Fast Question should i switch to OS8?

vbimport

Hi im using os 7 ultimate

and was wondering should i make up my mind and switch to

os 8 ? and what version ??

thank u

If you’re going to switch, you’ll need to go to 8.1 as it is the version that Microsoft is going to keep supporting. It is actually 8.1.1, or as Microsoft calls it, 8.1 Update 1.

And you should be aware that a new version, 8.1.2 will be coming out in August. This will probably be the last update to Windows 8 except for minor bug fixes and security updates.

The update in August is said to be a minor one.

There are some advantages to Windows 8, but the user interface is drastically different, as I’m sure you are aware by now. Windows 7 is still an excellent operating system, and unless you have some sort of student discount on Windows 8, I don’t see the point of spending money for this change.

I got Windows 8 when it was first released, and got it cheap. But I’ve had to modify it with Startisback, to work in it comfortably. It has proved to be fast and stable for me, but I refuse to work in the Modern/Metro side of the operating system.

Oh, and if you’re talking about 8 vs 8 Pro, here is a list of some of the Pro features missing in the home version:

[I]additional features include the ability to receive Remote Desktop connections, the ability to participate in a Windows Server domain, Encrypting File System, Hyper-V, and Virtual Hard Disk Booting, Group Policy as well as BitLocker and BitLocker To Go.[/I]

If those are important to you, you’ll need the Pro version.

Many thanks kerry

after reading ur post and doing some research on the internet , I decided to put window 8 on a virtual machine , and see how that goes

thank u for ur fast respond

please update me with any other advices u can help me with

thanks

I would like to know when i am not using the virtual machine ,

all the cores and processors are back to normal on my physical machine

is this correct ???

thank u

Yes, this is true. If the VM is not running, it does not affect cpu usage.

Thank u sir ur alway helpful

thank u

Windows 8 also is a bit faster than 7, right?

Many people believe it is a little bit faster. Hard for me to tell since I switched to an SSD at the same time as going to Windows 8, so [B]everything[/B] was much faster.

Boot times are much faster in 8, but that is due to the way it shuts down and does a partial hibernate mode instead of a complete shutdown.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2733119]Many people believe it is a little bit faster. Hard for me to tell since I switched to an SSD at the same time as going to Windows 8, so [B]everything[/B] was much faster.

Boot times are much faster in 8, but that is due to the way it shuts down and does a partial hibernate mode instead of a complete shutdown.[/QUOTE]

Can u please explain the hibernate mode ??

I also have a raid 0 on my ssd’s but i never did use hibernate mode.

I do not suffer from my boot time it is pretty good , i just would like to know how would hibernate mode benefit me

thanks

This is a better explanation of the Windows 8 shutdown options than I can provide:

thank u

im currently working and learning Ubuntu so u can imagine how much reading I have been doing :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

thanks kerry

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2733119]Many people believe it is a little bit faster. Hard for me to tell since I switched to an SSD at the same time as going to Windows 8, so [B]everything[/B] was much faster.

Boot times are much faster in 8, but that is due to the way it shuts down and does a partial hibernate mode instead of a complete shutdown.[/QUOTE]

The root of problem here is if the same setup but with Windows 7 it would be fast with SSD. So the amount of real differences would be a few seconds of which a human wouldn’t notice it in everyday usage…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2733239]The root of problem here is if the same setup but with Windows 7 it would be fast with SSD. So the amount of real differences would be a few seconds of which a human wouldn’t notice it in everyday usage…[/QUOTE]

I would agree to this 100%

But still cant confirm because i have not used or tried kerry’s method

[QUOTE=speer;2733255]I would agree to this 100%

But still cant confirm because i have not used or tried kerry’s method[/QUOTE]

The tradeoff isn’t much to be had for everyday users…that is the problem. If they are just browsing or using Office suites Windows 7 works just fine at that as well. Only those wanting the newest tech are the one most concerns but for everyday users it is the ability to fire up the computer not literally and start using it and turn it off at the end of the day knowing they got their work done.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2733625]The tradeoff isn’t much to be had for everyday users…that is the problem. If they are just browsing or using Office suites Windows 7 works just fine at that as well. Only those wanting the newest tech are the one most concerns but for everyday users it is the ability to fire up the computer not literally and start using it and turn it off at the end of the day knowing they got their work done.[/QUOTE]

Well said many thanks :iagree: