Failure to burn dvd dl

vbimport

Greetings
cpu: core 2 duo
dvd: LG GH22LS50
burn program: Roxio 10

Used to burn dvd +r dl of data (no movies, no iso etc.) without problem with my former 2 pioneer dvd writers and before with older LG models.
With this new LG (I only burnt 2 medias or so) I cannot burn dvd +r dl succesfully.
I always burn with roxio 10 or recordnow 7.3 without a problem.
and I always use silverline 8x for media.
What happened?
What can I do?
many thanks

First thing I would try is the SW…Try Imgburn, you never know, and this will/should at least rule out the SW Roxio 10…Yeah, yeah, I know, you’ve "always used Roxio before w/o probs, but just for giggles try different burning app(s)…
And AFAIK, Verbatim +R DL media [I]is still[/I] the only recommended DL media around these parts…Yea, yeah I know, you “always” used the Silverline 8x for media w/o probs…Perhaps a firmware upgrade??
Anyhow, good luck!..
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediadvdridsearch=INFOMEDIAR20

Edit: found some interesting media info regarding your particular LG and 8x verbies…Try 2.4x media…
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia/verbatim-dvd-r-mkm-003-8/3781

[QUOTE=sparafucille;2544265]Greetings
cpu: core 2 duo
dvd: LG GH22LS50
burn program: Roxio 10

Used to burn dvd +r dl of data (no movies, no iso etc.) without problem with my former 2 pioneer dvd writers and before with older LG models.
With this new LG (I only burnt 2 medias or so) I cannot burn dvd +r dl succesfully.
I always burn with roxio 10 or recordnow 7.3 without a problem.
and I always use silverline 8x for media.
What happened?
What can I do?
many thanks[/QUOTE]

I have qualms in using Roxio and recordnow as those two problem have be a best problematic at backing to DL or SL media. I avoid using those two programs as they had always given me problems in the past so. If your data is just data why can’t you just copy and paste and write to the dvd with the windows O/S itself?? Also that media type I don’t recognize so that could be the other problem you using bad batch media type. I use Nero 9 to backup data to cd/dvd with more success then Roxio/Recordnow…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2544276]First thing I would try is the SW…Try Imgburn, you never know, and this will/should at least rule out the SW Roxio 10…Yeah, yeah, I know, you’ve "always used Roxio before w/o probs, but just for giggles try different burning app(s)…
And AFAIK, Verbatim +R DL media [I]is still[/I] the only recommended DL media around these parts…Yea, yeah I know, you “always” used the Silverline 8x for media w/o probs…Perhaps a firmware upgrade??
Anyhow, good luck!..
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediadvdridsearch=INFOMEDIAR20

Edit: found some interesting media info regarding your particular LG and 8x verbies…Try 2.4x media…
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia/verbatim-dvd-r-mkm-003-8/3781[/QUOTE]

^ Good all-round advice there :iagree:

Interesting info in the link - I have the NS50 (same drive as the OP but without LS), and I’ve found that’s even a bit fussy with SL media :eek:

I would have to agree with the above in reference to choice of software. IMO, Imgburn has less issues burning DL then the programs listed.

Since I’m a newbie I don’t understand what do the initials SW and AFAIK stand for.
I’m not married to any type of media or burning program, so I’ve already installed imgburn
but I have to clarify what do I mean by failure:
Burns are always “successfully completed” as the program says, but it means nothing.
Next I check the media with CDCheck and I get one crc error on 1 file (I tried and this file cannot be copied back to the disk). and this is what I call a failure.
Meanwhile I had failures (as described above) in burning 4.7GB dvd+r and simple cd, so that the problem is not with dl. I suspect that there is something in my pc that interferes with the burning process: lack of memory or some spyware etc.
After many many years of burning (started with HP x2 scsi) I’m helpless.
First thing I’ll do is to try the recommended imgburn
Thanks a lot so far.

First thing I’ll do is to try the recommended imgburn

Good start!..And do let us know…
And BTW(by the way, AFAIK(as far as I know), SW(software)…Google(google) internet slang…:wink:
Ok, I’ll do it for you this once…
http://www.internetslang.com/default.asp?i=A

many thanks
I’m converted to ImgBurn 2.5.2
didn’t touch the settings and burnt one 4.7GB with success
now I have to see what happens with a 8.5GB
Is there any discussion on best internal DVD writers (burners)?

[QUOTE=sparafucille;2545118]
Is there any discussion on best internal DVD writers (burners)?[/QUOTE]

Lots, all dotted around the forums :wink: - if you post what you require in a burner (good reading ability, LightScribe, preferred brand etc), I’m sure you’ll get some opinions. :slight_smile:

thanks
I have no requirements from a burner, nut I burn a lot (3-4 DVDs of data) so it should be a heavy duty (if one can talk of such entity in dvd writers. I personally doubt it)
I’ll try to follow your hint and find my way in forums

In my experience (others’ of course may differ ;)) LG have been good for being generally hard wearing - got an external, which has seen more than its fair share of burns, that’s still working great after 4 years. :slight_smile:

I’m guessing since LG are mentioned as the drive you have currently though, that a different brand might be worth a look - in that case, I’d recommend taking a look at Samsung. Once again, the ones I have, have lasted a fair while now, and I’ve found they’re also excellent readers (handy if you’ve got some marked or slightly scratched discs), and have burned everything I’ve fed them, from lower quality media to stuff like Verbatim.

For the other threads mentioned, looking in the main DVD Writers forum should help narrow it down a bit. :slight_smile:

Greetings
Now that I converted to ImgBurn 2.5.2, change the settings only to allow long file names, and I still fail in burning dvd +r dl (no failures in 4.7)
I trusted my pc to be strong enough to burn x8 (core 2 duo on a gigabyte board, 2 years old, winxp+sp3).
Should I lower speed to x4?
Are there any special settings for burning dvd9?
thanks again for all your quick and learned replies (really)

Are you still using those Silverline discs (and the LG drive mentioned in your OP)?

If so, I’d seriously consider better quality media. That said, reducing the burn speed to 4x - or 6x if the drive’s firmware supports it on those discs - is definitely worth a shot before looking into other disc brands or even new drives. :iagree:

Also, hopefully someone will be along soon to help you fine-tune your ImgBurn settings if needed. :wink:

thanks to all
reducing speed to x4 solved the problem
1 success so far

[QUOTE=sparafucille;2546753]thanks to all
reducing speed to x4 solved the problem
1 success so far[/QUOTE]

Good stuff :iagree:

I had to do the same with some lesser quality DLs on my Sammy 223F (8x discs, reduced to 6x burn speed).

Just a word to the wise though, going by my experienced with the discs burned successfully @6x - I found that after some time, even my best readers had trouble recognising them. So even though a lesser or mediocre quality disc can be forced to complete a burn at a lower speed, don’t hold your breath for it to still be readable several months down the line. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2547167]Good stuff :iagree:

I had to do the same with some lesser quality DLs on my Sammy 223F (8x discs, reduced to 6x burn speed).

Just a word to the wise though, going by my experienced with the discs burned successfully @6x - I found that after some time, even my best readers had trouble recognising them. So even though a lesser or mediocre quality disc can be forced to complete a burn at a lower speed, don’t hold your breath for it to still be readable several months down the line. ;)[/QUOTE]

:iagree:
IIRC, that happened to me awhile back, with some(cough) memo DL’s, I had laying around collecting dust…Ok all, smack me with your best shot!..:wink:

arachne
I have awful experience with samsung. So mine must be an old device (2 years old pc with winxp home)
which model of samsung are you talking about?
and I didn’t burn with imgburn on that pc. Now I’m converted to imgburn + verbatim and I’m willing to try again.
reports will follow.
thanks

[QUOTE=sparafucille;2548775]arachne
I have awful experience with samsung. So mine must be an old device (2 years old pc with winxp home)
which model of samsung are you talking about?
and I didn’t burn with imgburn on that pc. Now I’m converted to imgburn + verbatim and I’m willing to try again.
reports will follow.
thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:

The Sammies I use currently, are a Dell-rebadge of the 223F (TS-H653F) - this is the drive I used on the suspect 8x DL discs, a “proper” 223F, a 203N (all SATA drives), and an external SE-S084C. I also have a couple of IDE Samsung 182D’s, which IMO perform even better than the 223x’s, but sadly they’re rare as hen’s teeth now.

Out of curiosity, what’s the model of the Samsung you mention in your WinXP PC?

ImgBurn + Verbies should do excellently. If not then there’s more that needs investigating I think. One thing I found, though: with the GH22NS50, 8x seems to be the sweet spot for the Verbies I have here. :wink: