Falcon BD-R media - Pro vs. Value

vbimport

I just received my order of Falcon BD-R media. This is the first time I am going to try Falcon as a brand, so I am excited. But what concerns me is: I was thinking I was buying “Pro” grade media and I received their “Value” line. I ordered this media and you can clearly see that the label says “Pro” on it:

Although the title or the description does not specifically say that these are Pro media, it does not mention “Value” either.
Should I be concerned or will these perform just as good as their Pro line?

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2617912]I just received my order of Falcon BD-R media. This is the first time I am going to try Falcon as a brand, so I am excited. But what concerns me is: I was thinking I was buying “Pro” grade media and I received their “Value” line. I ordered this media and you can clearly see that the label says “Pro” on it:

Although the title or the description does not specifically say that these are Pro media, it does not mention “Value” either.
Should I be concerned or will these perform just as good as their Pro line?[/QUOTE]

I would contact them and ask why they are selling Value when the picture on the web site shows Pro. They are probably decent quality similar to the SmartBlu sold by MegaMediaMall in the U.S. I would complain alot, that is B.S. business practice let them know that. The standard Falcon DVDs are always noted as Pro and Corporate. Tell them you wanted Pro not value and you are very upset. None of the BD-R pictured on their site say value or corporate.

I did run into a mixup once with an order from duplication.ca where I didn’t receive the correct media and they were quick to remedy the situation. Contact them and point out the fact that the item’s web page is clearly advertising Falcon Pro’s and that is what you required.

Regarding performance, FTI is serious about letting nothing short of high quality BD-R's leave their factory. I've tried all grades of their BD-R's, and doing quality scans with a consumer drive you really can't tell the difference between excellent, excellent+, and excellent++. The high end Falcons are simply more bullet-proof for professional use in overworked BD duplication towers burning at high speeds under conditions that can coaster even a good quality BD-R. For home use, even the value grade is a big step up from most other brands available. You would not be disappointed with them.

But you have every right to demand that Dup.ca fills your order with the product they were clearly presenting on that page. Shake em up and get them to correct that ad before they find themselves with a lot of RMA's ;).

Thank you jamescooley1 and deanwillty. I will contact them, but I would prefer to keep the media as I need them and do not want to wait 2 weeks or more to have them exchanged. Maybe they will offer me store credit or some sort of a discount instead. I am confident that this media will be as good as the Verbatims I use now, but I feel deceived as I was under the clear impression that I am buying Pro grade media… I will see what they will say…

I got a reply from them that they are very sorry, they fixed the image and that the Pro grade media is a higher price with a minimum order of 300 pcs and whether I would like to get a quote for one carton :eek: Needless to say that I ordered only 50 pcs. I am not very impressed and I will make sure to write a review on reseller ratings with either 2 or 3 stars. :doh:

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2618015]I got a reply from them that they are very sorry, they fixed the image and that the Pro grade media is a higher price with a minimum order of 300 pcs and whether I would like to get a quote for one carton :eek: Needless to say that I ordered only 50 pcs. I am not very impressed and I will make sure to write a review on reseller ratings with either 2 or 3 stars. :doh:[/QUOTE]

Thanks,
Those %$#^&*@! give them 0 stars :bigsmile:

Hey,

I am also considering buying some discs from duplicator.ca

I tried to buy from media mega mall (the SmartBlu discs) but they don’t ship to Canada! Could you please tell me what the Media ID (MID) code was of your Falcon Value discs?

I assume Falcon Pro discs are TDK’s…but just wanted to see what the Value one’s come up as.

[QUOTE=ne0nlightz;2625353]Hey,

I tried to buy from media mega mall (the SmartBlu discs) but they don’t ship to Canada! Could you please tell me what the Media ID (MID) code was of your Falcon Value discs?

I assume Falcon Pro discs are TDK’s…but just wanted to see what the Value one’s come up as.[/QUOTE]

The spindles indicate Made in UAE so I would guess they are also TDK. I hope Thrasher sees this so he can report on the quality.

[QUOTE=ne0nlightz;2625353]Hey,

I assume Falcon Pro discs are TDK’s…but just wanted to see what the Value one’s come up as.[/QUOTE]

I’d like to hear Thrasher’s experiences with them too. But in the meantime, I’m told by FTI that all their BD-R’s sold in North America are TDK’s. I notice that Dup.ca is out of the value’s. Blankmedia has them, along with Falcon’s new best of the best of the best 4x Plus BD-R’s for less than I expected to see them at. $2.00/ea. Those are the top end in their TDK’s. And I’m a little jealous that you can get their glossy BD-R’s for a little over $3.00/ea. I pay almost $4.00/ea. down here :sad:. I’m told that they are working on reducing the cost of the glossy coating process. Wish they’d hurry up. The few other glossy BD-R available are truly cr@p media, not worth bothering with.

Unfortunately I can’t depend on blank media.ca!

I ordered their Imation BD-R discs cause it said TDKBLD MID code and made in japan. I got them a week ago, and checked it out and the Imation’s were actually Made in Taiwan!!!

And when I checked out a disc, it was the RITEKBR2! The horror! LOL

I was upset and sent them back, just got the refund money yesterday. I paid 49$ and they gave me 39$ back. apparently the lady is not refunding me the cost of shipping.

Apparently their return policy says they cannot guarantee the MID code that is up there. I spoke to their Sales Manager - Tom who said there are and can be changes in MID they don’t stand by those and they can change.

I’m pissed :((((… waiting for some good discs.

You know the funny thing? I was on Live Chat (on their website) – MegaMediaMall last week, spoke to a lady named Lindsey. She said they do ship to Canada. So I called in the next day and wanted to place an order, some other guy was there and said they don’t ship to canada. Wtf? And then they told me to speak to Bret (I guess the owner?) and I couldn’t get ahold of him until 2 days ago, and on Live Chat I spoke to a guy named Kevin who confirmed with me from Bart that they don’t ship to Canada!

I sent him the email correspondence between me and Lindsey and he said someone else in the company must have sent an email on her behalf because she curiously left the company before March 1st (the day the email was sent to me). This is some Sherlock Holmes Detective stuff! lmao

Meant Bart not Bret. Whoops.

Anyways didn’t wanna get side tracked. I hope Thrasher chimes in to let us know the MID on those Falcon Value Discs

[QUOTE=ne0nlightz;2625550]Unfortunately I can’t depend on blank media.ca!

I ordered their Imation BD-R discs cause it said TDKBLD MID code and made in japan. I got them a week ago, and checked it out and the Imation’s were actually Made in Taiwan!!!

And when I checked out a disc, it was the RITEKBR2! The horror! LOL

I was upset and sent them back, just got the refund money yesterday. I paid 49$ and they gave me 39$ back. apparently the lady is not refunding me the cost of shipping.

Apparently their return policy says they cannot guarantee the MID code that is up there. I spoke to their Sales Manager - Tom who said there are and can be changes in MID they don’t stand by those and they can change.

I’m pissed :((((… waiting for some good discs.

You know the funny thing? I was on Live Chat (on their website) – MegaMediaMall last week, spoke to a lady named Lindsey. She said they do ship to Canada. So I called in the next day and wanted to place an order, some other guy was there and said they don’t ship to canada. Wtf? And then they told me to speak to Bret (I guess the owner?) and I couldn’t get ahold of him until 2 days ago, and on Live Chat I spoke to a guy named Kevin who confirmed with me from Bart that they don’t ship to Canada!

I sent him the email correspondence between me and Lindsey and he said someone else in the company must have sent an email on her behalf because she curiously left the company before March 1st (the day the email was sent to me). This is some Sherlock Holmes Detective stuff! lmao[/QUOTE]

I know exactly how you feel :a

Nearly every brand has resorted to outsourcing their media. The only 2 branded spindles I’m aware of that are guaranteed to contain BD-R’s made by that manufacturer are Panasonic and Falcon. And perhaps Ritek. CMCMAG’s are showing up in Verbatim labeled spindles outside of North America. Don’t know how soon we’ll be seeing that here.

Falcon is only manufacturing TDK MID BD-R’s with the original Japanese materials and technology. Please contact Fred Perez- fred.perez@falconrak.com - with your concerns to verify that anything with the Falcon label in North America contains the same Falcon-made BD-R’s.

Sad that TDK and Imation labeled BD-R’s are almost entirely Riteks now. Buying Falcons is one of the few ways left to be certain of what you are getting.

That mix-up at MMM had to be frustrating. Just find your best deal on Falcons up there to get the most for your money among the top-tier stuff. The Falcon “value” BD-R are TDK’s down here. Double check with Fred to put your mind at ease about the Canadian stock.

Thanks dean!!!

I emailed him, hope its all high grade tdk ;).

I just wanted to ask you though, you said that Verbatim labeled spindles were showing up as CMCMAG outside of North America.

But what about Inside of North America? Are they currently still using Verbatim’s own code? I thought I also read where Verbatim discs sold here in North America were using Moser Baer?

I’ve been eyeing on getting a few Verbatim single layer 10pk’s and the 25pk spindle…
I see two different manufacturer numbers (Not MiD): 97238 and 96769 (10pk)
and 97457 (25pk spindle)

I wouldn’t mind Verbatim’s made in Singapore, or Verbs made in Japan…with Verbatim’s own code, or the MKM code. You have any idea if the code is better if buying in 10pks rather than spindles?

There’s also one more complicated factor: 2x discs vs 4x discs vs 6x. I’ve looked on these boards, and in the past (few years ago)…saw that the 2x were made in Japan. I also looked on the boards and found the 4x made by CMC MAG (but I don’t know if those guys that posted were outside of North America…possibly?). And for the 6x I have no idea I was guessing Moser? :S

It should be a law to have the MID labeled on discs. Where’s our consumer protection this is ridiculous having to investigate like this.

deanwitty, thanks for information.

This is allso a problem, what I understand from the forums and reading a lot of stuff here, that you don’t know what you are getting in terms of BD-Rs. The boxs says one thing and the disc something else. I was allso looking for cheap but good media since verbatim and others are to expencive.

I thought I could trust the expencive brands but have learned that they too have some batched and so on outsourced so you can’t expect 100% true verbatims. This is bad indeed. I have order falcon BR-Rs, they have a good price and seem to have just as good quality as the top-of-the-line media. At least it seems I can trust falcon media. You know what you are getting when you buy it. You could trust TDK before, but not any more.

It is allso a problem that a lot of places selling BD-Rs don’t give you a media code or tell you what the media is, only what the box says.

I trust in falcon, seems without a doubt the best over all quality media for a great price.

[QUOTE=ne0nlightz;2625595]Thanks dean!!!

I emailed him, hope its all high grade tdk ;).

I just wanted to ask you though, you said that Verbatim labeled spindles were showing up as CMCMAG outside of North America.

But what about Inside of North America? Are they currently still using Verbatim’s own code? I thought I also read where Verbatim discs sold here in North America were using Moser Baer?

I’ve been eyeing on getting a few Verbatim single layer 10pk’s and the 25pk spindle…
I see two different manufacturer numbers (Not MiD): 97238 and 96769 (10pk)
and 97457 (25pk spindle)

I wouldn’t mind Verbatim’s made in Singapore, or Verbs made in Japan…with Verbatim’s own code, or the MKM code. You have any idea if the code is better if buying in 10pks rather than spindles?

There’s also one more complicated factor: 2x discs vs 4x discs vs 6x. I’ve looked on these boards, and in the past (few years ago)…saw that the 2x were made in Japan. I also looked on the boards and found the 4x made by CMC MAG (but I don’t know if those guys that posted were outside of North America…possibly?). And for the 6x I have no idea I was guessing Moser? :S

It should be a law to have the MID labeled on discs. Where’s our consumer protection this is ridiculous having to investigate like this.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it. Amazing how quickly the BD-R market has turned into a cockroach infested jungle. Glad to share my bug-spray with you :bigsmile:. Let us know what you learn about Falcon Canada.

HTL SL Verb’s are made in Taiwan by CMC and have the VERBATIM MID down here so far. Verb BD-R DL and LTH SL are available made in Singapore. Verbatim SL DVD’s are made by MBI. Verbatim DVD+R DL’s in the DataLifePlus package are still made in Singapore. Falcon also makes Verbatim DL’s sold as Falcon DVD+R DL Premium. Hub printable and available in Canada.

Yes it should be law. But until it is, manufacturers will continue to make more profit and take advantage of the average consumer with their usual bait and switch business model.

[QUOTE=Dennis_Olof;2625645]deanwitty, thanks for information.

This is allso a problem, what I understand from the forums and reading a lot of stuff here, that you don’t know what you are getting in terms of BD-Rs. The boxs says one thing and the disc something else. I was allso looking for cheap but good media since verbatim and others are to expencive.

I thought I could trust the expencive brands but have learned that they too have some batched and so on outsourced so you can’t expect 100% true verbatims. This is bad indeed. I have order falcon BR-Rs, they have a good price and seem to have just as good quality as the top-of-the-line media. At least it seems I can trust falcon media. You know what you are getting when you buy it. You could trust TDK before, but not any more.

It is allso a problem that a lot of places selling BD-Rs don’t give you a media code or tell you what the media is, only what the box says.

I trust in falcon, seems without a doubt the best over all quality media for a great price.[/QUOTE]
You’re welcome. And you’re absolutely right. Companies like TDK and Sony are still charging high prices but giving you Riteks that you could have bought for far less from a bargain label. Sad that Verbatim seems to be heading down that same road.

I think Falcon was very smart to license the TDK BD-R MID and technology. Its likely that their choice to use the original Japanese materials is a real factor in the high quality we are seeing. They burn so well on such a wide range of burners that its clear to me that TDK’s original BD-R design can be one of the best.

deanwitty, yeah you are right.

It would seem that a few years back when TDK (as I understand) was producing BD-Rs in japan they where a bit cheaper than verbatims at the time, but the most important thing is that they had great quality. Now that verbatim, TDK, and even other brands have a mix of batched made in several places. I say you can’t trust them any more as you could be paying a high price for media you would count on as having high quality. It could just as well be half quality or even bad, ritek, CMC or other batches.

I could understand if they for some reason have to do this, but I see it as a big misstake that the industry behind BD-R forgot to put rules in to force all manufacturers of blu-ray media to put the mediacode on the cakebox and so on. This would have given consumers the option so buy media (regardless of brand name) that they want or can trust. Just as there are people who prefer ritek and so on.

This is having a impact on everyone, and I guess the initial problem was that blu-ray is expencive (I was and still are in the HD-DVD camp) and other problems as well with media and so on. But for just manufacturing standard blu-ray movies and so on, this is not a problem as they just make them same way as a CD, even though they hold more information etc. And today with even better technology I guess they could have produces boosted HD-DVD to larger size etc. But never mind that, it’s gone and not comming back (except for CBHD). At least with DVDs half quality or good quality was OK as the technology wasn’t as sensetive as blu-ray is.

So the problem for me is, what other media can you trust other than Falcon / FTI. Taiyo Yuden is good, if you have the real thing and not the fake ones. But are they pulling out of the game, who knows, they are having economic problems. And from what I can tell here, panasonic, philips and other brands, do have different batche, some could be ritek, some CMC and so on.

Would be nice with some information on this, a article with all the brands and what batched have what mediacode and so on.

[B]WARNING!
[/B]
For those who are contemplating buying the 4x BD-R Falcons from APRMedia (UK) or similar discs from other retailers, [B]be warned![/B]

I bought 3 spindles of this media from APR Media early last month: http://www.aprmedia.com/products-7778-falcon_bd-r_1-4x_speed_blu-ray_inkjet_printable_pod_of_25_white_top.html

As you can see in the first picture they advertise this media as Falcon Pro media along with a photo of the spindle.

Unfortunately this is not what you are going to receive! What you are going to get is what you see in the second picture (P/N: 3070606504000539).

Now, I could not care less about this misadvertising if the quality of this ‘For Corporate Use’ media would be good or at least decent. Unfortunately it isn’t!

The discs have a TDK MID as you can see below but quality wise this media is complete garbage! Stay well away! I will post a couple of scans in the next few minutes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [BD-R-SL:TDKBLD-RBB-000]
Disc Type :              [BD-R SL : Class 0 - Version 1]
Manufacturer Name :      [TDK Corp.]
Manufacturer ID :        [TDKBLD]
Media Type ID :          [RBB]
Product Revision :       [000]
Stamper Date :           [Not Present On Disc]
Layer Info :             [1 Layer (L0) : 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB) Per Layer]
Blank Disc Capacity :    [12,219,392 Sectors = 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB)]
Recording Speeds :       [1x , 2x , 4x]  
[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

In the past I’ve had 4 spindles of Falcon media which I bought from eBay a while back and which looked exactly like those advertised in the APR Media picture and they were all high quality ones. The quality of this new Falcon media batch is unfortunately absolutely appalling!

Since I trusted the brand, I didn’t bother to open up the spindles and test them straight away when I bought them last month, and now is too late to return them … I’m stuck with 3 spindles of absolute rubbish …

Here are the promised scans…

I knew something was not right with this media as soon as the first burn started…

[B]1st burn/scan[/B] was burned at 4x using a BDR-206M 1.04 drive, which burned my previous Falcon discs flawlessly each and every time … although I selected a 4x burn the drive kept its burn speed to around 2.2x for nearly 1/4 of the disc … still a decent burn I guess, but much poorer than it should be …

[B]2nd burn/scan[/B] was burned at 4x using the same drive. Again, the drive was stuck at a 2x speed for the first 3-4 minutes of the burn, then went to 3.8x and then about half of the discs went back to 2.2x. Normally with a good disc, the drive starts at 3.8x immediately and keeps at 3.8x for the rest of the disc… a poor burn, but not a complete disaster I guess …

The [B]3rd burn[/B] was done on a BH10LS30 1.01 drive. Again this drive burned my previous Falcon discs perfectly, sometimes even slightly better than the Pioneer ones. The disc failed at the lead in stage after struggling for 40 seconds or so … needless to say that was another £1.xx thrown into the bin… complete failure …

The [B]4th burn/scan[/B] (the third picture below) was burned on a BDR-205 1.12 drive. The disc was burned at 3.8x, so I had a little hope that this might well turn out to be an acceptable burn, but then when I scanned it … well see it for yourselves … another disastrous result…

Both of my scanning drives show roughly similar scan results.

I guess Falcon is following the pack nowadays and have started to sell some of their low quality stuff … anything is fair as long as it makes some money I guess … :frowning: Very disappointing! :frowning:

If this is how their discs ‘For Corporate Use’ work, then just imagine how ‘good’ their ‘Value Line’ would be …

Now here are a few typical examples I used to get while burning my previous Falcon 4x BD-R discs (which looked like in the spindle in the first photo) with the same BDR-206M 1.04 and BH10LS30 1.0x…

A huge difference in quality compared with the P/N: 3070606504000539 rubbish!