FAQ's & Facts on CD/DVD Printer's?

I’m new to this new subjet on printable cd/dvd’s. I recently read about them and I took interest right away. I thought wicked now I don’t have to buy sticky labels at $20.00 for 100. No smudge solutions sound really good. (When you lend out movies to family friends, weather conditions can cause damage to the vanity of your CD/DVD’s!) :a :bow: :cop: :bigsmile:

InkJet Printers
I read that they are the best option as they print nicely and coat the disk in a lacquer protecting them from smudging.
I also read about Hub printable media is capable of being printed to the center of the CD/DVD. Which sounds great.

1. Are both Hub and Non Hub printables able to print on a CD/DVD printer.
  2. What printer do you recommend is a good buy for quality printing.
    (I’m interested in single color cartridges. Currently I use a Canon i450 and it has 1 Black and 1 Multi Colour Cartridge. Angers me alot because I tend to run out of yellow quicker than everything else and then I’m forced to replace the tank that is still full of blue and red ink.)
  3. I also read about the nonstick ridge near the hub of the CD/DVD’s. Does it interfere with the printing of images?

Thermal Printers
I read they are good for text printing and are poor at printing images. And are a no smudge solution.

1. Is the outcome physically noticeable between a inkjet and thermal print? Anyone have any sample pics?

This is a long complicated subject and you’d do best to look at printer reviews etc… on Cnet. However, I’ll tell you what I use.
First, if you’re in the States I believe that there is some Federal legislation preventing some printer companies from selling printers that print on disk due to potential copyright infringement. I read somewhere else in the 'freaks forum that this was the case.
I live in Oz…no restrictions on label-capable printers.

My printer is a Canon Pixma Ip3000 ( superceded now ) which has a special tray for inserting DVDs /CDs. It comes with simple and effective software that allows for adjustment of prints to account for hub size variability.

The prints are matte but richly colorful. Manufacturers such as Maxdata are now making blanks that have a luminescent 3D sheen when printed upon.

The prints are smudge and water-proof 5 minutes after spitting out of the printer.

Prints take about 45 seconds per disk.

I have never heard of a printer that puts a “gloss-coating”, as you put it, on a disk.

In Oz you can freely purchase Chinese cartridges for about 1/4 of the price of the originals, sometimes less. In my experience, they work just fine. At our computer markets I have paid as little as AUS$5 for a single cartridge. Never had one fail yet.

Hope this helps.