Famous firmware repository RPC1.org shuts down

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Famous firmware repository RPC1.org shuts down[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/01/myce-rpc1-shutdown-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The famous firmware repository RPC1.org is showing a message stating the site is going to shut down. The administrators write they’ve decided to no longer keep the site up as activity declined.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/famous-firmware-repository-rpc1-shuts-down-78417/](http://www.myce.com/news/famous-firmware-repository-rpc1-shuts-down-78417/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Does indeed bring back both old and more recent memories of visits. Last time about half a year ago as I do have a pile of old drives (I always remove the optical drive from old customer PCs before thrashing them).

To all the people participating to the library over the years: We were many that kept our mouth shut while appreciating your work and so on behalf of all of us, a way late but heartfelt THANK YOU :flower:

With the advent of passkey and anydvd region free firmware became obsolete in the realm of computers. Such a shame though that such a great site is leaving us.

I guess download your firmware mods before they are gone then.

I do not know if this is a good thing or a sad thing that this news article on myce (aka CDfreaks of yesteryear) was written in a format assuming that the reader would not know what DVD drive region codes were, and region locking, and the like. :frowning:

Back in the day I went there, not really for the region free part, but to remove rip-lock. A hearty thanks to all.

This is bad news. I have downloaded many firmwares from that site. It was the No1 source for moded firmwares. I still have most of them on file (and some of the drives).
I remember all the discussions here about write strategys and overspeeding. And I still only buy liteons so I can scan :stuck_out_tongue:
I guess it was to be expected with the decline of optical drives. Although I have 2 on mine (a DVD and a BluRay). Streaming and torrents are the main source of movies these days. Noone rips them from DVD any more. The end of an era…

Thank you for everything, team RPC1.org.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2767047]Thank you for everything, team RPC1.org.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed! :iagree:

This is unfortunately the end of an era.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thank you!

I downloaded a number of dvd firmwares from them back in the day.   Sort of went away when I moved to the world of bluray.   Most likely because region locking isn’t nearly as proliferent (it seems region free blurays are much more common than region locked ones).

A very sad day. Their firmware database has become increasingly valuable as manufacturers’ own sites disappear and the forum is the primary source of kernels for crossflashing Pioneer drives.

They also host the sites of The Dangerous Brothers, Codeguys and others, including some invaluable tools. So the loss will be far greater than one might think.

[u][b]These resources must be saved.

[/b][/u]Is there anyone out there prepared to take on the task?

If there was an easy way to crawl through all that material, maybe.

I remember that in the past (maybe 10 years ago) I used a tool called HTTrack to copy whole websites. It had some nice features at that time, not sure who useful it could still be for this job.

^Not sure either, but there are two paid alternatives available to me… TelePort Ultra and Portable Offline Browser.

If someone have all the different domain/subdomain names, I can give it a shot. What I do know is that since we enter the site straight into a forum, this will be a messy offlining project as it will go on until it bites itself in the tail or fail before starting for the most.

If anyone else would like to give it a go using HTTrack, here are some more info:
The structure on disk will be messy if files are hosted in other locations. This is so because you must include everything possible in terms of info and binaries to not loose anything and so extensions matching a list must be accepted also from other servers. Here is my common list:
.7z;.ace;.arc;.arj;.bin;.bup;.cdi.cue;.ccd;.diz;.dll;.doc;.exe;.flp;.gm;.gz;.ifo;.ima;.img;.imz;.ion;.iso;.jar;.man;.mdf;.mds;.nfo.nrg;.ocx;.odf;.odt;.pak;.pdf;.rar;.rtf;.sub;.tar;.txt;.uue;.vob;.vbs;.vfl;.zip;.zoo

This list should have other extentions added or some remove depending on the nature of the site added and so naturally, .mp3, .mid, .flac, .ogg, .sf2 and others will be added to the line for a music site, and for an Amiga related site, .dms, .lzh, .lha, .adf…

I also know that the only packer to use to archive websites is 7zip and usually not Zip as the difference can be like this actual example on my harddrive:
Unpacked: 308MB
Zipped: 161MB
7zipped: 32MB
Get my drift? The difference can be huge, but depends on the contents of the site of course…

EDIT: It should be mentioned that I offline old sites usually and so the archive formats include quite a few obsolete ones :flower: