advanced advice & go a little in-depth.

The problem is not MP4 as such - I compress a raw 5 minutes (size 3GB) recording to a HD 250MB mp4 file in under 10 minutes using Handbrake.

However, all depending on your hardware…

Conversion is an intensive process… ripping a DVD to VOBs or just to MPEG2 without recoding would be faster.
Some software offers GPU acceleration for the conversion, though if you have AMD graphics, you may have to look a bit harder than for Nvidia.

http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/christmas/
Wonderfox DVD Video Converter offers GPU acceleration for Nvidia, AMD and even Intel - and is currently on a giveaway

The other issue you may run into is riplock - where the drive limits DVD-Video disc speed for quieter operation.Â

Perhaps I’m wrong,but guyo’s post gives me the impression that he’s either using DvdRipper Platinum or VideoConverterDeluxe…
However,neither 1 of those has the option to copy a dvd directly,so,IMHO his best bet would be ripping to mpeg 2 for fastest speed…

[QUOTE=guyo;2786295]Hello,
BTW my video player opens every time I put my DVD in the drive. Should I shut it down before starting the process?[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thank you for using our software. You can choose “Main Title Copy” mode under the output profile to have a try. Anyway, all depends on your hardware, thanks for your understanding.

Best,
Monica