Fast burn = less quality?

Despite being able to burn discs at high speeds 32x and above with 0 errors, I wonder about the quality of the data that gets burned.
I noticed that discs get that ‘blurred herringbone’ pattern when burnt at high speeds (you need to look at it under a light at certain angles). They look very different from the smooth burn appearance of my old 4x burns, and even recent 20x burns.

It looks as though the dye got mutilated on these hi-speed burnt discs, if you know what i mean…

any insight?

well, it depends more on the drive and media than the burn speed. If you are using a good drive, with good media at rated speed, it shouldn’t matter. I know that for example, my liteon drive is capable of burning 52x CAV. It starts burning at 24 on the inside ring of the CD. Other people in these forums have determined that the quality of drives like mine would actually be lower when burning at below 24x than the would above. My theory on this is that since the lowest speed that the drive would usually write would be 24, that is the lowest speed that they bothered to optimize the drive for. It really just depends of the media more than anything though. Some media that I have found to be good for high speed (32x plus) writing is Princo, Jensen, Ritek, and Taiyo Yuden. I know that CMC is not good for high speed writing, and if you will look more on the forums, mostly the media forum, you will see that there is some brands that should be avoided alltogether. Just keep the most recent firmware update on your drive, use good media, burn it at rated speed, and if you don’t have errors, be happy.
The only time that I have had problems with the high burn speed is using the CDs in older drives, becuase as the laser makes less contact with the disc per second because of the high RPMs of the drive, the burn isn’t as deep into the disc, but I get around that little problem by using the media that I mentioned above, mainly princo.

Any more questions, please reply.

you need to look at it under a light at certain angles)

Reminds me of when we used to play “Revolution #9” backwards.
But seriously folks, you can spend too much time worrying about things. If you are concerned about the integrity of the CDR, check it every 6 months to a year for errors. The only thing that matters is wheth the drive can read the pits and lands.

Thus far ive recieved no problems. Though be careful when doing audio cd’s at high speed, players that are portable or car stereo’s like mine all have trouble at high speed burnt disc’s

Originally posted by compu44

The only time that I have had problems with the high burn speed is using the CDs in older drives, becuase as the laser makes less contact with the disc per second because of the high RPMs of the drive, the burn isn’t as deep into the disc,.

That is exactly what I was thinking. the burn isn’t deep.

I’d rather burn 40x media at 16x speed and get a deep burn…

My old 4x burnt cd’s look very nice.

I might sound picky, but when i was writing this post, I thought about a friend who burnt a music cd whose sound faded over a short period of time. I just don’t want my cd’s ending up like that.

Stop worrying. Use good media and burn at the rated speed, you’ll be fine. My pickiest player is in my car. I have no problems playing CDR’s burned at 40x in it, as long as I use TY media, or Verbatim. (Cyanine dyes). If I use Phalo dyes it sometimes has trouble tracking. I’ve had TY CDR’s riding in the car in the New Mexico desert for a year now, no problems with them. Burning 40x media at 16x may actually cause more problems than it solves. If you want to be cautious, burn it at 32x.

Originally posted by link626
[B]

I might sound picky, but when i was writing this post, I thought about a friend who burnt a music cd whose sound faded over a short period of time. I just don’t want my cd’s ending up like that. [/B]

i’m quite sure that would have been because of bad media, not the burn speed.

Yeah Phthalocyanine Audio CDs can be a problem. My Sony Portable loses traking on them & stops making a noise like something has broken.

So I use Blue Sony CD-Rs & they play fine.

I am mentioning the ones which have SmartBurn Limit of 24x.

The new sony cd-rs are phthalocyanine & have smartburn limit of 40x.