Failed to Flash Optiarc AD-5960S (2AP5) on a Mac Mini w/ OS X 10.7.2

vbimport

I downloaded necflash 1.60 for Mac OS X and tried to flash with 2ap5_auto.bin firmware.
But the flash fails, see the Terminal trace below :

MacMinideDE:~ DE$ /Users/DE/Desktop/necflash -scan
Binflash - NEC version - © by Liggy and Herrie
Visit http://binflash.cdfreaks.com

List of supported devices:

Device : A:
Vendor : OPTIARC
Model : DVD RW AD-5960S
Firmware : 2AP5
MacMinideDE:~ DE$ /Users/DE/Desktop/necflash -flash -v -s /Users/DE/Desktop/2ap5_auto.bin A:
Binflash - NEC version - © by Liggy and Herrie
Visit http://binflash.cdfreaks.com

Identified drive: 122 - 3033
Detected drive from Firmware: 122

You are about to flash your drive with the following firmware:

Vendor: OPTIARC
Identification: DVD RW AD-5960S
Version: 2AP5

Remember no one can be held responsible for any kind of failure!
Are you sure you want to proceed? (y/n) y

Entering safe mode
Sending firmware to drive at 0x030000
Sending firmware to drive at 0x038000
<<<several minutes="" wait="">several minutes wait>>
Error sending firmware to drive
Error while flashing firmware
MacMinideDE:~ DE$ </several>
The drive works fine, and necflash is able to -dump its firmware, but not to -flash it (I tried twice).
I was VERY happy to recover the drive by power off/on (MANY thanks to necflash author(s) ! :D:D:D), and I checked that after the flash error, the dumped firmware was unchanged, identical to the 2AP5 original.

But I still would like to get a region free drive, and thus would greatly appreciate any help to make necflash work.

[ul]
[li] Is this particular drive faulty ? (but it reads DVDs and CDs, -scans and -dumps OK)[/li][li] Is it my speedy configuration ? (I run Lion 10.7.2 on a 2.7GHz i7, with 8GB RAM and a 480GB SSD)[/li][li] Is there something I can do to narrow the problem ?[/li][/ul]
Thanks for any help

PS: I saw other posts with a similar problem, although they did hang at the first block (0x030000), while I hanged at the second (0x038000). I could try the suggestion of using Bootcamp instead of Mac OS X for flashing, except that I found nobody reporting success with that workaround…

After spending days fruitlessly trying to find alternate solutions (DOS boot disk), I finally resigned myself to try the Boot Camp alternative.
It was all the more complicated, since the latest Macs have a Boot Camp which will only accept a Windows 7 install, while I had only Windows XP…

I can now confirm that version 1.61 of Win32 GUI ++DID++ flash my Optiarc AD-5960S (2AP5) on the exact same Mac Mini, where the corresponding Mac OS X version repetitively failed to do it when running under OS X 10.7.2.

If the bug in the Mac OS X version of Binflash cannot be fixed, for whatever reason, it would be great for Mac users if somebody more knowledgeable than me in alternative OS could make a (much) lighter workaround than the Boot Camp one, since this one borders on the ridiculous : 2 GB of Windows 7 installation, hours to install Boot Camp with it, all of that to finally patch less than 30 Bytes of firmware…
Having a DOS or Linux bootable CD working on any Intel Mac would be great :smiley:

[QUOTE=geeji;2622311]
Having a DOS or Linux bootable CD working on any Intel Mac would be great :D[/QUOTE]

Download one or create your own.
Why are Mac users still so uninspired?

[QUOTE=chef;2622532]Download one or create your own.
Why are Mac users still so uninspired?[/QUOTE]
As I explained in this previous post and subsequent ones in the Binflash support (?) forum, I spent DAYS just trying to do that, and unfortunately failed.
When I tried to get some help in this forum, nobody showed up.
Your quip about “uninspired Mac users” would be funny if it was not so insulting :

• why should Mac users be knowledgeable about Windows, DOS or LINUX ? How savvy are you yourself about Mac OS 9 or OS X ?
  • it may have escaped you that plenty of people who are grateful to get a region-less firmware are not full-breed hackers, and that the whole point of this forum is to share tools that even PC dummies like myself can use
  • if the minority is just allowed to suffer silently, thanks to some implicit 80/20 screening rule, then it would be clearer for everybody, and save useless posts from people like myself and you, to explicitly declare that the Mac (and DOS ? (and Linux ??)) tools are NOT supported, and that their bugs should not even be reported since ultimately nobody will help to correct or work around them.

You have 29,549 posts in this forum. You must type way faster than I do. I hope most of them are more constructive, unless you consider the quantity is all that matters.
I don’t.

[QUOTE=geeji;2622598]

You have 29,549 posts in this forum. You must type way faster than I do. I hope most of them are more constructive, unless you consider the quantity is all that matters.
I don’t.[/QUOTE]

[U]Please[/U] calm down.
It seems to me that you only see what you want to see.
Why do I have that amount of posts? Huh, maybe I am way longer a member here than you? What a coincidence?!

[B]I really think you took it too seriously and most important personally…[/B]

I give a darn about mac os 9 etc. Unix/Linux is the source of it and I feel okay using that instead of Mac OS.

And to point it out again: I do really believe that many many Mac users just bought a Mac because they only want to use their mouse to work with, nothing else. [U]It’s my opinion and I don’t see the point why I should hide it.[/U]

Man, no sense to fight over it.

[QUOTE=chef;2622616]I do really believe that many many Mac users just bought a Mac because they only want to use their mouse to work with, nothing else.[/QUOTE]That’s a legitimate reason after all.
While I used to like building my own PCs etc., I haven’t done so in a while and frankly I’m quite happy not to be bothered with troubleshooting when I least expect it. :iagree:

It’s a known issue that the Mac OS X version of Binflash doesn’t work in many cases. As I do have a MacBook but no Optiarc burner unfortunately I can’t test it myself.

kg,

my post was not limited to binflash nor optiarc burners. Just my own opinion.