Fast-food worker returns $185,000 check

Story here

:slight_smile:

I read the story and the thing that thought about it was what good was it to him anyway? It was not made out to him and had he tried to cash it he would for sure been into trouble . Glad that he gave it back but it was not like he found 185,000 dollars and return it. If I found a check like that I would not even think twice I would return it, since trying to cash it would mean I would be leaving a trail that would lead to me. Know it it was cash I would hope I would return it but cash would mean it would be hard for someone to know if I did not.

yeah id return it as well. but come on…$50.00??? id be insulted.

[quote=pythonis;1967476]but come on…$50.00??? id be insulted.[/quote] My thoughts exactly. They could keep their $50. :rolleyes:

Well 50 dollars is better than nothing don’t you know people who have that kind of money do not give it away.

10% finder’s fee

[quote=samlar;1967620]Well 50 dollars is better than nothing don’t you know people who have that kind of money do not give it away.[/quote] I think you may have missed my point somewhat.

When someone does something really important like giving you a lost check for $185,000 then it’s insulting to give a finder’s fee of $50.

Either give no money at all (but lots of thank you’s) or give something that is proportionate to the money recovered.

I wouldn’t be offended if I received gratitude and nothing else for returning the check to its rightful owner, but being handed $50 is something I personally would find offensive.

$50 is NOT better than nothing in this situation, it’s worse; at least for me and probably for many others as well.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1967685]I think you may have missed my point somewhat.

When someone does something really important like giving you a lost check for $185,000 then it’s insulting to give a finder’s fee of $50.

Either give no money at all (but lots of thank you’s) or give something that is proportionate to the money recovered.

I wouldn’t be offended if I received gratitude and nothing else for returning the check to its rightful owner, but being handed $50 is something I personally would find offensive.

$50 is NOT better than nothing in this situation, it’s worse; at least for me and probably for many others as well.[/QUOTE]

The way I read it the person that gave him the money wasn’t the same person as the name on the check. If so, IMO, the girl was being very generous by giving him anything at all. Maybe she couldn’t afford to give him more and her uncle was not available. Maybe she wanted to compensate him for his time to return it and bus fare.

I think all of you are missing the point !
What would the first thing anybody do if they lost a Cheque ?
Ring the Bank and cancel it! What he picked up and thought was litter, Was in fact only litter.
His was unlucky that he lives on food stamps and works for McDonald, If he would have been rich He would have know strait away how to cash the cheque and pocket the money. :slight_smile:

I thought that was what I was getting at in my first post. He really did not find much but I do agree they could have given him more.

Yes you were, :iagree: