Fastest burn time on the fly?

vbimport

What is the fastest time you can backup on the fly?

A NEC 3500 or 3520 will read a dvd+/- R at full speed 6.67 - 16 speed.

A benq 1620 will record using CAV but this is as fast as the reading speed.

Would a pioneer 108 witing using P-CLV at 12 speed be the best recorder to match up with the NEC.

The pioneer at 12 X CLV would have less buffer underruns and less WOPC calibrations.

Please post back with results.

A full SL ±R or ±RW read with a LiteOn 167 and burned with a 107 or 108 @8x OTF is done in less than 6min 50secs using eg. CloneCD.
Fast enough for me.

Are you sure these are 8 speed times and not 12 speed times?

It takes a pionner 107 8.27 minutes to create a data dvd-r at 8 speed using nero cd/dvd speed.

Trax, I don’t understand your question “burn time on the fly.” You mean rip + burn?

I mean copy from dvd-/+r to dvd-/+r, not hard drive to dvd+/-r.

That’s what I thought.

6:10 for me, from 716 to 1620. The source dvd is in 716a, a movie in DVD+R, DVDShrinked.

You need to have those drives in separate IDE channels.

What media did you use?

The fastest simulated time using nero I have got is 6:31, this was with cmc mag ae1 media at 12 speed, I have no 16 speed media to test.

Data dvd 4489 Mb.

What about a $25 “quickie” reader drive?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=107490
It’s very popular for on-the-fly purposes.

Of course, fastest on-the fly copy times are acheived by:

Reader drive on motherboard’s primary master IDE channel, alone on the cable
Writer drive on motherboard’s secondary master IDE channel, alone on the cable
Hard drives on SCSI, SATA, or an add-in IDE card.

Motherboard’s bios (standard section) set to auto detect and auto type the primary master and secondary master, as this will give the best chance for full performance of your optical drives. You may choose primary slave and secondary slave set to “none” to prevent the motherboard from hunting for devices that do not exist and save time during startup.

In all cases, use high quality, modern, medium-short length interconnect cables that are not cramped or touching other cables in computer case. There is only one brand of round cable that fully conforms to UDMA specs, but most 80 wire ribbon cables perform well. A powerful, low noise, name brand power supply is also necessary. With these, it is possible to put drives onto seperate power channels to eliminate the power issues that cause additional PIFs.

Have a great deal of RAM installed in the computer system to prevent the idiotic, and very slow, trick/issue of Microsoft Windows using the hard drive memory swap file to contain the writing software’s buffer. Reducing the writing software’s buffer to fit in available free memory is vital to on-the fly duplication. So, have as much free memory as possible/budget allows.

With these issues addressed, you should have full 16x speeds.

Basically, it’s having each device on its own controller that will give you the speed you need.

This is ok if you want to burn dvd+r to dvd+r.
It isn’t as fast as an nec 350/3520 at reading dvd-r

Yes, it’s 8x OTF and both drives hang on the same IDE cable/channel.
Less than 6:50 with the 108, less than 7:20 with the 107. :cool: