Faster reading speeds for +/- R media

vbimport

I know that there is some Toshiba drive that could be hacked so that it could read recordable media at the same speed as non-recordable media.

Is there a way to do that with LiteOn drives? Specifically, does anyone know it’s possible to hack the LTC-48161H so that it’ll read recordables faster? I’m going to guess the answer to be no, but I thought that it wouldn’t hurt to ask…

At over 24x for CDR media, why bother?

You’ll just introduce reading errors.

48/52x sounds fast, but keep in mind that’s it’s only doing double the speed of a 24x read for all of about 5minutes of the disc, and at anywhere in between, it’s going a speed approximately linearly proportionate between 24x and 48x, an average of approx 36x.

Not really that much difference, for a crapload of possible read errors, and of course it wears out your drive faster.

This was in reference in DVD media. :slight_smile: Sorry for not having been specific in my original post.

if you set the booktype to DVD-ROM on +r media it will read at full speed.

Originally posted by cnlson
if you set the booktype to DVD-ROM on +r media it will read at full speed.

It does? Not in my experience… you see, I’m paranoid and I always have data-verification checked in Nero. (I also almost never burn movies and my DVD-burner is used for data, which is why verification is so important for me, but that’s beside the point). In my experience, verification is taking LONGER than the burn itself. The burn is done in about 8 min., and verification is done in about 12 min. because it never exceeds 6x while reading for the verification. This is true even when I’m using bitsetting. So I guess, in my experience, bitsetting hasn’t done anything for me in terms of reading speed.

Hmm. Nevermind. Seems like bitsetting does enable high speed reading for one of my drives. Yay. Too bad it doesn’t work on the burner. :confused:

Originally posted by code65536
Hmm. Nevermind. Seems like bitsetting does enable high speed reading for one of my drives. :confused:

you asked about the 48161h and it will for that but the burners are not fooled :slight_smile: