Failed to flash a 48126S to a 52246S

I just got the 6S02 firmware, extracted by boskin, I think it was, and tried it on my 48126S (with a 2S0D fw). I backuped it up and all that using a bootable floppy disk with the command line:

mtkflash “3” r /b /m 2s0d.bin

It finished and told me to restart, so I did. Then I did the actual flashing with:

mtkflash “3” w /b 6s02.bin

It flashed it alright I think, and told me to restart. I did and took out the floppy. When windows got me to desktops, it showed the new hardware detected thing, and said it was a 52246S. Well I thought mission accomplished rite? Wrong, then XP gave me an exceptional error screen, the one in blue, telling me to restart if this was the first time it ever happened, if it repeats blah blah blah. I restarted and it stayed, also during the detection of the writer.

So I flashed it back to a 48126S and the problem went away.

Anyone know why this happened?

Looking at your system I am puzzled where the Lite-on fits in - you have 5 IDE devices listed! I assume that you actually connected it as the secondary master when you flashed it?

Why the apostrophies around the 3? Is that how you used it?

I flashed mine using the same configuration with no problems at all. Did you upgrade XP with SP1? Although I did, and have had no problems, I have seen some strange behaviours with friend’s PCs.

Where does it say he has 5 IDE devices :confused:

Originally posted by I Have Piles
Where does it say he has 5 IDE devices :confused:

2x 80 Gb hardisk drives, 1x dvd rom, 1x plextor and 1x Liteon.

Lol!

He’s got it plugged into the floppy drive connector.

No wonder it blue screens.
:bigsmile:

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
[B]I just got the 6S02 firmware, extracted by boskin, I think it was, and tried it on my 48126S (with a 2S0D fw). I backuped it up and all that using a bootable floppy disk with the command line:

It finished and told me to restart, so I did. Then I did the actual flashing with:

It flashed it alright I think, and told me to restart. I did and took out the floppy. When windows got me to desktops, it showed the new hardware detected thing, and said it was a 52246S. Well I thought mission accomplished rite? Wrong, then XP gave me an exceptional error screen, the one in blue, telling me to restart if this was the first time it ever happened, if it repeats blah blah blah. I restarted and it stayed, also during the detection of the writer.

Anyone know why this happened? [/B]

Best put the Lite-On 48126S into the correct IDE controller like the instructions clearly state:

Now make sure that the drive that you are going to read the firmware from/write firmware to is connected to the main IDE controller and not to a secondary IDE controller card. Also write down/remember how it’s connected.

Thing is, I don’t see how you backed up your firmware or flashed it to the new firmware in the first place if you didn’t. So, the question is, where do you have the 5th drive pluged into? Do you have to two 80GB drives plugged into a RAID IDE controller? You show that you don’t so I assume you have the 5th drive (Lite-on) plugged into your???
:rolleyes: Cryos

Oh man do I have to say this everytime? You guys must all think I’m a newb or something, lol.

That writer is on a different pc as a secondary master, I only listed it in my profile cause I thought it was worth mentioning. Here’s the system spec for that pc. The only changes to it is that its now running WinXP Pro, has 2x256MB RAM, a Geforce2 MX pci graphics card, and there is no more CD-ROMs.

So anyways, I’m to redownload everything and try again. Please tell me your thoughts on why I got those problems cause I may very well still get it this time.

Ok the 52246S’s 6S02 firmware still don’t work, same problem. But when I flashed it to Memorex 52x’s 6WS2 firmware, it worked. Anybody know why?

Does the problem also occur under Win 2000, maybe in another PC?

How big was the file? about 512 Kb? Where did you download it?

If it was from my webpage. dam RadioLAN 1 Mbit/s does not work properly at night. only at day time. :frowning: My internet provider say that they are going to fix it about a month or so… Hope they fix it soon. I’m realy mad at them right now. The transfer rate is about 120 byte/s… Dam hope I get fiberoptiks 10 Mbit/s soon.

Any way… can any one confirm if my firmwares are OK on my webpage? for the Lite-On 52x model???

http://liteon.notrix.net

/Dyzan

Odd … although I’ve never had a 48126S (I started off with a Memorexx 48Maxx 48246S) I know that I have successfully flashed the 6S02 firmware on it to get 52/24/52 and have no problems whatsoever.

Would you consider flashing to 48246S, and trying that out?

If that works, try again to 52246S.

Where does it say hes got 5 IDE devices :confused:

Failed to flash a 48126S to a 52246S
I just got the 6S02 firmware, extracted by boskin, I think it was, and tried it on my 48126S (with a 2S0D fw). I backuped it up and all that using a bootable floppy disk with the command line:

Anyone know why this happened?

I know i am missing something but i cant see where!

Read his signature :wink:

Originally posted by I Have Piles
[B]Where does it say hes got 5 IDE devices :confused:

I know i am missing something but i cant see where! [/B]

If you read his profile signature you will see he has 5 drives listed but he was NOT referring to that system that the Lite-on is listed with. As he just stated:
“I only listed it in my profile cause I thought it was worth mentioning”

So…, he does NOT have 5 drives on the system in his sig. Just a mistake. You aren’t missing anything (except his profile sig). No need to be :confused: . All better now. Cryos

Alrite alrite, sorry for all the confusion, I’ll edit the profile to say its on other pc.

The memorex fw doesnt work well, i get bunch of damaged and a few unreadable sectors when burning something that normally burns at 48x fine.

I’ll try the 48246S one. Can’t believe my luck has turned bad already, I was happy just a few days ago by the fact that I got a 48126S instead of a 48125W I ordered.

Who reads sigs! i have them turned off LOL

What would be wrong with having 5 IDE devices anyway? He might have added more IDE channels via a PCI card.

@ I Have Piles

Can’t mtkflash needs the device to be on one of the four main locations, so if I was to use RAID or other IDE pci card, I’d have to swap it with one of my drives for me to be able to flash it, then I’d flash it back.