Fake SH-S202J drive?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S202J / TS-H652J. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Greetings to everyone. I’m new to these forums. As of last week, we purchased a new SH-S202J drive for our pc. To be honest, I didn’t bother to use it until today, because I had no need for it, and the BIOS identified the unit (the tray also opens, and it attempts to read discs; and it was sloppy of me, I know).

So, today I wanted to burn a DVD ISO, and found out that the drive wouldn’t appear listed in My PC, neither would recognize any kind of disc that I put in it. “Ah, a classic”, I said to myself, and marched on to find a driver. I downloaded the firmware updating tool from the Samsung website, which was a pain (as this pc wasn’t connected to the internet until a while ago - I had to find an old USB Wi-Fi antenna that we had laying around, and then put it inside a metal bowl over a chair to get signal, but that’s another story :p). After booting the update tool, my real woes began. Wininquiry lists it as a TG3033K HKX376D 1.0. I found it odd, but I used to have a Sony CD-RW which was actually a Liteon (yeah, no surprise), which led me to believe this could be an outsourced unit. But, lo and behold! The drive has no Samsung logo, something which I had seen, but didn’t pay attention to. It does say “Super Writemaster” with the original logo, though. I then checked the sticker on its back, and it was perfectly legit - it read SH-S202J / SB02, and listed Toshiba/Samsung as the designer. It’s made in Indonesia, and has a small disclaimer which says “Not for sale in Korea”. A google search for the arcane number yielded no results.

To sum it up: I’m troubled, because it isn’t recognized by the original software, but it seems like a real Samsung drive. Furthermore, Windows XP lists it as a “TG3033K HKX376D CdRom SCSI”, but I connected it with an EIDE cable (the manual says that it’s the proper cable, though).

BTW, I set the jumper on the Master position, and we had a DVD reader before this one, so I’m guessing that my hardware supports DVD functionality (it’s an Intel motherboard with a Pentium III).

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been asked on another thread.

What else is on the cable with the drive??

I think I’m not understanding… You mean if it came with a cable? Well, it didn’t, it was in a plastic bag with a Nero 7 Essentials CD-ROM (no original package).

He’s asking if there’s another device on the IDE cable you used to install the Samsung.

Hi and Welcome![quote=Kharan;2142408] As of last week, we purchased a new SH-S202J drive for our pc. To be honest, I didn’t bother to use it until today, because I had no need for it, and the BIOS identified the unit (the tray also opens, and it attempts to read discs; and it was sloppy of me, I know).[/quote]did the Bios identify the drive correctly with its name (TSSTCorp SH-S202J)?

So, today I wanted to burn a DVD ISO, and found out that the drive wouldn’t appear listed in My PC, neither would recognize any kind of disc that I put in it.
Please check device manager if there are any error indicators.

Wininquiry lists it as a TG3033K HKX376D 1.0.
Either your IDE cable is bad (try another one), or the drive isn’t recognised at all, and there is some virtual CD/DVD drive software installed.

The drive has no Samsung logo, something which I had seen, but didn’t pay attention to.
Nothing to be worried about.

To sum it up: I’m troubled, because it isn’t recognized by the original software, but it seems like a real Samsung drive. Furthermore, Windows XP lists it as a “TG3033K HKX376D CdRom SCSI”, but I connected it with an EIDE cable
See above. Replace the cable at first. It is a good idea to use an 80wired 18" (46cm) flat ribbon cable.
Oh, and please check if you used the proper IDE port (in case there is an additional PCI IDE controller onboard).

Michael

First of all, thanks for the replies.

I do have DAEMON Tools installed - now that you mention it, it could what my BIOS is identifying. There are no other devices connected to the IDE cable, and it was working fine, but I guess I’ll have to try another one. The port is the right one, I don’t have a second one, so it could be the cable… but still, the explanation doesn’t convince me really.

The BIOS can’t identify a virtual drive installed only in Windows. There is still something up with how your Samsung is connected.

How exactly is the BIOS identifying the drive?