Falcon FTI DVD+R DL Inkjet Hub Printable (Silver Pearl)

:Z

i can not believe people actually sell this stuff, the printable surface looks like its made from the same stuff lottery tickets are made of.

I can take my finger nail, and using a very light pressure it just scratches right off :a :a :a :a

well thats $50 i won’t be getting back :sad:

I notced the same thing with the +r samples I was sent way back. They do print beautifully though and I’d think most users shouldn’t be scraping the disk after it burned if it’s something they made as a keeper. Back then I did note the issue with my disks as well so people would be informed, but I’m pretty sure that thread is buried on CDRLabs as thats where I found out about the free samples unless my memory is bad.
That may be why they print so well though as whatever it is sure takes the ink/dye nicely.

well im worried about how well they will even hold up from being put into and out of cd sleeves.

however, these disks have indeed redeemed themselves, as they look at least 2x as good as a verbatium print. these disks actually glow lol

and at 4x burn speed which is the fasted my verbatiums would burn at these disks got roughly the same score on cdspeed scan quality test. ill have to do some more burns but so far thats looking good.

i just check SMS and they have these at a $10 discount now, i don’t soppose they would give me that having made my purchase less than a week ago?

[QUOTE=hellbringer;2312599]well im worried about how well they will even hold up from being put into and out of cd sleeves.

however, these disks have indeed redeemed themselves, as they look at least 2x as good as a verbatium print. these disks actually glow lol

and at 4x burn speed which is the fasted my verbatiums would burn at these disks got roughly the same score on cdspeed scan quality test. ill have to do some more burns but so far thats looking good.

i just check SMS and they have these at a $10 discount now, i don’t soppose they would give me that having made my purchase less than a week ago?[/QUOTE]
So far only printing the white Falcon DL’s, but I’ve printed lots of their diamond silver pearl cd’s, and after many trips in and out of the car cd player and cd case sleeves, showing no signs of wear. Doesn’t seem to be too fragile. And that glow :iagree:. Definitely added some pop to my recent album to cd project.
I’m sure if you asked SMS nicely, they’d say…no:sad:.

silver printable is a funny animal. Especially silver pearl ones. It’s basically two layers, one white and then one semi-clear that gives it a frosted look. If you are scratching the surface that would damage it. It’s for inkjet ink not your fingernail :wink:

Well they might want to have a warning on them so folks don’t go slamming them around or scratching at them then freak out when the coating comes off.
I figured it was the way the coating was when it happened to mine when I tried it just to see how durable they were. I don’t think any of the ones I printed and put in sleeves or cases ever had any of the surface scratched off.

I hate to say it but all the silver inkjet surfaces do that. It’s not the coating is coming off per say but it’s damaging the frosty layer (my technical description). I just tried it on Prodisc, Taiyo Yuden, some old crappy Ritek Silver inkjet, MAM-A,
man try it with Watershield silver, shoot I just rubbed my cotton shirt on it and scratched it all up (printed).

Well it must be the way the silver is put on, whatever it’s made of and everyone uses the same coating I guess. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else mention it on other disks but I haven’t searched everywhere to find out.
All the plain white disk I’ve ever had the coating is pretty hard, though you can still smear the ink or scratch it if you try hard enough.
I don’t print a lot of disks so I never really worried about it afterwards anyways just figured be careful with the silver ones.

Probably because silver is not a big player in inkjet printable media that we don’t hear more on the forums about it. I have had a few customers complain about the TY silver inkjet for that reason.

White inkjet is a little bit different. It’s just one layer of white. It can be damaged but it’s not as noticeable. Silver inkjet is trying (poorly) to imitate a thermal disc and the mirror reflection (3 D look). So they have a base coat of white, or some metallic looking ‘color’ and then the frosty coating that is makes the image look like it’s floating…or is supposed to depending on the manufacturer. I’ve seen Ritek (AM, USA) coat white discs for a silver finish. Last time I ever bought them. White is kind of cheating because it is not a silver. Silver is very difficult to produce consistently. TY and Verbatim are about the only ones to pull it off over a long period of time. Obviously FTI has not been able to pull it off and is just coating white discs with a frosty coating. That’s not fair cricket as they say.

This sounds remotely like the TY Watershield Silver that surfaced last winter. Those are glossy though, are the Falcon discs glossy?

Just your usual [B]silver inkjet printable[/B] although a similar process is in place. And no this has nothing to do with Watershield I was just using it as an example of even worse ‘scratching’ on the ‘unprinted’ printing layer.

You do know that silver inkjet printable media has been around a lot longer then the Watershield silver version? :flower: That is a clear finish, not the matte most of us are used to in silver inkjet. You will notice a difference in blacks on the Watershield as most colors are not as vibrant as on white? matte silver inkjet has better blacks and vibrant colors. It is an interesting surface but a little unpredictable on the ‘look’. Same thing can be said for matte inkjet printable :iagree:

Anyway

In the Watershield case they are not frosted and instead have a clear coat (ink absorbent). If one runs a fingernail across any of the silver inkjet printable media it will cause a surface scratch. It’s only on the first printing layer, the second opaque one is fine along with the lacquer coat and then the reflective layer, then the dye layer, I don’t know how else to explain it?

Now if one sees little very shiny silver flakes on the disc surface (and your hand, drive…everywhere) then you have a problem. :p:sad: