Failure, failure and more failures!

vbimport

OK, over the last several DVDFAB version updates I’ve been having alot of failures on various fronts.

First: the update notification no longer works. for the last several versions I have to check the web site manually, as the auto update notification is not working. It does not even work when I manually ask the program to do it when in the settings menu. (overall a minor problem.

The biggest probelems have been:
DVDFAB just stops working and closes, no warning, no error codes, no nothing. Using all three burning engines.

Now I’ve had numerous failures with messages of error 16 and error 100.

these are not listed in dvdfab anywhere.

Here’s the latest failure log with error code 100. Task_3 failue! Backing up The Incredibles…

2008-12-19 22:34:17 Info WRITE SUCCESS: Disc written
2008-12-19 22:34:17 Info Finalization Time 00:00:24 - Total completion time 00:15:44
2008-12-19 22:33:52 Info Write finished in 00:15:20 - Finalization start here. Avg. burn rate 3.87
2008-12-19 22:18:53 Info Lead-in burning time (mS) 0
2008-12-19 22:18:32 Info Write started 2190944 sectors to write
2008-12-19 22:18:32 Info Init success: DVD+R
2008-12-19 22:18:32 Info Writing speed requested x4.0, effective x4.0
2008-12-19 22:18:32 Info Available write speed: 16x, 12x, 8x, 4x,
2008-12-19 22:18:32 Info Media ID: CMC MAG-M01-00
2008-12-19 22:18:32 Info Media type: DVD+R
2008-12-19 22:18:32 Info Ultra DMA mode 2 (ATA33)
2008-12-19 22:18:29 Info Scanned files #9, folder #2 - total size 4485949440 b. (4.18 Gb.)
2008-12-19 22:18:29 Info Inserted media type : DVD+R
2008-12-19 22:18:29 Info Write started
2008-12-19 22:02:40 Info New media (DVD+R) inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info Compatible media types : DVD-R, DVD-RW Seq., DVD-RW RO, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, DL DVD+R
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info Drive has IDE-ATAPI physical interface
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info New Drive selected : 1:0:0 - DVDRW IDE 16X A091 [E] (Ide)
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - DVDRW IDE 16X A091 [E] (Ide)
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 Async. Access mode
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info System default language : English (United States)
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info User default language : English (United States)
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info DLL Version : 3.2.2.402
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info DLL : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\vso_hwe.dll
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info Version : 5, 2, 2, 0
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info ExeName : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\DVDFab.exe
2008-12-19 22:02:37 Info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional (build 2600) with Service Pack 3 5.1
2008-12-19 22:02:37 ---- ******************** Log session start 19-Dec 22:02:37.812 PID 796********************

Did you uninstall all previous versions before installing the new versions? I would uninstall dvdfab and then reinstall the lastest version and see if that doesn’t fix the problem. Also what burn speed are you burning at and what media are you using? It best to uncheck the box that automatically checks for update as you said you can check on that yourself.

IN regard to the installations: These problems got so bad I actually formatted the drive and started over on a fresh drive and install and the problems persisted. From that point on I followed the DVDFAD instructions to install new versions on top of the old ones. I will certainly try a remove and reinstall as you have suggested.

Burn speed is 4X on Memorex DVD+R 16X, which I know are not the best, but I have been using since day one and had no problems until recently.

The error codes of 16 and 100 do not seem to be found anywhere?

Also, why does my burn log now not have all of the info in it? The log sems very useless the way it is currently logging the burn data.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you’re still having problems. I took a look at your previous thread from Oct. I know you said you’ve been using CMC media without problems until maybe Oct or so, but I can’t stress enough that you need to change blank media as we suggested previously.

The [B]CMC MAG-M01-00[/B] stuff you’re using is marginal to crap for video archiving

This process of burning dvds is not static, despite the fact you’re still using the same hardware, firmware and media.

Please pick up some Verbatim media…you can find it almost anywhere…brick & mortar stores and online. Taiyo Yuden is an excellent choice, but only available online.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but your BTC/Emprex burner is a bit problematic and has lousy firmware support. I think your drive is at least 4 years old. You would be pleasantly surprised with a new, quality burner, delivered to your door for a very reasonable price.

Anyway, definitely try better quality media.

Good luck

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-movies-routinely-seem-fail-around-3-4-through-255416/

Why can’t anyoine answer what these error codes are?
Why does DVDFAB not write a complete logg as it used too?
The failures from Oct were solved,

Its Failure and error reports within DVDFAB that are the problem.

The DVD’s that are burnt actually seem to play fine all the way through, BUT DVDFAB is popping error windows with error codes saying that it did not complete, which now seems to be untrue because all the DVD’s which were reported as failed are playing just fine?

The media is one thing and I have every intention of switching as soon as I go through the stack of crap I have.

Its the DVDFAB software that I have ???'S about! error codes with no explainations!!!

where did my burn log go and why does it not have half of the info it used to?

Thanks again

DVDFab error codes
http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/ErrorCodes

[quote=nosvet;2181257]Why can’t anyoine answer what these error codes are?
Why does DVDFAB not write a complete logg as it used too?
The failures from Oct were solved,

Its Failure and error reports within DVDFAB that are the problem.

The DVD’s that are burnt actually seem to play fine all the way through, BUT DVDFAB is popping error windows with error codes saying that it did not complete, which now seems to be untrue because all the DVD’s which were reported as failed are playing just fine?

The media is one thing and I have every intention of switching as soon as I go through the stack of crap I have.

Its the DVDFAB software that I have ???'S about! error codes with no explainations!!!

where did my burn log go and why does it not have half of the info it used to?

Thanks again[/quote]
100. Task_3 failue! is a error that is related to Verify process, and the reason you are having this issue is most like due to low quality media you are using as my good friend maineman said.

It seems other members have informed you on this but it also seems you are not listening to them :frowning: , here is something for you to think about.

The thing about using low quality media is that even though you may not have problem during playback using you standalone dvd player but do however have issues reading or verifing the disc in your PC is because standalone dvd players are not very picky when it comes to reading the data on the discs thus able to read a disc that has scratches and fingerprints.

But when it comes to drives connected to your PC it is another story, and the reason for this is because the drives are more sensitive and finely tuned when it comes to reading that data thus able to detect bad sectors and/or other artifacts on the discs or in the dye that was used.

SJ

P.S…Happy Holidays :flower:

S. Jumper,

I DO appreciate everybody’s input because they know better than me. And I did try imgburn as suggested but it does not seem to want to do an unattened burn, it stops the process and needs user input to start the burn while VSO does not so I’ve been using VSO.

I have never had these errors before using the same stack of media so I was surprised!

I was simply frustrated by the ambiguous error codes that do not seem to be referenced anywhere. Error code 16???

Also, my questions regarding the burn log. Is it different depending on which burn program I use? Because my current logs do not have any real info!compared to my post back in Oct.

Anyway, PLEASE understand that I do listen and try to make the changes as funds permit. Can you shed any light on error 16? and the burn log info question I have?

THANKS TO EVERYONE!

[QUOTE=nosvet;2181503]I did try imgburn as suggested but it does not seem to want to do an unattened burn, it stops the process and needs user input to start the burn while VSO does not so I’ve been using VSO.
[/QUOTE]
Hi again nosvet,

Re:[B] “unattended” SL[/B] burns with Img…make the following changes and the entire process should complete without any need for further user input:

[B]tools > settings > build > don’t prompt image details[/B]

For DL burns, I’m pretty sure you’ll have to choose a layer break option just prior to burning.
A couple things about this. If you create an MDS file with Img, the layer break info is contained in the MDS file so you’re all set.
There’s an option to choose “seamless” layer break in Img.
This may, in fact, let the burn process proceed without user input.
I’m not sure about this though.

Hopefully Troy or Bob will spot this and help us out

Also, again, I’m not meaning to criticize you, but your burner is older and virtually unsupported, so I don’t know that seamless would work for you anyway.

Error 16 is a somewhat nebulous “write error” code. Fengtao would have to look at the specific error code details.

I[I] think [/I]Task_3 Failure refers to verification of the data burned.
IMO, this is a worthless feature with VSO and I wouldn’t bother with it.
Img verification works just fine

VSO has been working ok for me, but I too, have seen errors pop up which don’t seem to affect playback of the bkups at all.
I agree, the burn log for VSO has become next to worthless.

I am also [B]underwhelmed[/B] with support from VSO.
This is in stark contrast to Fengtao who is nothing short of outstanding.
We recently had a VSO support rep visit the Fab subforum.
I suspect he was invited by Fengtao due to all the VSO problems posted by users here.
This this is simply a guess on my part and I have no evidence to the contrary. However, previously his most recent visit here was back in April and we’ve been seeing many VSO related complaints since this past summer.

IMO, he was dismissive, accusatory and offered nothing helpful.
Ultimately, all this has caused me to utilize Img almost exclusively now.
In part, it’s the glitchiness and false (?) errors with VSO and in part, VSO support has just pissed me off.
Img is much more configurable, always works and is currently supported by LUK! and you won’t find a better developer or burn engine

Apologies for the rant.

I have to say that the error codes that DVDFab spits out are beyond pointless. How hard is it take to write proper error reporting code? Being a programmer, I can answer that - no time at all. This is ridiculous.

And to the guy that provided a link to the DVDFab error codes, that link is completely useless when you move beyond Task 2 (whatever the hell that is) and into Task 3 (whatever the hell that is).

[B]General Rants[/B]- It seems to me that the developer(s) on this project would want to keep the user as autonomous as possible so they can concentrate on the code instead of fielding questions that shouldn’t need to be asked. I realize this is complex software, but you guys really need to put more effort into usability and providing the user with methods to perform their own diagnostics.

Further, the “clean install” issue is absurd. If the software has an installer, the accompanying uninstaller should be able to completely remove the application and all of its components. It’s not like this is new stuff as far as windows software is concerned.

NOSVT
What the guy’s are saying are right so try it. Also if
your having trouble downloading the new versions of
DVDFAB may be because your computer may be infected
by a trojan. Try running a virus scan. Then do a system
restore back a few weeks when it was working normal. The
infection may be affecting your dvdfab 5 key.
Good Luck ZAP.:bigsmile:

nosvet,

please buy or borrow a new dvd burning drive. as i truly believe this could solve a lot of your burning problems.