Fan Speed/Noise louder than normal

vbimport

Hey, I noticed this ‘problem’ about a week and a half ago. Whenever I play a game, no matter how demanding it is hardware-wise one of my fans (probably the one on the processor) becomes very loud. That doesn’t bother me too much, though it slightly worried me once it began to happen on all my games and not just the ones like COD4 and Crysis. What really bothers me however is that it will not cool down and be quiet after I exit the game and give it plenty of time… though in the past it used to.

I have been told on another board that the fans are controlled by temperature, the hotter the computer, the faster the fan - the louder the fan. In fact, the way I have been getting it to finally be quiet has been to restart the computer, which probably isn’t good as it is still hot when I restart and the fans go off. So does this mean that my computer is having ventilation problems? It’s not to most ventilated computer, but it’s not in a box sitting on the carpet.

Or could it be dust that is inside to computer? As I lack canned air at the moment. I noticed dust sitting under the fan in the processor heat sink… could this be the problem? :confused:

My card also could be culprit, I have a BFG Overclocked (factory overclocked) 8800 GT. But before now it wouldn’t do this… it’s only been recently that temperature and fans stay so hot and fast, even 30+ minutes after I exit Team Fortress 2 WITHOUT GETTING PAST THE MAIN MENU (as an experiment)

Sorry to ramble, and thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=TGHoplite;2089725]Hey, I noticed this ‘problem’ about a week and a half ago. Whenever I play a game, no matter how demanding it is hardware-wise one of my fans (probably the one on the processor) becomes very loud. That doesn’t bother me too much, though it slightly worried me once it began to happen on all my games and not just the ones like COD4 and Crysis. What really bothers me however is that[U] it will not cool down and be quiet after I exit the game and give it plenty of time… though in the past it used to.[/U]

I have been told on another board that the fans are controlled by temperature, the hotter the computer, the faster the fan - the louder the fan. In fact, the way I have been getting it to finally be quiet has been to restart the computer, which probably isn’t good as it is still hot when I restart and the fans go off. So does this mean that my computer is having ventilation problems? It’s not to most ventilated computer, but it’s not in a box sitting on the carpet.

Or could it be dust that is inside to computer? As I lack canned air at the moment. I noticed dust sitting under the fan in the processor heat sink… could this be the problem? :confused:

My card also could be culprit, I have a BFG Overclocked (factory overclocked) 8800 GT. But before now it wouldn’t do this… it’s only been recently that temperature and fans stay so hot and fast, even 30+ minutes after I exit Team Fortress 2 WITHOUT GETTING PAST THE MAIN MENU (as an experiment)

Sorry to ramble, and thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

First thing would be to vacum and dust out all the dust in your computer and computer heat sinks. That should lower the computer core temperature down. As for the noise if after cleaning is making sonic booms then it would seem reason to replace your CPU fan. But first do a good cleaning inbetween the cooling fins that is where alot of dust builds up. There should be no dust built up between your fan and cooling sink that is a big no no and time to clean out your case and blow the dust out of your motherboard and case as well as blow out your PS supply that tends to gather alot of dust as well. Also anything including your GPU that has a fan and heatsink dust that off as well. Heat is a computer worst enemy when playing GPU and CPU and Memory as well as HDD intensive game or applications.

Seeing as my vacuum alone didnt do so well I got some canned air. They worked beautifully together, and my computer seems fine now. Not only did it not freak out at the TF2 main menu, but it didn’t in game either, and only got slightly loud when I played mass effect, but nothing like before! And, it stopped within 2 minutes after exiting! :cool:

Amazing what a little dust will do… :smiley:
I think I’m done here, thanks!