Farting Cows Make Barn Explode In Germany

vbimport

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/28/farting-cows-barn-explode_n_4680348.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

BERLIN (AP) — A herd of dairy cows nearly lifted the roof off their barn in central Germany when methane released by the animals caused an explosion.

Police in Hesse state said in a statement that a static electric charge apparently triggered the detonation, and a spurt of flame, on Monday at a farm in Rasdorf. The roof was slightly damaged and one cow suffered light burns. No people were hurt.

Police say 90 cows are kept in the shed and it wasn’t clear why quantities of methane had built up. Bovine belching and flatulence releases large quantities of the gas.

Now that is bad and my wife thinks my farts are bad now I can tell her there not that bad.

Just don’t go lighting any matches or go by any flames,Samlar
Did they sound anything like these- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIBv1f_zb7o

It sounds like a B.S. story! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2717979]It sounds like a B.S. story! :p[/QUOTE]

So if we use the analogy we go to the US Congress and light a match all the hot air inside of there should blow the roof of the Congress… lol… :doh: To let more fresh air in to clean all the dirty air out… :clap:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2718021]So if we use the analogy we go to the US Congress and light a match all the hot air inside of there should blow the roof of the Congress… [/QUOTE] I don’t recommend it - the explosion would probably be big enough to send Earth out of its orbit. :bigsmile:

methane good or bad

Actually, it wouldn’t be cow flatulence that caused a methane buildup, but instead it would the 2 feet of crap on the barn floor generating the methane. Especially if heaters were being employed to keep the place warm. So in that regard the story is inaccurate.

[QUOTE=CDan;2718080]Actually, it wouldn’t be cow flatulence that caused a methane buildup, but instead it would the 2 feet of crap on the barn floor generating the methane. Especially if heaters were being employed to keep the place warm. So in that regard the story is inaccurate.[/QUOTE]

what is it in fertilizer that’s explosive to blow the federal building up.

[QUOTE=marloyd;2718082]what is it in fertilizer that’s explosive to blow the federal building up.[/QUOTE]
ammonium nitrate. and diesel oil.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2718034]I don’t recommend it - the explosion would probably be big enough to send Earth out of its orbit. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

lmao… :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2718096]ammonium nitrate. and diesel oil.[/QUOTE]

The funny part is the Diesel fuel’s important contribution is propagating the shockwave in the Ammonium Nitrate.

Ammonium Nitrate will explode very well without the Diesel fuel
(on the order of 4km/sec)

Look up “The Texas City Disaster”

Actually the diesel is the fuel. The NH4NO3 is the oxidizer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate#Safety.2C_handling_and_storage

You can get a mighty impressive explosion with no diesel anywhere around. (The previusly mentioned “Texas City Disaster”)

The Diesel doesn’t actually take part in the initial energetic reaction of the Ammonium Nitrate decomposing.

Ammonium nitrate will detonate at ~3600Meters/sec without any fuel.
this isn’t sufficient brisance to “shatter” stuff or cut steel, but it’s great for pushing things around with great vigor.

Diesel reacts with the HOT decomposition products, Oxygen and various oxides of Nitrogen all of which are strong oxidizers, the Diesel adds energy, But the main force is from the Ammonium Nitrate itself

I will grant you that the efficiency is greater with the diesel, Diesel
increases the “dwell” of the pressure wave

The main reasons they add Diesel fuel to fuel oil in mining blasting
is because the liquid slurry pours more easily into the bore holes
AND the mixture of Ammonium Nitrate and Diesel fuel is less
dangerous to transport than the Ammonium Nitrate alone.

So in essence the Diesel is “icing on the cake”

In World War 2, it was discovered that replacing 20% of the TNT in bombs and shells with powdered aluminum left the bombs with the same power, but powdered aluminum is considerably cheaper to produce than TNT.

MOST nitrogen based explosives are not as “efficient” as they could be because most produce a surplus of Oxygen or oxygen rich oxides of nitrogen when decomposing

Hydrazine is used as a fuel in rocketry, typically with Nitrogen Tetroxide or Nitric Acid as an oxidizer, but some times with high test Hydrogen peroxide, what is less known is that if a rocket nozzle is coated with certain catalytic metals, Hydrazine can be used as an efficient monopropellant.

Hydrogen peroxide, more typically used as an oxidizer, can also be used as an efficient monopropellant All you need is a piece of silver catalyst at the beginning of the divergent nozzle

HT-Peroxide very efficiently (And with disturbing rapidity) converts itself into superheated steam

Trust me on this type of subject:)