Fast encoding vs DVDShrink

I’ve been using DVDShrink for the last two or three years and it was one of the best programs I used for ripping DVDs. Once it stopped being updated, I looked elsewhere and now I’m an avid DVDFab user.
One thing that amazes me about DVDFab Platinum is how fast it shrinks a dual layer to a single layer format. I usually have it done in less than a half hour. With DVDShrink, it could take two or three times as long. Anyone know why DVDFab Platinum shrinks DVDs faster than shrink? I’m just curious

[quote=TomWaddle;1916487]I’ve been using DVDShrink for the last two or three years and it was one of the best programs I used for ripping DVDs. Once it stopped being updated, I looked elsewhere and now I’m an avid DVDFab user.
One thing that amazes me about DVDFab Platinum is how fast it shrinks a dual layer to a single layer format. I usually have it done in less than a half hour. With DVDShrink, it could take two or three times as long. Anyone know why DVDFab Platinum shrinks DVDs faster than shrink? I’m just curious[/quote] [B]Maybe because the author of DVDFAB stays on top of everything thus making it a first class program :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile: and keeping the burning engines updated, JMO[/B]

The reason DVD Shrink takes so long is because it performs a deep analysis of the DVD before compression to improve quality. Plus it has numerous quality enhancements.

It’s one of the reasons why DVD Shrink is still such a great program after all these years.

[QUOTE=linx05;1916886]The reason DVD Shrink takes so long is because it performs a deep analysis of the DVD before compression to improve quality. Plus it has numerous quality enhancements.

It’s one of the reasons why DVD Shrink is still such a great program after all these years.[/QUOTE]

So, if I rip a dual layer using DVDfab, do you think I’d get a better quality compressing it with DVDShrink? Which, by the way, I’ve seen some sites saying it has a new version of the program

[QUOTE=TomWaddle;1917014]So, if I rip a dual layer using DVDfab, do you think I’d get a better quality compressing it with DVDShrink? Which, by the way, I’ve seen some sites saying it has a new version of the program[/QUOTE]
Personally, no I don’t.
Opinions vary to be sure. While I have great respect for shrink and still have it installed on my systems, Fab produces simply outstanding results for me in all modes, whether compression is applied or not.
These days, I rarely use other software, period.

[QUOTE=TomWaddle;1917014]So, if I rip a dual layer using DVDfab, do you think I’d get a better quality compressing it with DVDShrink? Which, by the way, I’ve seen some sites saying it has a new version of the program[/QUOTE]
As to which program gives better compressed quality-do the same movie with both then have the family do a blind “rate the quality”. As to a"new" version of DVD SHRINK not true, either they want to load your system with crap or charge you for a free (and always will be) program.

I echo the comments of my friend and fellow DVDFab user Maineman about DVDShrink. It was groundbreaking in its time, but is outdated and there is no new version, just new scams. Like maineman, I have both installed but only use DVDShrink for specialized projects these days. I think you will find that Fab is faster even with the Deep Analysis option turned off in Shrink, and I have watched many Fab-shrunk movies with a progressive scan player on HDTV and they look great even down to the Quality=70% range.

/EDIT/ tgidday and I were typing at the same time. He did not have to correct my typos and finished first.

Signals said:
"He did not have to correct my typos and finished first."
I had a wife that complained …something about finishing first LOL
sorry about the OT

You may want to take a look here re: scams:
http://www.dvdshrink.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2307.

I believe the most recent (and last) version is 3.2.0.15

I think this post just reminded me the whole idea of simplicity and the use of DVDFab Platinum. I’ve got everything I want in one package. Why bother using two or three programs? That takes time and me having to watch my computer - two things I’m trying to avoid.
If I’m really picky about compression and quality, then maybe I shouldn’t be compressing in the first place!
Thanks for the input everyone

Welcome to the forum.
Come here anytime we all like thinking new members.

Sounds like you have a slow CPU. I still use Shrink and if no compression is needed, I can encode in about 1 1/2 -2 minutes. If compression is needed it will do the first pass in about 3 minutes and the encode in about 4 minutes. Those times were approximate depending on how much compression was needed. More compression/longer times but nowhere near a half hour (or more) that you stated.

The approx times I posted was also encoding from one hard drive to another (which is faster).

DVDShrink is still a good program, where AnyDVD is running in the background. But DVDFab Platinum is excellent to use too. I did yesterday, so just for fun, two DL DVDs compressed to one SL DVDs with DVDFab. Logically it is at such a high compression with loss. Nevertheless, the result (in about 25 minutes) was excellent and better than a VHS-Tape.

Despite the good results, and I will not renounce DVDShrink. It simply has other opportunities that I need. My opinion is that both programs are very complementary. I know no better trio than DVDFabPlatinum, DVDShrink and AnyDVD.

I do love my Platinum,but you gotta love this trio,
DVDFab HD Decrypter>DVDshrink>IMGburn…
But to each his own, as the saying goes…

[quote=t0nee1;1920197]I do love my Platinum,but you gotta love this trio,
DVDFab HD Decrypter>DVDshrink>IMGburn…
But to each his own, as the saying goes…[/quote]

A good trio too :D. I do love my DVDFab Platinum. And IMGburn is also great to use. I think only, that it’s impossible all wanted jobs doing by one aplication… DVDFab is every penny worth, I payed. :iagree:

Maybe I’m just a creature of habit, but I find ripping with FAB, and using Nero Recode to shrink/burn to be a simple, easy solution that has always yielded excellent results. I mean heck, Recode uses essentially the same algorithms as Shrink, and IIRC Shrink uses the Nero burning engine. It’s also possible (though not as straightforward) to tweak Recode’s settings.

That said, I’m keeping Shrink on my PC forever just in case…