Far cry's blacklist?

Same ‘old’ story; installed FarCry (DVD Version, SD 3.20.022), wanted to start game… no go, i shalt close
CD/DVD emulation software, before running the game. After uninstalling d-tools, BW5 and Tweaker (at least
those reg entries i found) it is still the same. Who’s to blame ? Any suggestions ?

AFAIK the only software blacklisted currently by the protection is Alcohol 120% and its virtual drive.

Originally posted by BeLGaRaTh
AFAIK the only software blacklisted currently by the protection is Alcohol 120% and its virtual drive.

Yes, i remember i had the trial installed (same as BW5, deleted, what i found: Alc, AXWhisky…), and maybe i should move to alcohol-forum, but maybe we’ll end this here quicker; are there any hidden, but not secret entries i may have forgotten ?
thanX

None in Alcohol, only suggestions I can make is turn the virtual drives off within the program … File -> Options -> Virtual Drive -> Number of Virtual Drives = 0

You could also try to turn RMPS off … File - > Options -> Emulation -> RMPS Emulation (untick this option)

Hopefully one of those will work, can’t test it here myself as I’m still awaiting it to arrive in the UK :frowning: Only 2 days left though :slight_smile:

Sorry for my bad english BeLGaRaTh; ‘Yes, i remember i had the trial installed’ meant sometime in summer 2003
I’ve uninstalled long time ago. My question only concerned eventual official remains in the registry new Safedisc
could watch for.
And to prevent further misunderstanding: It’s the original
that doesn’t run.

Sorry, my bad :frowning:

AFAIK Alcohol doesnt leave anything behind after an uninstall … The precautions I mentioned I believe are also necessary for original game too, as it will refuse to run if it detects an Alcohol virtual drive …

I suppose you could check if there are any CD/Drives listed on your machine which you know you dont have installed, and that doesnt belong to DaemonTools, as it may be possible I suppose, that it left that installed?

Other than that I have no ideas, other than that the only other course of action is to contact UbiSoft with regard the issue, as the protection should not stop you actually playing the game :frowning:

Ok, last post on this thread from my side (because i’m quite sure that it is Ubisoft looking for any ‘RAW-writing’ software). My aim was to mount and play without DVD, and after i made
a new limited useraccount in XP, the ‘Close CD/DVD Emulation software’ pop up is history and i can play with DT 3.46 (image made with BW 5.15 (slighly modified ‘bad sectors’ profile)).
Of course original runs now, too.

Does Safedisc DVD use weak sectors ?
is there a way to check your image for those errors ?

Originally posted by Crash-Bot
Does Safedisc DVD use weak sectors ?
is there a way to check your image for those errors ?

Don’t know if NERO CDSpeed (ScanDisc) is suited for such jobs, but it says: no weak sectors (no guarantee)

sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but im just trying to clarify something… when u ran nero speedtest, were u checking the mounted drive or ur original cd?

also in daemon tools did u turn on any of the emulation options (liek did u turn on safedisc emulation, etc?) or is this just a straight up bw clone with modded profile, then a straight mount with no options turned on?

the latter.
Reader: Toshiba 1712 FW 1004
Profile:
[BW5]
profilename=FarCry Test
profiledesc=Reading/Writing discs with bad Sectors ???
default=0
topologyread=0
writetopology=0
weaksector=1
autoplay=0
subfordata=0 or 1 (both work)
onreaderror=0

Nero Speedtest:
tested the mounted image (I’m not really a cdfreak, but when i tested older CD-Games (e.g. LoR:Return… ok, never enhanced weak sectors before this DVD arrived) i always had some bad or unreadable sectors, but as i said before, i don’t know whether that proves anything concerning weak sectors on DVD)

D-Tools: no emulation option checked

Originally posted by Terramex
[B]the latter.
Reader: Toshiba 1712 FW 1004
Profile:
[BW5]
profilename=FarCry Test
profiledesc=Reading/Writing discs with bad Sectors ???
default=0
topologyread=0
writetopology=0
weaksector=1
autoplay=0
subfordata=0 or 1 (both work)
onreaderror=0

Nero Speedtest:
tested the mounted image (I’m not really a cdfreak, but when i tested older CD-Games (e.g. LoR:Return…) i always had some bad or unreadable sectors, but as i said before, i don’t know whether that proves anything concerning weak sectors on DVD)

D-Tools: no emulation option checked [/B]

hmmmm

my store bought of lotr: rotk has safedisc 3.15 on it, and i made a image of it just to test it. the mounted image shows unreadable sectors and the retail disc shows unreadable sectors. this is very strange that farcry has no unreadable errors. maybee nero cant read unreadable errors on a dvd?

i got another question for ya…

have u tried burning that farcry image u got?

im hopeing u got a dvd burner to do it, any dvd burner should be able to burn it if it truly has no bad sectors :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by [deth]
[B]i got another question for ya…

have u tried burning that farcry image u got?

im hopeing u got a dvd burner to do it, any dvd burner should be able to burn it if it truly has no bad sectors :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

no, i can not, so i have not and i will not, even if my ill grandma would ask me; buy and try (or buy me a DVD-burner and i will try for you, but which on ? I don’t know yet))

k

from what i read on this thread, either nero cant read bad sectors on dvd or safedisc has dropped bad sectors and went blacklisting/atip only… but im thinking its just that nero cant see the sectors on the image…

really wish i coudl get the dvd version in usa, instead there’s crappy cd version here which sucks lol

Didn’t know.

I hope that day is still far away, when we all wish to have our crappy cd-versions back.

Back to the topic:

FarCry is blacklisting Clone CD 4.2.!

After uninstalling CloneCD the game runs without problems on my PC. I dont have any problems to start FarCry when other burning and emulation software like Alcohol 120% 1.4.8, Blindwrite 4+5, Nero5, Daemontoos 3.46 is installed on my PC.

So FarCry hates CloneCD…but this is funny, because I never would be ably to copy my original FarCry DVD with the CDR burning software CloneCD! So blacklisting CloneCD seems to be a “standard” of SAFEDISC 3.20, no matter if this protection is on the original CD or DVD.

:cool:

But it is possible to create an working mountable image from the FarCry DVD with Alcohol 120% 1.4.8..
Blindwrite5 failed, because I wasnt able to build a working image with the Blindread5-engine.

:wink: