Fastest AVI/MPG to DVD converter?

Anyone knows the fastest one out there that is free or has a free trial so I can at least test it? Mine is taking over an hour to convert an MPG file the size of 400mb, is this normal?

The fastest one i’ve used is vsodivxtodvd on a 2.5 p4 it converts almost real-time. That means if the movie is 2hrs, it takes 2 hrs. It is free, though there is pay version that has more features. Once they add the ability to create a menu i may buy it. As far as speed to convert an mpg, the speed definetly depends on which program you use. Winavi is pretty fast too, but you have to pay for it.

its not only software related , the cpu also affects it

Conversion from AVI to DVD with a good quality is a slow process. Freeware: DIVX to DVD from VSO is quick but lacks quality. Payware: WIN AVI Converter is quick and of excellent quality for speed and price of a one click solution. If your Anal like me you’d use TMPGEnc Plus to encode to an MPEG 2 file. It takes 4.5 hours the way I like it which is 2 Pass VBR. I just let it go overnight the results are awesome. Only thing with TMPGEnc is it doesnt like some formats of AVI.

I just used VSO 0.4.8.9 and it took 1.30hr to convert a 40min MPG. Is that ok or is the later version faster?

BTW, are you able to set any of these programs to convert more than 1 file so it does another straight after one is finish, would be useful as Im trying to convert 10 files and could leave it overnight. Cant do that though if I have to keep waking up every 2hours.

Avi2dvd has a batch mode, and the quality is very good, but the encoders are really slow.

does anyone use mainconcept? i downloaded it but i’m not sure if it can be used to create dvd files (vob etc)

Did you not receive any instructions or a help file (assuming this is a trial version or something)?

[quote=dangerousity;1123620]Anyone knows the fastest one out there that is free or has a free trial so I can at least test it? Mine is taking over an hour to convert an MPG file the size of 400mb, is this normal?[/quote] TRY WinAVI

hey a really good video and dvd converter is total video converter it convertes audio video and dvd its awesome and the quality is really good its not reallly fast but its fair speed

FAVC has the best of both worlds. HCEnc if you want quality, QUEnc if you’re in a hurry.

definatly winavi, i used convertx to dvd and it was so slow. win avi has almost all codecs if not you can download vlc media player and just select the codecs (free)

WinAvi Converter is the fastest so far that I know. It took me to convert a 700 mb movie to dvd format in 20 mins. I recomend this program to anyone.

[I]Edited to remove link to illegal version of WinAVI 8.0.[/I]

@smather

We do not discuss or provide links to illegal downloads at this site. Please review the rules of the forum regarding copyright protected materials before posting again.

Failure to heed this warning could lead to your suspension or complete banishment from these forums.

[QUOTE=dangerousity;1123620]Anyone knows the fastest one out there that is free or has a free trial so I can at least test it? Mine is taking over an hour to convert an MPG file the size of 400mb, is this normal?[/QUOTE]

convertx to dvd takes like 1 hour to cnvert and burn 700 mb

[QUOTE=jamescontin;2491624]convertx to dvd takes like 1 hour to cnvert and burn 700 mb[/QUOTE]

…told you who? :rolleyes: 700mb of what?