Family Ties

I’m currently engaged in a DVD argument in another forum and could use some proper linking.

The whole “Model X from Benq is actually Model Y from Philips rebadged” is starting to get on my nerves, so I’d like to establish a “family tree” of who manufactures what for whom.

For instance, I was told Plextor was actually Benq rebadged. And I have no way to counter it, even though I’m pretty sure that’s not true.

Aopen, LG, TDK, Plextor, Benq, Sony, Samsung, Nec, Philips, HP and LiteON are my primary interests, but I’m interested in the rest of them as well.

Any links, topics or information you offer?

Things like “Plextor was actually Benq rebadged” are no general rules, they only apply to specific and limited models.

Errr… that tells me nothing :frowning:

As far as I know there is no “cheat sheet” for this. One particular Plextor model is actually made by Benq, the rest of the Plextor line is made by Plextor. Several Sony models are made by Liteon. There used to be several Sony models that were actually made by OptoRite, but I don’t think that is true any more. The Pioneer drives use chipsets made by Nec, but the drives are made by Pioneer, and they are otherwise dissimiliar – you cannot crossflash the firmware, and their performance is very different.

Asus 1608 <== Pioneer 108
Asus 1608P <== Pioneer 109
Asus 1608P2 <== Pioneer 110

Plextor 740 <== Benq 1640

various Sony models <== various Liteon models

It seems that this might be a worthwhile task, to compile such a cross-reference table, and keep it stickied at the top here.

Found this, seems interesting for LiteON/Sony.

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/dvdrw_overview.html

CDRLabs also claims in their reviews that the TDK 880N is based off the NEC ND2500.

I do wish there was a cheat sheet around though :frowning: