Faster DVD rip speeds possible? (Pioneer DVR-212)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-212. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’m using imToo DVD Ripper Ultimate and am encoding DVDs to PS3 (MP4) format at 720p. Hardware is C2D E6600, 4GB RAM, Vista Ultimate32, SATA hard disks, Pioneer DVR-212 drive (purchased around July 2008, so probably not 1.24 firmware).

The ripping speed for DVDs is around 13-17fps, which means it takes nearly 4 hours to rip 1 DVD - is this about right? Would I see an increase in speed if I:

1. Upgrade firmware (which I plan to do tonight)?

2. Change the drive to something like a Samsung 203 or 223, which apparently is a faster reader?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

YW-Slayer welcome to the forum, What are you talking about. The ripping to HDD first? Or is it the encoding to MP4 format? I’m not familiar with that dvd ripper but it should only take about 45 minutes max to rip dvd files to HDD. But the encoding of a dvd takes a long time so if that is what taking the longest then the time should be correct

[QUOTE=GJ;2147301]YW-Slayer welcome to the forum, What are you talking about. The ripping to HDD first? Or is it the encoding to MP4 format? I’m not familiar with that dvd ripper but it should only take about 45 minutes max to rip dvd files to HDD. But the encoding of a dvd takes a long time so if that is what taking the longest then the time should be correct[/QUOTE]

Hi GJ, thanks for the welcome!

I’m talking about ripping and encoding the DVD directly to an MP4 file on the HDD. I suppose it would be slightly less frustrating if I ripped several DVDs straight onto the HDD, then upscaled all of them overnight to 720p, but that would still require me to leave the computer on for several hours.