Far Cry 5: Denuvo with VMProtect cracked within 3 weeks

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/far-cry-5-denuvo-with-vmprotect-cracked-within-3-weeks-84122/

It took crackers less than 3 weeks to crack the Denuvo copy protection that is used on the PC game Far Cry 5. The game, offered as a whopping 40 GB download, is now making the rounds on pirate websites. Denuvo x64, VMProtect, EAC and Ubisoft’s uPlay service weren’t sufficient to protect the game against pirates.

It seems like drm isn’t much more than delaying the inevitable. During that “delay” time period where the drm isn’t yet cracked, most likely they hope enough copies of a game, movie, program, album, etc … will be sold at first week prices.

Basically not much more than “kicking the can” with each new snake oil drm release.

I already said in the past if you can make they can break it. All they need to do is make a Serial number attached to each game that would give legit users real RIGHTS here and if they move to another computer then they are the one in control. DRM only helps further Privacy. They never learn do they.

40 gigs for just one game!? Good lord! IDK about anyone else, but there is no way I would even consider buying such an enormous piece of bloatware. Especially if I had to download it over the internet!:eek:

40GB isn’t surprising these days. Try 120+ GB for Gears of War 4.

Sad part is PC games don’t use Blu-Rays for physical distribution, despite the console versions of the same games being released that way. So those that may still buy physical either get a few GBs on physical DVD and download the rest, or the disc contains nothing but a download key.

On some of my machines, 120Gb is my entire HDD! Seriously, is there ever a point where gamers stand up and say “enough is enough”?

Well, there are discussions about such things but I’d be curious how many would cite storage space concerns as a reason for not buying a game (I certainly have though). Ultimately gamers (especially PC gamers) welcome yearly improved graphics and monitor resolutions aren’t decreasing in size so assets for these AAA titles can become large.

That said, sometimes it’s not the graphical game assets themselves causing the filesize increase but things like pre-rendered cutscenes (video files) or uncompressed audio (to save some processing power IIRC?). Nier: Automata, a mid-budget Japanese title which was around 44GB installed, had pre-rendered cutscenes that consumed something like 40GB alone—which weren’t even in 1080p and had stuttering issues. Great game though.