Fake Verbatim dvd-r media according to a forum, but has quite good scan

vbimport

I yesterday bought some printable unknown brand dvd-r that has the MID MCC03RG20 with a stamper code of DMR H28-8 I3601M10 04. However, this forum says that these dvd’s are fake verbatims.

http://www.movie2digital.de/thread.php?postid=446155

Here is a scan with Nero DiscSpeed 4 using max speed. I burned it with 18x speed using Nero 8 Express. My drive is a LiteOn DVDRW LH-20A1H LL0D. From my understanding, PI Errors below 280 and PI Failures below 4 are acceptable. But my scan of these “fakes” somehow rivals real Verbatims.

Hereis a picture of the dvd’s I bought from the Verbatim website.

Are these really fake verbatims? Thanks.

More details of the scan here.

Scane looks fine I wonder how long the discs will last.

I first thought I have a nice cheap media because it only costs almost half as much as a genuine MCC 004 Verbatim from the same store. I actually thought about buying the whole spool! Any recommendations? Thanks.

[QUOTE=clarence17;2067645]I first thought I have a nice cheap media because it only costs almost half as much as a genuine MCC 004 Verbatim from the same store. I actually thought about buying the whole spool! Any recommendations? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have a bunch of Playo DVDs from Staples the are also fakes but burn well in my PC but my DVD recorders have problem with them, I use them mostly as give aways.

[QUOTE=clarence17;2067638]Are these really fake verbatims? Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they are fake and media with the same stamper code are very widespread. But your media are of quite good quality, however I still wouldn’t trust them for storing anything important :stuck_out_tongue:

The price of the fake one in the store is 20 cents each while the real one is 35 cents each. How did they know about these fakes, via the stamper code? I can’t read German. Btw, where do you guys get the genuine stamper codes? I can’t find the codes from the Verbatim website.

[QUOTE=clarence17;2067732]The price of the fake one in the store is 20 cents each while the real one is 35 cents each. How did they know about these fakes, via the stamper code? I can’t read German. Btw, where do you guys get the genuine stamper codes? I can’t find the codes from the Verbatim website.[/QUOTE]

The stamper codes of legit Verbatims (with MCC MID code) always begin with ZDxxx.
Example: ZD5175-DVR-T47D

Can stamper codes be fakes too? If the MIDs can be faked, why not the stamper codes?

[QUOTE=clarence17;2067752]Can stamper codes be fakes too? If the MIDs can be faked, why not the stamper codes?[/QUOTE]Yes, but they don’t go for such an effort for a few users.
If you have bought “unknown brand”, then it is not Verbatim’s fault…

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2067766]Yes, but they don’t go for such an effort for a few users.
If you have bought “unknown brand”, then it is not Verbatim’s fault…[/QUOTE]

I saw some fake MCC media with MC0003 or MC04 stamper code though :p:bigsmile:

The jitter is what tells you they are fake. Real Verbs rarely have max jitter that high.

With that said, more important than scanning is longevity. These would be fine for giveaways or temp data, but don’t use them for archiving or anything important.

[QUOTE=pepst;2067794]I saw some fake MCC media with MC0003 or MC04 stamper code though :p:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]Umm, care to elaborate? :eek:

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2068928]Umm, care to elaborate? :eek:[/QUOTE]
Some cheap crap brands like Omega, Titanium, Esperanza or Blupop are now selling fake MCC media with stamper code which looks like “DVD-R MC0003” :bigsmile:
Maybe they are trying to fool some semi-noobs with basic knowledge of MIDs.