Family computer upgrade

I’m looking to upgrade the family computer (used mostly for web browsing & Office applications. I’m trying to decide between 2 different processor configurations. Both options have same HD, RAM, etc. The 1st option is an AMD Athlon x2 Dual-Core Processor 7450. My understanding is that this operates on a 32 bit system. The other is an AMD Athlon II x2 215. This is a 64 bit system. I’m trying to decide whether to get the better processor @ 32 bits or the lesser processor @ 64 & how each will affect usage. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=we5dorrs;2456097]I’m looking to upgrade the family computer (used mostly for web browsing & Office applications. I’m trying to decide between 2 different processor configurations. Both options have same HD, RAM, etc. The 1st option is an AMD Athlon x2 Dual-Core Processor 7450. My understanding is that this operates on a 32 bit system. The other is an AMD Athlon II x2 215. This is a 64 bit system. I’m trying to decide whether to get the better processor @ 32 bits or the lesser processor @ 64 & how each will affect usage. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

32 and 64 bit only really matters on the software side and CPU speed. I would stay with the latest processor as this will allow you to go higher speeds. Even if you just surf the net and office applications. The newer CPU is still the better route to go in performance and upgradability. As with 32 and 64 bit that really applies to the driver and software that would use it a 32bit will run at 32 regardless if it is a 64bit system. Only when you match 64 bit software to the 64 bit CPU will you see a improvements. I have currently a AMD x940 Phenom II system and it works wonders I did spend a pretty penny so I can play high level GPU game with a good GPU card though. And with any CPU makes sure if you use XP at least go 4G RAM and for 64 O/S go with at least 8G if possible. But as anything it comes down to spend your money on the newer CPU that will give you the best return for your money even if you just surf and do office.

thanks for the quick response. if i’m understanding you correctly, you would recommend the 64 bit processor?

Both CPU’s are 64-bit capable.

Whether or not you use the extra bits is dependant on the O/S you install. At this point in the game there really is no reason to install a 32-bit O/S anymore.

Software and drivers work just fine in the 64-bit world.

Whichever one I buy will have windows 7. Clearly the sales people don’ t know what they are talking about.

Do you have a recommendation between the two processors?

The x2 215 would be the better (newer) choice. Try to get a motherboard with the 785G or 790gx chipset on them.

How much are they charging you for this PC? Are you willing to build one yourself? We can assist you if you wanted to do it.

Since this is a basic use PC it doesn’t really matter if you get a 32 or 64 bit OS, but as already mentioned going 64bit is worth getting (same price too).

780G or 785G would be a better choice than 790GX depending on use
//Danne

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2456125]Both CPU’s are 64-bit capable.

Whether or not you use the extra bits is dependant on the O/S you install. At this point in the game there really is no reason to install a 32-bit O/S anymore.

Software and drivers work just fine in the 64-bit world.[/QUOTE]

For one thing there hasn’t been alot of 64-bit drivers or software so staying with a 32 bit software O/S is the way one should go til they really have support for 64-bit drivers and software and not until then. The x2 215 would be one to go for as it is newer and would have more upgrade possiblilty in the motherboard. I have yet to see the real world 64 bit win7 uses to know if they have enough support for it.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2456145]
Since this is a basic use PC it doesn’t really matter if you get a 32 or 64 bit OS, but as already mentioned going 64bit is worth getting (same price too).[/QUOTE]

But considering how support for drivers and software for 64 bit been sparse and erradic from manufactures. It’s hard to go 64 bit O/S. I have 32 Bit XP Pro Sp3 and it runs perfectly fine as it is.

A 64bit OS is capable of running 32bit software, I’ve been using 64 bit for a while now (~1.5yrs) without any driver issues.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2456481]A 64bit OS is capable of running 32bit software, I’ve been using 64 bit for a while now (~1.5yrs) without any driver issues.[/QUOTE]

Yes it will run it but I am referring to 64 version software and drivers if you go straight 64. Most if not many software companies don’t have 64 but more 32 bit software and drivers.

what happens is that there are 2 programs folders,1-64bit & 1-32bit and the computer automatically saves your drivers to the correct folder
so whenever your program/device gets updated to 64-bit,your ready to go!
plus anything past the 770G chipset has a built in program to overclock the processor (good for at least .5ghz)
nowadays its [U]all about the ram [/U]U need 4G just to enjoy Windows7 with 8G you can have 4 windows open and 2 programs running and it won’t freeze up on you,even when your kids are hogging up all the bandwith on their laptops.:bigsmile: U will B bored with 32 bit by X-mas :cool:

sorry 4 the tirade,I’m a Jack*ss:iagree:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2456448]For one thing there hasn’t been alot of 64-bit drivers or software so staying with a 32 bit software O/S is the way one should go til they really have support for 64-bit drivers and software and not until then. The x2 215 would be one to go for as it is newer and would have more upgrade possiblilty in the motherboard. I have yet to see the real world 64 bit win7 uses to know if they have enough support for it.[/QUOTE]

Saying there is not a lot 64-bit drivers shows you have no experience on the matter, the fact is there are 64-bit drivers for practically everything save some legacy hardware that is no longer supported by the hardware makers, in such cases one should not expect 64-bit drivers.

To date there are plenty of 64-bit applications and as already stated 32-bit apps work perfectly fine in a 64-bit O/S, there are no issues with software compatibility.

The OP is looking for a new family computer, a computer that most likely will not be upgraded for some time, if ever, and will need a very long service life, going 32-bit isn’t going to do that. In his case, going 64-bit is the only answer as it will give him current compatibility as well as room for future growth.

Nothing screams “32-bit computing is dead” more then installing 4GB of RAM and NOT seeing all 4GB of RAM in Windows.

To the OP, computing is about progress and moving forward, the industry stops for no one. While one cannot always buy the latest or newest technologies, there are times buying last years gear can be great deals, the one truism is to completely avoid obsolete technology. Vista was supposed to be the transition stage to 64-bit, but it was so badly borked that it was pushed back to Windows 7. There is no going back.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2456481]A 64bit OS is capable of running 32bit software, I’ve been using 64 bit for a while now (~1.5yrs) without any driver issues.[/QUOTE]

Same here… and I can’t imagine ever reverting back to 32-bit. My Windows and Linux boxes all run 64-bit only.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2456933]Saying there is not a lot 64-bit drivers shows you have no experience on the matter, the fact is there are 64-bit drivers for practically everything save some legacy hardware that is no longer supported by the hardware makers, in such cases one should not expect 64-bit drivers.

To date there are plenty of 64-bit applications and as already stated 32-bit apps work perfectly fine in a 64-bit O/S, there are no issues with software compatibility.

The OP is looking for a new family computer, a computer that most likely will not be upgraded for some time, if ever, and will need a very long service life, going 32-bit isn’t going to do that. In his case, going 64-bit is the only answer as it will give him current compatibility as well as room for future growth.

Nothing screams “32-bit computing is dead” more then installing 4GB of RAM and NOT seeing all 4GB of RAM in Windows.

To the OP, computing is about progress and moving forward, the industry stops for no one. While one cannot always buy the latest or newest technologies, there are times buying last years gear can be great deals, the one truism is to completely avoid obsolete technology. Vista was supposed to be the transition stage to 64-bit, but it was so badly borked that it was pushed back to Windows 7. There is no going back.[/QUOTE]

Really so where did you get the knowledge that you can claim I don’t have experience??? huh?? Explain that??? Since when does did the OP say they wanted to use 32 or 64 bit software??? Other then talking about 32 or 64 bit CPU only?? Sorry but your misinformed there more 32 bit XP and probably older O/S still out there even if they aren’t updated. Maybe users aren’t up to your level of financial status and just need a daily working computer and not the newest toys…and are content with have a good computing experience.

Okay guys, play nice :slight_smile:

While there are way more 32bit programs out there the ~4GB barrier was a big deal, but for a family general purpose PC even 2GB of ram will do the trick with a 32bit OS. We were just recommending that the OP get a PC with a 64bit OS since things are slowly trending that way.

When buying new hardware one just has to choose wisely in order to get good compatibility with the OS and if their lucky 64bit as well. Vista drivers were a big deal for a while and I’m sure Windows 7 will have its problems too.