Fastest BD rip?

vbimport

Hi gang,

I’ve been wrestling with the task of backing up my large BD collection. I’ve read all the posts about rip-lock I could find, both here and on other forums, but I am still unsure what sort of BD ripping speeds can be achieved these days. Any feedback on the following would be much appreciated:

1. Is anyone aware of a current BD drive without rip-lock (or one where the rip-lock can be removed)? Online posts suggest all the new chipsets are “un-crackable”, is that actually so?
  2. Would tracking down an older BD drive be a solution around rip-lock? If so, which make/model would be best?
  3. If rip-lock is completely unavoidable, is there anything else that could make a difference to ripping speeds? What BD drive + software combination would give the fastest (rip-locked) ripping speed?

I’ve struggled to find a fast drive; I’ve tried a couple of LGs (BH16NS55 and BE14NS40) and an ASUS, but all of them were capped at 2x BD reading speed. Ripping a BD on the LG BH16NS55 typically takes me 90mins (at 8.5Mb/s), which is forever when you have a large collection. I’ve had some very useful but sadly not very encouraging feedback from Albert, who notes that BD drives never received any kind of major patches from the community, due to security measures put in place by the manufacturers. Some users suggest the software can make a difference; some even say the operating system matters, but that sounds far-fetched tbh…

What are you fastest BD ripping speeds and how do you achieve them?

Thanks!

I did some informal testing a few months ago where I ripped four commercial Blu-ray discs twice each on 27 different Blu-ray drives, using AnyDVD. Then I got burned out. :eek: However, I found that the fastest, most consistent ripping drives (of the ones I tested) were the following: Asus BW-12B1LT, BW-12B1ST a, BW-14D1XT, BW-16D1HT; HP BD340i; Lite-On iHBS112 (first and second generation); Plextor PX-LB950SA; and Teac BD-W512GSA. Most are Lite-On clones. All were connected to the same SATA III connector on the same computer, and ripped to the same HDD after a reboot. Peak ripping speed was 23-24 MB/s. The most frustrating drives were the Pioneers, with inconsistent ripping speeds even using the same mode (e.g. Performance mode). Of course, YMMV.

[QUOTE=jadburner;2777557]Peak ripping speed was 23-24 MB/s.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, meant fastest average ripping speed was 23-24 MB/s.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply jadburner! Awesome testing and far better speeds than what I’ve managed to achieve thus far. I’ll hunt down one of the drives you mention :cool:

If anyone else out there can top this, please shout :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jadburner;2777557]I did some informal testing a few months ago where I ripped four commercial Blu-ray discs twice each on 27 different Blu-ray drives, using AnyDVD. Then I got burned out. :eek: However, I found that the fastest, most consistent ripping drives (of the ones I tested) were the following: Asus BW-12B1LT, BW-12B1ST a, BW-14D1XT, BW-16D1HT; HP BD340i; Lite-On iHBS112 (first and second generation); Plextor PX-LB950SA; and Teac BD-W512GSA. Most are Lite-On clones. All were connected to the same SATA III connector on the same computer, and ripped to the same HDD after a reboot. Peak ripping speed was 23-24 MB/s. The most frustrating drives were the Pioneers, with inconsistent ripping speeds even using the same mode (e.g. Performance mode). Of course, YMMV.[/QUOTE]